The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Product Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Ok guys...so I've broken my own rule on this one as you'll soon see.

About a week ago, I got the Hot Money Clip by Jim Pace Magic.

Effect: Someone asks for your biz card and you remove your money clip/biz card case (all in one) and remove your card. As you do, it bursts into flames! The card burns for approx. 5 seconds and then the fire vanishes leaving an undamaged/unburned biz card that you can hand out to your spectator.

I've said MANY MANY TIMES on this forum...DO NOT DO FIRE TRICKS IN RESTAURANTS!!!!! It's just not worth it! Don't risk yours or any else safety!

HOWEVER...

I been using it and lemme tell ya...it already paid for itself. In 7 days, I have passed out over 100 cards ALL from the Hot Clip. I got phone calls from people almost the next day wanting to book me. They all said the magic was great that I did, but the biz card trick where it burst into flames sealed the deal!

I got this from my local magic shop for $30.00 I believe.

The PROs of this prop:

1. It's small.
2. The gimick is darn near invisible
3. Unlike other fire wallets, you don't have to worry about it running dry as it's a DIFFERENT gimmick.
4. B/c its a money clip, you can free up wallet space for other magic. My Hundy 500, $2 Bill Tear, and $100 Bill switch are now all carried in this money clip.
5. It's made of high quality leather (at least mine was).
6. Unlike every other fire wallet I've ever seen...the fire is under your COMPLETE CONTROL and is as safe as a fire product can be (an oxymoron I know). No flash paper/cotten to deal with and your not soaking lighter fluid into the wallet to get something to ignite. A clever idea.

The Cons:

1. It can only hold about 10 biz cards at a time so you need to keep refilling. Not that big a deal but you do need to prepare your cards in advance before putting them into the case.

I'm thinking about getting 2 or 3 more just so I won't run out of cards during a shift.

Work in a NO SMOKING restaurant or trying to deal with a NO SMOKING ordinance in whatever city you're in. NO problem...this device DOES NOT PRODUCE ANY SMOKE! No worries!

I think this is one prop that I'll ALWAYS use for the rest of my days!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
fuzzysponges
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of fuzzysponges
This is a great trick until one day some woman sprays aqua net hair spray all over you and herself while you're in the middle of this little gem and both you and her head explode in a ball of flame.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Christopher, if it takes something like this to "seal the deal" look real hard at what it is you are doing. Because it should be you and your personality that "seals the deal" not ANY magic trick or anything else.

As for fire in a restaurant, I am not even going to participate in the discussion. Do it or don't do it as anyone sees is right. I do what is right for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

DANNY!!!!! YER BACK!!! ROCK ON!!! The Café' is back on track!

I agree with ya...this is just what they told me.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I have to disagree with you on the fire, Danny.

I've been fire-eating for 30 years without incident.

Fire is a known. It has known properties and capabilities. Some things burn - some things don't.

You must know what you are doing, know your surroundings -- and do it properly every time. (I've fortunately never had anyone attack me with hairspray during a performance)

Some people can't be left with a candle, while others are trusted with blowtorches.

Destiny
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Yeah...but you don't' fire eat in a restaurant...we've all had this discussion on there before about whether or not to do fire in a restaurant. I've always said DON'T!!!! I've never liked it...

BUT...

I see where Danny is comin' from...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Destiny, you live in a society FAR less prone to the law suit LOL! Lucky you.

I personally don't like the use of fire, and do not encourage it in a restaurant. BUT some do and it works for them. Great for them, I would never say don't do it. I know it is not right for me.

I know lawyers scare the crap out of me LOL!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
nicd
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
164 Posts

Profile of nicd
I've got one question about this product, are the business cards affected in any way when they come out of this prop and burn? I mean, do they smell, are wet, smudgy or anything like that or are they basically in "new" condition?
Because I've been looking at the Hot Leads prop by Jim Pace (which I assume works on the same concept, right?) for a while now but wasn't sure if it didn't mess up the cards. And I wouldn't want to give out a dirty card Smile

thanks & bye
Nic
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Nick,

When the cards come out they are dry and prestine...at least for me anyhow. I guess it also depends on how your cards are made. If you have foil cards they may react differently and a glossy stock may react differently as well. For me, the cards look *** near perfect as if I just pulled them out of the box!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Hi Christopher,

Thank you for the review!
I hope that you do not mind but I placed your review onto my site http://www.fireffects.com with a link to your web site.

Christopher has seen the light!

Has anyone had a Spanish coffee made at their table?
how about a Flaming spinach salad?

there is less to worry about using my products.

Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Here are a couple nice flaming reciepes that are sometimes made and served at your table ...
Omelettes Fourrées Flambées

"Cooked very thin and with the upper side left frothy (rather than turn the omelet, cover it for a few seconds with a very hot lid or run it under a broiler, provided the pot's handles are heat proof), and rolled up, it does show promise. Dust it with a little powdered sugar, bring it to table, douse it with a couple of teaspoons of cognac, rum, or Grand Marnier, and light it. With a little more planning, however, you can do something more interesting: Before you roll up the omelet, spread the top with fruit jam; apricot works best here, and you should warm it gently over a double boiler before you spread it. Arrange the omelet on the dish, dust it with powdered sugar, sprinkle with the liqueur of choice, and light it at the table."

Banana Flambé Recipe
Ingredients
2 bananas
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup white rum
1 lime, squeezed

Instructions
Peel and halve the bananas lengthwise. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Brown the bananas 5 minutes on each side. Add the sugar and pour in the rum. Cook for 2 minutes. Flambé. Sprinkle with lime juice and serve at once.

Yield: 4 servings
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Jim,

No worries. You can post my review!

I agree tho...I think the "flaming" foods that the restaurants make have more FIRE then the wallet. This would be safer...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not to nit pick, but those are things everyone knows are going on.

During the law suit, your magic does NOT fall into that catagory.

As I said I am NOT SAYING DON'T USE IT, far from it, but I will point out when you are dead wrong in reasoning.

Again, my position is do it if it is right for you. Please don't turn this into a debate as it is useless.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 13:23, Jim Pace wrote:
Here are a couple nice flaming reciepes that are sometimes made and served at your table ...

"Cooked very thin and with the upper side left frothy (rather than turn the omelet, cover it for a few seconds with a very hot lid or run it under a broiler, provided the pot's handles are heat proof), and rolled up, it does show promise. Dust it with a little powdered sugar, bring it to table, douse it with a couple of teaspoons of cognac, rum, or Grand Marnier, and light it. With a little more planning, however, you can do something more interesting: Before you roll up the omelet, spread the top with fruit jam; apricot works best here, and you should warm it gently over a double boiler before you spread it. Arrange the omelet on the dish, dust it with powdered sugar, sprinkle with the liqueur of choice, and light it at the table."

Banana Flambé Recipe
Ingredients
2 bananas
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup white rum
1 lime, squeezed

Instructions
Peel and halve the bananas lengthwise. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Brown the bananas 5 minutes on each side. Add the sugar and pour in the rum. Cook for 2 minutes. Flambé. Sprinkle with lime juice and serve at once.

Jim:

Thanks for that.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Yummy...
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 13:23, Jim Pace wrote:

Banana Flambé Recipe
Ingredients
2 bananas
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup white rum
1 lime, squeezed

Instructions

Sounds good. So, what time shall we come over?

;)
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
Wow... so not only a talented magician and an all around nice guy. But he cooks as well. So what's left for us to do? lol
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I just got the Hot Money Clip. Although it is well made and works like a charm, I don't think I'll be able to use it very much. My feeling is that the clicking sound it makes to ignite the cards takes away a good deal of the mystery. I know Jim also offers a quieter version, but it requires flash paper or cotten, which, presumably, means you'd need to load it each time you wanted to produce a flaming card.

I'm wondering if there's a silent electronic ignition lighter that I could replace the noisey one with. It would have to be a product that has a heat element that is activated silently that the butane passes through to ignite. Since Jim, who produces several fire effect props, doesn't use such a lighter for the Hot Money Clip, I would assume that no such thing exists, but then again, it's never good to assume anything. Anybody know?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Rand,

NOBODY (and I do mean NOBODY) has ever heard the "click" as I'm usually talking and the sound of my voice and the ambient noise in wherever I'm at WILL drown it out. It's something that only us magi are sensative over...TRUST ME...nobody hears it!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Sounds like something I might try. But my cards are glossy on one side. I wondering how they will be effected. I would think a card bursting into flames once in a while would be best. Making it a special event. So I would hand out most of my cards the normal way but then at the proper time POW flames. I have had this done to me by another magician and the effect is very good and the flames go out quickly. There is a smell to the card but it is dry and clean.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Product Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL