The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Website criticism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tone
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Tone
Hey all,

I've had my website for a little while, just looking for any input you might have.

http://anthonyshechtman.com

Thanks!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Silver on black can be hard for some folks to read. Navigates pretty well, the graphics at the start up move a bit fast.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Tone
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Tone
Thanks, Photius. I debated using the silver/grey text on black...it looks nice, but you're right about reading difficulty. I guess I figured "blurbs" are okay. As far as the graphics, I went for a disorienting feel... as though there are hidden subliminals before it settles down.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out and post your thoughts... any one agree/disagree with Photius or have other thoughts about the site?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
The silver text is fine with me.
I would like to see more reasons to hire you as a mentalist (On the site that is!!)- Some reviews from past clients/audience members, and a little more hype about the show itself. Do you have any performance video? Something to think about.

Love the graphic work and the stylization of the entire site.

Have fun at the lounge Saturday!

Hopefully I'll be able to catch a show soon!
Gwyd
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I like the graphical nature of the site but my biggest problem for me is not knowing exactly who your target audience is for the site. If the site is aimed at getting prospects to book your show, then having an area for your art would only confuse them and should not be on there. Your work is really nice, but my point is that the site has to be targeted to the people you are most trying to reach. If the mission of the site is to generate gigs, then that only gets in the way. Same would apply to your music section. As nice as these both are, you have to ask yourself does it help me to attract prospects and does it help answer their questions in regards to why I feel they should hire me for their event. The site just seems really disjointed now. For me personally it does not say or tell me enough about your magic and what you do and how you can best meet my needs as a client. Hope this helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
The question I had was "TONE"? I am assuming that is your stage name, but you use your real name very often and prominently. If you are also Tone, then that should be more directly stated or explained. . .

Ok, I just went back and read it again. I get it now Tone is short for Anthony, right? Maybe I'm slow, but I read it with a long "O" and a silent "E". Perhaps you could mention your name the first time as Anthony (Tone) Shechtman.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Scott: I also read it as Tone with the e silent. What if it was done with a line over the e? This way it not only explains how it should be pronounced, but it also looks stylish.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 16:09, gsidhe wrote:

I would like to see more reasons to hire you as a mentalist (On the site that is!!)-

Hopefully I'll be able to catch a show soon!
Gwyd

OHH...He is a mentalist?? I visited the site and I thought he was an artist and not sure the FONT was large to read and my eyes had to focus...

So work on the font and who you are.... Smile

The layout is cool.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
He isn't an artist?

My advice: Get rid of the long, long, intro. The intro is not interesting enough to be that long, the colored boxes don't fit with the design and feel of the rest of the site, and the motion graphics are awkward.

The last thing would be to define who you are. Are you a magician, an artist, or a comic book artist?

Other than that, the site seems to have good functions and be well authored.

Best wishes,
Kevin
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
You definitely have graphical talent -- the site is smooth and looks great.

I do, however, agree with the other comments. Nail down for yourself...what are you trying to sell with this page?

-- artist?
-- mentalist?
-- musician?
-- secret theater video guy?

I think by offering yourself in all these professions, you'll confuse your prospects. If I'm looking for a graphic designer, I want someone who specializes in
graphic design...what's this stuff about fortune telling?

If you're selling your skills as a fortune teller, why do I care that you're a talented musician?

You're obviously talented and able to pull together a classy website. IMO, you should go the next step: pull together four classy websites, one for each area of focus, and then drive your different business prospects to each one separately.

--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
liberty
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of liberty
I don't like how when you hover over links at the top, they jump size. Color is enough to change.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Get a different website for each of your different personas. If I want to hire a mentalist, I don't care if he's musical or he can draw. I want to know he's a good mentalist and not a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
Tone,

Your site is cool, but remember to take what these guys say here with a grain of salt. Do what you do and don't seek the admiration of others... You'll never find it....at least, not at the Café.

Josh London

P.S. Please limit hate mail, I'll be out for a while.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Forget hate mail, Josh, I'll just say it: what is your problem?

The kid asks for input. He gets directed, specific direction which makes total sense. No one said his site was terrible. The overwhelming majority of input has been about focusing on his various talents in different ways. I thought it was excellent constructive criticism intended to help. You know, like the slogan of this site?

Obviously, you have some issues with the Café. This sure isn't the thread to air them in. What did you contribute to the discussion? "It's cool." That's a lot of help for the original poster. Then you say, "I'm commenting, but leaving." Your troll-fu is weak. And I fell for it anyway, just lurking here. But as I benefit from the posts of folks like Kyle, I post to balance out your negativity.

Readability and focus are two very important concepts if you are making a promotional site. The input here is exactly what this site is about.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 9:54am
I shouldn't type at 1:26 am - I get cranky and say things like "directed direction."
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Kyle, Jack and Derek hit the nail on the head. If your visitors are confused as to what you do, all the graphic design in the world won't help.

Websites are dirt cheap. You can literally host sites for dollars a year (I'm paying a grand total of $90 a year for ten sites right now. That's $90 total, not each!).

I like the direction you are going, but think you should do as the others mentioned and branch out with specialized sites.

As to graphic design, I'd have the top menu change color to highlight the current page. I got a little confused as to which page I was currently on. This can be done very easily using CSS.

Good luck with your site!

Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Website criticism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL