The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Oil for the appearing cane? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
Hi, does anyone have a suggestion of what kind of oil is best for an appearing cane made of metal? Also, is it better to leave the cane open, or to collapse it?

Thank you!
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Machine oil worked best for me, or gun oil, just be sure and put on a light coat, then wipe it off very well with a cloth, too much residue effects the cane's operation. Store it collapsed.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11167 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
3-in-1 oil, or sewing machine oil are very good. Store the cane open whenever possible. Find a tube to store it in to keep it safe from accidental damage, dust, etc. Clean and oil the cane after use and before storage to prevent rust.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11167 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Now, my curiosity is up... What is the logic in storing the appearing canes closed? That's contrary to everything I've heard.

Agreed on wiping the excess oil off.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Thank you for these suggestions! Appreciate it!

Regarding storing it -- Trying to figure out which would retain that quickest release.
Motivational Magic
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7450 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I too have keep my cane stored closed for years without a problem. Whatever works for you, I guess.

And I have never oiled my cane. I just occasionally wipe off the outside to remove the residue from fingerprints which can promote rust.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Hi Richard! Surprised to hear that... and kind of relieved a bit, too!
Motivational Magic
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Some article I read way back when in one of the way back when magic magazines suggested storing it collapsed, exactly why I don't know, but I have one over 40 years old, stored that way and it works wonderfully. I also recall at one time reading somewhere a suggestion to occassionally clean it with lighter fluid, dry it well and then oil it. Can't recall if I ever did that, mostly just light machine or gun oil, and wipe it off well.
It is possible that the coil uncoiled might relax the metal too much ,where collapsed that it somehow retains its tension, but to be honest I don't have a clue.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Good o'l WD40,And leave cane open when storing it. It helps the springs.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of soleil
If you use the cheapest indian canes which are very beautiful, no oil is nessesary.
Best,
Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Many thanks to you -- Photius, Don and Soleil! Appreciate your suggestions!
Motivational Magic
Slight of Mind
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Slight of Mind
I use parafin wax, the type large factories use for lubriation it works well... and then I don't have to worry about rusting at all...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22935 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Walsh's instructions suggested using an oil that left a wax coating as it dried, cannot remember the name of it. It may not be available any longer.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2227 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I store my canes closed and not open. It does not affect the spring memory at all provided you are using the Japanese or German canes.

I have tried oil and WD40 but it is messy on your hands after.

I learned from a magician many years ago to apply "Fan Belt Dressing" spray for automobiles to the cane to make it appear silently without the snap sound. I have used this and it does work.

This spray is normally applied to car fan belts which squeak when the airconditioner is on.

It provides a coating to the cane and makes it open silently. I'm not sure if this is available anymore but you could probably find it in big car accessory shops.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3646 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have a Walsh appearing cane I bought in 1965. It's always been stored collapsed. About once every 5 - 10 years, I give it a light coat of 3/1 oil, and wipe it off good with a clean rag. I wouldn't part with this cane for $500. Appears in a flash, and is very rigid once expanded.

Jim
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi Lou,Pleasure to mee you. I was always told and have known to Better leave cane open now and then to help retain the springhiness alive. I use german canes.
Juno Temple
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
58 Posts

Profile of Juno Temple
Greeting Fellow Seers & Shamans,

With all due repect, Father Photius . . . the appearing cane must be left OPEN! Why? The spring-mechanism must be in a 'relaxed' mode, as the pressure on this mechanism in the 'closed' position will ultimately interfere with the capacity to open smoothly, if not snap open with an irregular uncoiling motion.
Indeed, appearing canes should always be stored open, and vanishing canes closed. And with a 'snap' I leave for the 5th dimension . . . success to us all!
We play the Game - but Fate deals the Cards
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22935 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, have to agree with the comments of "leaving the cane closed" for storage. First, my experience, Second, a professional magician who produces many canes in his act laughs when asked this question. Why, his response is that the spring steel is cut to only expand in one direction. He stored all his canes in the closed position.

Just close the cane, then wind the spring tight, that will retain the tension.

More modern canes do not need any oil. The Original Poster did not mention what product he was asking for advice on. I don't know why anyone who has a cane for say 25 years or more would just now be asking such a question. As whatever the answer, it would be to last.

Walsh canes would lose their tension if kept extended, that is why he offered a rewinding service for his canes. Technology and products advance over time, and the old rules do not apply to new products, and the more recent rules do not apply to the old products.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1863 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I would also think that when the Walsh canes were sold in magic shops, the canes were stored on a shelf with the collapsed cane in the box. Ditto with the Harakan canes. The magic shops in Virginia and Maryland where I worked as a demonstrator stored them that way.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Tim Ayres
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Tim Ayres
As a Mechanical Engineer, I suspect that the reason the usual advice is to store the canes in the relaxed position (open for an appearing cane, closed for disappearing) is due to the phenomenon of creep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_%28deformation%29). When materials are subjected to continual stresses (such as a compressed spring) they may relax over time, in this case leading to a reduction in the spring force. However, it is likely that the stresses and temperatures imposed on your typical cane are low enough to preclude this from happening, as evidenced by the posts above that have seen no ill effects from storing the springs compressed. So, to be extra safe you should store them relaxed, but it almost certainly makes no difference.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Oil for the appearing cane? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL