The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Wand with Celtic cross on top. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
I remember seeing this somewhere. I did a google search and a Café search with no luck. Anyone know who makes this?

Thanks!
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I don't think it would be a good idea to mix a wand and cross together, that seems like it would do more harm to the image of Gospel magic than good.
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
You definitely don't want anything with a Celtic cross on it.
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Terry,

I wasn't planning on using one in my act. I was thinking of using the image in some artwork. I respectfully disagree with you however. If I did use one in my act I would point out the cross explaining the true power of His cross and debunk the occult aspect of wands by explaining that their true purpose was to conceal actions or provide misdirection. Anytime I perform I explain that what I do is all slight of hand and I challenge the audience to catch me. This way I never encourage belief in Magic and the occult.

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 15:07, motivationalmagic wrote:

All right, I'll bite. What's wrong with Celtic Crosses?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Ok, Payne, I'll try to explain this one. Unfortunately, if you do a search for Celtic Cross, you get references to tarot decks and a formation for tarot reading. The truth being that both pagans and Irish Christians both use the symbol, but they have totally different meanings. I won't go into the pagan background (you can easily look that up.) The main difference between a Celtic Cross and a plain Cross is the circle, which for an Irish Christian symbolizes the eternal nature of God and the eternal nature of His love for mankind. Some Christians have a problem with the intermingling of pagan and Christian symbols. For me, the Celtic Cross has only a Christian meaning, just as the Christmas tree came from a druid pagan tradition. I don't have a problem with putting a Cross on top of a tree, so I don't see a problem with putting a Cross atop a wand, because for me it changes the meaning behind the wand. Hope this clears it up a bit for you.

Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
It's not a good idea to tell your audience to catch you if they can because you take the entertainment value out of it and now it's a purely a game of trying to catch the magician. Not only that, you've potentially put even a greater focus on what you're doing instead of the message you're sharing because now their focus is on trying to catch you instead of listening to the message you have to share. If you feel like you need to share something to take the edge off your magic, share something along the lines of what Andre Kohl share "there's nothing that he will be doing that a 12 year old with 30 years of practice can't do."
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Hi Terry,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't use the slight of hand challenge bit unless I feel that the group is focused too much on "magic". I've only done it twice. Once when I overheard a parent telling their child that I was a wizard like Harry and once with a heckler who kept yelling, "It's all tricks". My response was something like, " You're right, it's slight of hand. See if you can catch me." He was silent after that. I've gotten good feedback on "the Message" coming across. To be clear, I do explain every time that what I do is slight of hand, after that I try to make my performance as "magical" as possible while keeping the ministry aspect the show as clear as possible.

I always assume that the audience is trying to catch me by the way, it helps me stay sharp. I appreciate the advice, since I've only done about ten shows for larger groups I'm still learning and refining what I do.

In Christ

Dave

Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Dave,

Personally I would not mix religious symbols with any other symbol, be it magic or whatever. We don't want to compare the Word of God with anything else other than what it is. If you don't agree at least consider this from a business standpoint. If you are trying to book yourself in the Christian market you have to make a clear statement to the churches about what you believe. Even if you don't have a problem with the Celtic cross doesn't mean some pastors and church members won't. Why take a chance?

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Or better still, come up with a good, clear address to deliver the message and drop the magic.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Tony and Steve,

Steve,

Every time I perform my introduction includes my Witness. If I dropped the magic I wouldn’t be doing a Gospel magic show. Regarding the tricks, two thirds are Gospel related. For example, I do my chop cup routine in the middle simply to entertain. As I said before, I know the Gospel message is getting across because of feedback afterward. People ask me questions about how I thought to use a certain Scripture with a certain effect, or tell me an effect helped them to see a Scripture passage in a new light. Most of the time people just say they enjoyed the show, and that’s fine. Since I perform a lot for fellow Christians I don’t expect big reactions from them because what I’m sharing they already know. I notice their smiles though, so I must be doing something right.

Tony,

Did you read my posts first? As I said before, I have no intention of using a cross wand or any wand in my act for that matter. Like Rene Lavand, I’m a one handed magician so it’s pretty hard to incorporate a wand into my act anyway. But more to the point, I do understand the religious sensitivity of others and wouldn’t risk offending anyone. I was interested in the wand for a picture for personal use not for use in my act. By the way, I only do magic as a ministry. I never charge and I never will. Marketing isn’t an issue for me as word of mouth is doing the job all by itself. My disagreement with Terry had to do with my thought that the meaning of the Cross would overpower the wand’s symbolism. A question for you guys? Do you use wands and if you do how reconcile their use in Gospel Magic with their connection with witchcraft?

Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
Every time I perform my introduction includes my Witness. If I dropped the magic I wouldn’t be doing a Gospel magic show.

I know. I was just amused by the 'micro-issues' over things like symbols on wands in the context of the larger issue of using magic to teach gospel messages.
No harm intended. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Yes I did read your post and you mentioned using the wand in some "artwork".

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 15:07, motivationalmagic wrote:

That's OK Steve.

I’m sorry for being a bit oversensitive folks but I was feeling a bit persecuted for being Catholic and Irish. I'm sure Motivational Magic didn't mean anything by it. But, there are many Catholic churches and Irish graves with Celtic Crosses on them. I can assure you that there's nothing wrong with that. I also had the feeling that I was misunderstood about my intentions, that I might ruin the reputation of other Christian magicians. I would never do that. Regarding the artwork: I had a fellow Café member, MarD, do some custom artwork. He's also working on some other Christian magician related graphics in addition to what I commissioned. Take a look.

http://www.cafepress.com/ateasetees/3380118

It came out really nice, and there's not a wand in sight. Smile It's pretty obvious, but in case you miss it, the 3 of hearts and the ace of hearts symbolize three Persons, one God - the Trinity. Mike's a really nice guy, and he'd really appreciate the business. Thanks for listening, and God bless.

Dave

Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Viking Manufacturing carries a nice celtic wand that you could possibly use for artistic purposes.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Thanks Obviously.

That's what I was looking for.

Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I'm confused by Steve's comment...Symbols on wands is not a micro issue. I agree with Tony, there are a whole lot of churches that probably would have a problem with the Cross on a magic wand, I being one of them.

Entertainment is the hook that we use to draw people to our program, the venue of entertaining just happens to be magic. As I entertain them, they open up more and thus when I share my Gospel presentation they feel the conviction of God and come forward to accept Christ. It's hard to get the unchurched to church to hear a preacher, but folks will come to see a show and even if they don't come forward, if I've gotten them to laugh, I've given them a dose of biblical medicine...laughter doeth good like a medicine.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 16:14, Terry Owens wrote:
I'm confused by Steve's comment...Symbols on wands is not a micro issue. I agree with Tony, there are a whole lot of churches that probably would have a problem with the Cross on a magic wand, I being one of them.

As there are churches that object to wands period, so why use them at all?

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I'm not trying to provoke with this question, I really am not.

However, I want to know from those who would object to a cross on a wand:

do you also object to an image of Jesus on a playing card? The "king of hearts" motif is common among Gospel magicians.

I am sure there are other possible mixed-image issues people could raise, but this particular one is prominent.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Good point.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Wand with Celtic cross on top. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL