The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Johnny Ace Palmer-A Real Pro (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
Thanks Bill!
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Wow.....my high school graduation party stunk in comparison.

I guess this event was accomplished by a fundraiser, or that is a very affluent school district Smile
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 23:47, scottjenkins wrote:
Is there a reason that people break chick's legs -- I mean besides pure accident? What would be the purpose? I can't think of any reason why any person would ever want to do that.

In the video, you'll notice one of the chicks legs/feet gets stuck between the cup, the table and the mat. I am guessing this is how legs get broken. I am sure Johnny Palmer uses utmost care and I am sure the chick was fine, but you can see from the video anyone can make a mistake.

I like the use of chicks and bunnies for final loads...if you decide to go that route just be sure to put on your kid gloves. Smile

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Johnny has been performing this routine for at least 38 years now so what your seeing shine through is his vast experience.
He is not so expensive that they couldn't have been able to afford him. I am sure it is well worth having that type of show to keep the kids safe, in one place and enetertained and out of trouble.
I have several friends that do these shows during prom time and the going rate is usually about $250 per hour and they do a 2-3 hour show. I did one for my local high school about 10yrs ago....they are a blast but not for the new performer for sure. Lot's of grabbing of props and hecklers at those types of shows.
Mobius
jholland
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of jholland
The video link is to a slightly shorter performance of Johnny's performance at the Magic Castle a few months back. Both the chicks and the doves were the highlight of the performance and Johnny was, in my opinion, one of the best so far this year in the close up room. He is also a class act and a really nice person to meet.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Yes, it is nice to see someone who looks like a magician, dresses like a magician, acts like a magician, has the requisite skills of a magician, and doesn't seem to have any interest in showing off his abdominal muscles.

Seeing Johnny made me feel better about my life-long avocation after some of the magic scene embarrassments of recent years.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 14:55, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
He does his act for a high school. Watch (and listen) all the way through. He's got a smart*** kid making comments through the cups and balls, but Johnny keeps his cool and smokes them with the final loads.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u6wzb7amY78

What is wrong with this kids comments?
Trust me.... Johnny performed for way worse people than this. There is no doubt of the talent Johnny has.

JV.
bigtyme
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of bigtyme
Johnny Ace Palmer is single-handedly the nicest person in magic. He's so nice you find yourself choosing words that are unoffensive in your head before you speak. I've had the good fortune of getting to hang with him for a week a number of years back at a magician youth camp. His skill as a magician is only surpassed by his generosity as a person. His cups and chicks are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Johnny. He's one of those magicians where everything looks better in his hands (Troy Hooser is another). If you ever get the privilege to meet him you'll see I didn't exaggerate. As Mike Caveney spoke of Guy Hollingworth, Johnny is the same. Magic needs Johnny far more than Johnny needs magic.
Jethro Magic
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jethro Magic
Johnny is a great guy!
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
I have his trinity DVD, and in my opinion his dvd seemed to lack something. This clip showed what it was -- an audience to really showcase his charm and sincerity. Fantastic performance!
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 16:59, Blondin wrote:
A great performer but I for one am not comfortable with the use of live animals as final loads. Does it really add to the effect?

Earlier in his career, Johnny used tennis balls instead of chicks as his final load. If he loaded the chicks the way he loaded those tennis balls the chicks would have had an terrible headache! Fortunately, Johnny came up with a new way to make his final load which gave him the opportunity to load those chicks and, yes, it really does add to the effect.
CamisBoss
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of CamisBoss
I can't say enough nice things about Johnny. I had the privilege of meeting him in a magic shop where I worked last summer, and he was great! He is incredibly polite and friendly, he even let me take a picture with him! (I know, it's lame) But after meeting him, my respect for him has increased ten-fold.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
That's a bummer about Gali-Gali. I always liked his routine, but I can't tolerate that type of animal cruelty.

Man Bill, I appreciate your knowledge but sometimes you bum me out Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
I just saw Johnny in the close-up room at the Magic Castle. It was my first time seeing him live and all I have to say is WOW. He is a very funny guy and his magic is fantastic.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
He's definately a class act, no doubt about that
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Critter: Don't let the truth about Gali-Gali bum you out. He was an immoral artist. There are a lot of people like that. He was basically a street worker who clawed his way to the top during a risky economic period. Sometime you should read John Scarne's account of his contest with Gali-Gali.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Johnny Ace Palmer-A Real Pro (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL