The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What (non magic books) do you read? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
213 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Hey,

What kind of non-magic books do you folks read? I get a lot of inspiration for presentations from novels, short stories and poetry. Some of my favorites:

"Outside the Dog Museum" by Jonathan Carroll
"Written on the Body" by Jeanette Winterson
"The City in Which I Love You" by Li-Young Lee
"Art and Physics" by Leonard Shlain
"World of Wonders" by Robertson Davies

Also, has anyone out there read "Carter Beats the Devil" yet? I'm hoping to snag a copy from my local library soon.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3754 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Non magic books for me these days are usually technical manuals having to do with computers or the Internet (Web-design, etc).

Regarding Carter Beats The Devil, I received a first edition hardcover from my brother-in-law for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to read it, but when I do, I'll write something up about it. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Like Steve, I read technical books on Web Design, Flash, etc.

I also read books of fire fighting as that is what I teach in my seminars.

Which brings us to Seminar books and a lot on Guerrilla Marketing books by Jay Conrad Levinson: These books tell how to market yourself cheaply, and effectively on-line as well as in the real business world.

Occasionally, I read sci-fi books like all of the Juassic Park movie books and Dune... several times! And lots of books on dinosaurs.
Dennis Michael
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I read novels by Authur Hailey, Jeaffrey Deaver, David Bladdaci..... anything as long as it is a thriller/mystery. Smile
Bernard Sim
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
Can't beat the Harry Potter books for a darn good read. But are they 'non-magic'?
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
My taste is pretty eclectic. I enjoy good crime fiction, from Doyle, Hammett, Stout,and Chandler, to modern folks like Elmore Leonard, Michael Connelly and James Ellroy. BTW, Void Moon by Connelly features a psychopathic magician. It's a fun read.

I also like biographies by or about hustlers and con men. "You Can't Win!" by Jack Black is a classic of this kind. Other great reads are "McGoorty" by Robert Byrne, and "Side Show" by Howard Bone.

Finally, for the sheer joy of their writing, I like reading the old New Yorker writers (James Thurber, Dorothy Parker, A.J. Liebling, etc.).

Jim
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I like mysteries, action/adventure, science fiction/fantasy, history, biography, and the Bible.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I'm an all non-fiction guy (couldn't tell you why). I enjoy books on physics (most sciences actually), religion, donuts, astronomy, prehistory (again, couldn't tell you why).
Yakworld.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
What books do I read that aren't magic related? Well, I'm currently reading Og Mandino's journal, Secrets of Success and Happiness. Og was a facinating man, and not to shabby of a writer either.

Bible
C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
Ravi Zachariason,
Chuck Coleson, Kingdoms in Conflict
A variety of books on marketing, and selling skills
Books on writing

I tend toward non-fiction, self-enrichment types of books.

Scott
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Steven King for the most part.

Den did you ever read "Last American Heroes Todays Firefighters" by Charles W. Sasser and Michael W. Sasser

:question: Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I rarely read anything not relating to magic. When I do, it is usually true life ghost stories, books about Psychic phenomena & true life mysteries.

Smile
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Quote:
On 2002-02-20 02:10, yakandjak wrote:
I'm an all non-fiction guy (couldn't tell you why). I enjoy books on physics (most sciences actually), religion, donuts, astronomy, prehistory (again, couldn't tell you why).

Who are some of your favorite donut authors. Mine is Duncan Donut. Winchell also puts out good work. Allthough I find some of his work to have holes in the plot.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I personally enjoy a good Tom Clancy novel...but, it has to be the original Tom Clancy, not the Op-Center stuff. I also like the John Grisham novels. Grisham and Clancy, in my opinion, have similar writing styles, just different subject matter.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
I'm working my way through "The hungry little caterpillar" at the moment.
craig fothers
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of craig fothers
I always like reading 'The little mole who knew it was none of his business'

my neice likes it too... Smile

I just finished reading LOTR and I guess next on my non-magic list is 'The Jesus I never knew'.
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I read the "SWORD & SCORCERY" kind of books.
Plus books on the Paranormal, Ghosts and anything creepy for ideas for Bizarre magic
Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4399 Posts

Profile of Paul
I just don't get time to read anymore, but used to be an avid reader.

As a teenager loved SF, things like Aldis' Hothouse, books by Jose Farmer, Harry Harrison, John Wyndham, Clarke.

Then moved on to horror and thrillers, Ludlum, Maclean, Cussler, King, Koontz, Barker etc.

The earlier King books were better I think, Salem's Lot, Firestarter etc.

Read the Edge westerns, not into romance, gangster or War, though read two factual war books.

Various books on the occult/paranormal, like Colin Wilson's work.

Paul Hallas
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Well, you'd think as a fiction writer I'd read more fiction, but the fact is I read mostly non-fiction. I read a great deal of religious books: Hinduism, Budhism, Judaism, Islam etc. Not books about them so much, as their various holy books. I also read a good deal of various mythologies (not Greek and Roman, that got old after third grade). Quantum physics, martial arts, Chinese medicine, some biographies. There is a little fiction though: C.S. Lewis, Ray Bradbury, Frank Herbert, Neil Gaimen...

Sable
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I loved Robert Byrne's book on McGoorty. What a great read that was. (Robert Byrne is a very funny guy. His instructional books on pool are written with the same kind of humorous approach).
ME
haulboss007
View Profile
Regular user
Carlsbad, CA
103 Posts

Profile of haulboss007
Non magic books... That's a tough one, because that's an addiction in it self.

I've been reading the dune books again and I'm trying to learn how to cook better so I've been reading a few cook books.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What (non magic books) do you read? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL