The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Watch drawn on wrist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
38 Posts

Profile of kent
At Christmastime my three nieces were excitedly showing me their new watches they had received as gifts. I never wear a watch, and usually wear short sleeves. Kids at Christmas are easily distracted, and while they weren't paying much attention, I quickly drew a very 'cartoony' looking wrist watch on my wrist with a sharpie (we all carry sharpies all the time, right?).

I didn't draw attention to it, but shortly someone asked what was on my arm. I just held it up and said "oh, that's my christmas watch - nice isn't it?"

Now, my nieces thought it was very funny, and goofy. Maybe it was just the fact that an adult would actually draw something on their flesh with a marker! And it kind of did appear from out of nowhere...

But it got me thinking about some kind of routine with a drawn on wrist watch. What, I'm not quite sure! There's a possibility of matching the time to a randomly selected time from a spectators watch. I suppose the 'watch' drawing could appear on your wrist magically if it was covered with some foundation makeup that was wiped off.

And while I don't own it, I'm pretty sure the "Super Sharpie" device could help with such a thing (it's basically a NW, isn't it?).

Any thoughts from any of you pros? Or ams, for that matter!
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Don't know how this would work but it would be cool if you could move the hands on the face of the drawn watch. When you ask someone what time it is you say "Oh I have the wrong time" and show them what's drawn on the watch. You then proceed to change the time on the drawing by moving the hands. Or you could move the watch from your wrist up your arm similar to Nate Kranzo's moving tan line. Just a couple that came off the top of my head.
Rory
kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
38 Posts

Profile of kent
Good ideas!

I wondered about the Moving Tan Line idea after seeing the demo for it, don't know if it would work for this situation. I may have to buy it to see!

I like the idea of the hands moving. I suppose you could draw the watch (without hands), switch the sharpie for a "dead tip" one, fake drawing the hands while somehow loading a movable set of cut out hands onto your wrist.

And of course, use a watchwinder noise maker for extra comedy impact!

-k-
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6185 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Gaeton Bloom has an effect like this. He draws a watch on his wrist and then throughout his show people ask for the time and he looks at his drawn watch and calls out the time... and it is always the correct time.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
38 Posts

Profile of kent
Thanks Greg,

Do you know the name of the Gaeton Bloom effect - and is it in print anywhere?

-kent-
kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
38 Posts

Profile of kent
Must remember to google first!

The routine is called "Invisible Watch", and is available from Midwest Magic, among other places (and is now on my wish list!)

k
Attan
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Attan
Draw the watch set at a certain time (the one that it will be changed into) then take a skin coloured piece of paper (or something) with the hands set on a different time and stick it on your arm. Then you can just wipe the paper off changeing the time in a very smooth way. It's just a matter of creating a realistic fake skin, but since it's all drawn on (you could make a detailed clock) it shouldn't be that hard.

Just got the idea. Got to try this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Watch drawn on wrist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL