The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Recording voice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have quite a nice camera but the sound quality is not too crash hot when recording in certain spaces. What is the best way to record my voice when doing a straight camera address?
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Hey Nicholas!

The biggest drawback to most cameras (even ones running thousands of dollars) is they have awful microphones. Your going to want to use an external microphone.

First, what type of mic input does your camera have? Some have smaller 1/8" jacks. Some nicer ones have XLR (prosumer and up).

This will limit what type of mic you can use.

What is happening is this mic is picking up all the reverb in the room, the low volume of your voice (relatively speaking) and any extra ambiance. Plus it is recording it to a low quality mic. (Don't take offense, even my $10,000 camera has a crappy mic).

Instead, use either a lapel or tap into your sound board and feed that into the camera directly in the left channel. Then feed the audience reactions to your right channel (assuming you are recording at a show).

By recording you into the left and room audio into the right, you have the ability to mix them in post.

Plus it will do the best thing you can do to improve audio: gets the mic as close as possible to your mouth! Hopefully Dan will be able to weigh in. He's much more knowledgeable than I on these matters!

Scott
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
798 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 19:32, ScottRSullivan wrote:
Hopefully Dan will be able to weigh in. He's much more knowledgeable than I on these matters!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Scott! Can't weigh in for a few days, because I'm off to MagiFest!
Cheers from Toronto (soon in Columbus, OH)!
Dan McLean Jr
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Recording voice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL