The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My First Performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
Hey guys. This is a rather crappy video of my first professional performance. I volunteered my service for a carnival event being held at my school. I had an audience of somewhere around 30-40 people and I was nervous beyond my wits. It's in two parts and is half as long as an average show needs to be, it's not well scripted at all, but I'm working on it. I'm just looking for people's opinions on how the performance looks, how the effects look (the card sword thing kinda got screwed up, and I flashed one part of my rope routine but as far as I could tell it did nothing to inform my audience), and what I can do to make it better (what effects might string things together, ideas for scripting, etc.) Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQ4wveNeqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfBbruuMMmQ
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Not a bad first outing, you have a lot of potential. Only suggestion I'd make is don't walk behind the table so much, let your assistant bring things out to you, or take it from the front (if possible).
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
For a first time, you did really well. People were entertained and that is truly the bottom line.

I would work on getting a table to work with as opposed to setting up on a table wherever you perform. Especially since your character seems refined.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Only watched the first video but for a first outing that was good!

The technique is there, the character is fine

You're already on to thinking how to make "the show" flow better, perhaps think about it is a stage (play) performance. Where do you want to be when - like sword stage left with participants line stage front left. Then think of the reasons why for each staging and what works best for audience participation and reaction.

Maybe work in a little history of the character. I see him there, I know why he is there but where did he come from?

Also it has been mention about a table, how are you going to place and work around your props? Make them a interesting, inviting and attractive part of your stage setting

The only possible technical issue I saw was the end to the zombie routine, after all the levitations and moves you simply placed the zombie back on it's base.

Again you're doing well

Best of luck to you
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
P.s. The nervousness will pass with gaining more confidence from performing more shows. You opened with solid, confidence gaining illusions. Good start

As time goes by your may incorporate different illusions in your act. I like the idea of a different than usual card sword
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
Hmmm....I've been thinking about the table, but I honestly don't know where to get one that would be portable, magician friendly, and suitable to my show.

As for the zombie I'm working on some moves from the Jeb Sherill DVD and will incorporate them in soon for a more...full performance.

As for the character, the story I'm workign on is:

I start with an appearing cane that also vanishes (the cane as a complement to that "old time look"), then I'm looking for a good silk effect to do with the remaining silks, as a result of the disappeared cane. Then I move into a sword through card effect, demonstrating the skill as a swordsman I have picked up in my many dangerous adventures across the globe. Having discussed my general self and shown a bit of my credentials as a true swashbuckling individual, I show the first of the items I've picked up in my journeys: 3 different sized pieces of magical rope that become one length, and then one long rope (prof. nightmare into quad-rope-lets into Tabary's rope routine). I then show them a set of magical cards which were designed to be lethally sharp by dangerous poker players who would use them to "get out of a losing hand;" so delicate are these cards that they can be, if gently done, inserted into a balloon without popping it.

And that's where I'm at so far.....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Very well done! Beautiful job at holding the accent. As someone who works in accent, I know how difficult it can be!

I have very few suggestions, and I think based on our conversation further down the board, you are already exploring those ideas...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I enjoyed watching those, MrMajestic. You're an interesting performer.
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Good job for your first time.
Great advice from the above Café members.
Thanks for sharing.
Good luck.
~John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My First Performance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL