The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » February Linking Ring arrived » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I was at Magi-Fest Saturday in Columbus, Ohio, and picked up the February copy of The Linking Ring, thanks to International President Phil Willmarth who brought a box to giveaway.

I thought I would be cute and talk about how early I got it and then tip all that it was because of Phil bringing them to the magic convention. However, the copy was in my mailbox when I got home later Saturday night.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Now you're just rubbing things in, you lucky..magician!

Mark. Smile
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Mark,

I could not believe I received my "official" copy so soon. This is the earliest I have ever received it.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Well, I wish I could receive my LR on time. If the delivery time does not soon get up to par I am going to discontinue my membership with the IBM. I pay for a magazine that should always arrive on time. All of my other magazines arrive on time or early and there is NO REASON that the LR cannot arrive on time.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Mine arrived today...I'm surprised as The local Post Office is horrible normally.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I received mine last week...right on time as usual. Smile
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
FYI, I received my copy of TLR today 2/12/08 LATE AGAIN, this is becoming NORMAl. When my dues are ready for re-newal I will think long and hard at
re-newing unless some changes are made from SPS as our Editor.

Rodney

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
With respect, Rodney, it HAS to be a mail or distribution issue in your areas. My Ring and I had our issues on Groundhog Day like clockwork.

I like the changes Sammy has instituted in the LR and know for a fact that the issue was printed and ready to ship well before Feb. 1st. The shipping company is an independent contractor commissioned by the printing plant...not the IBM. They break the shipment into individual pallets for different parts of the country and overseas.

From there they travel space available to the various USPS distribution centers. Priority shipping with guaranteed delivery dates, such as People or Time warrant, increases the cost dramatically. People and Time can manage this with the volume discounts they receive. TLR doesn't come close to that volume.

Sammy is doing his best to keep the cost of the magazine under budget. This keeps our membership costs reasonable. With the annual increases in postage and shipping costs, this is becoming harder and harder. I have no doubt that if everyone wanted to increase their annual dues $10-$20, Sammy could budget guaranteed delivery dates within CONUS.

I fully understand your frustration, but lets place the blame where it belongs and give credit where its due. I'm just grateful for a quality magazine filled cover to cover with information that is useful, instructive and entertaining...whenever it arrives.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
As others have said before, if The Linking Ring arrives during the month that's printed on the cover, it's on time. It is a great magazine for a very low price.

Yours,

Paul
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Skip, with all DUE Respect. TLR is a GREAT Magazine but I must ask you WHY do the other magazines come on time or even early? My MUM is always on schedule as well as Magic, Genii, etc. I know the Post Office is slow. But I still feel this problem is the Editors concern. The LR has a distribution similar to both Genii and Magic and their Magazines always arrive prior to the issue month. My question is why can TLR not arrive on time? Do we need to change our distributor, mailing, etc. Sammy should be addressing this issue and not you. I respect your opinion but Sammy is the only one who can answer these questions. I have tried to email, phone, fax, and I received NO Replys.

Rodney

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Fair questions, Rodney. Let's see what shakes loose.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Well...just to add my two cents. I'm not that far from Raleigh and am STILL waiting, as usual, for my LR to arrive.

Before Sammy took over, when Phil was the editor, it was ALWAYS on time. Since Phil left and Sammy started running things, it's almost ALWAYS really late in getting here. Very similar to The Funny Pages magazine that he took over as well, and that one only has about 64 pages and comes out every OTHER month.

Hmmm...

Mark.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm glad to see one of my local club members, Ron Bell, has his own parade in this issue.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
This much we know...Sammy is not printing part of the Linking Ring to hand out to the nice people first. It all gets turned in at the same time, so it has to do with when the printing plant is releasing it or when the USPS is releasing it. I always get mine at the first of the month, so they are either releasing the LR in waves, or the postal service is just messed up (except in my area where they do an exceptional job...lol)
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Greetings,

I received my copy today Feb. 15 and as my son was browsing the pages he noticed that a lot of pages were missing and the issue that arrived today is a bit thinner that usual... Missing pages are from page 19 to 66, they were not torn off but they are missing...

Does anyone encountered the same problem or this is the only defective one...

The Chubster
Manila, Philippines
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Doggone, Sal...PM your address to me. Phil gave me a couple of extra copies of the February issue for the local MYI group. I'll personally air mail a complete copy to you today. Please go to http://www.magician.org and drop an email to HQ mentioning the problem.

Skip

Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
I noticed the February issue had an article written by a young friend of mine, Sterling Dietz.

I've been telling you all for more than a year now that Sterling Dietz is an up and coming star, and someone you should keep an eye on.

All the young magicians here should be inspired by his story. All the older magicians should keep your eye on him.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Samuel Patrick Smith
View Profile
New user
Eustis, Florida
9 Posts

Profile of Samuel Patrick Smith
Hello, everyone!

The Linking Ring is mailed in time to arrive the first week of the month for the majority of I.B.M. members. This is the same schedule we have adhered to for years. Our closing date is purposely later than Magic’s, for example, which gives us the advantage of including news in the December issue that did not appear in Magic and MUM until their January and February issues. So if someone wonders why Magic arrives before The Linking Ring, the answer is simple: it’s supposed to. The Linking Ring is planned and printed on a different schedule, with the goal of arriving the first week of the month.

Unfortunately, the USPS offers no guarantees for magazine delivery, and some mail districts are less efficient than others. One distribution center within 90 miles of the printer (located in Michigan) has a very poor delivery record.

For those in mail districts with slower delivery, members of the I.B.M. can access the current issue on the first of every month by visiting http://www.magician.org.

In the rare case that an issue of The Linking Ring is lost in the mail, I.B.M. members should contact the headquarters office in St. Louis (address and phone number on page four of every issue) for a replacement copy.

I.B.M. members are always welcome to email ideas, comments, questions, suggestions, and offers of help to the Executive Editor at linkingring@mac.com.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Here we are on Feb. 18 (I know, the mail did not run today), I have yet to receive my copy of TLR.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
It is my place to jump in and say I appreciate it that Steve Brooks has given us a place to discuss those things that relate to the I.B.M. (International Brotherhood of Magicians) and I appreciate your participation.

But let me encourage you....when you have a real problem and you want more than just a place to express your concerns then I suggest you contact the I.B.M. headquarters or the person in to whom the problems concerns. Their contact information is in every issue of the Linking Ring and on our Website.

Not all the past presidents, the executive committee, or the St. Louis office reads these post. Therefore please address your real concerns to the leaders in the I.B.M.

I want to thank Sammy for jumping in here and addressing this issue.

Unless you get involved with the workings within the I.B.M. then you will have no idea of the amount of work and effort it takes to run this great organization. Remember 98% of those working within the I.B.M. are volunteers. We are a "not-for-profit" organization here to serve you the best we can.

We need your help. We need your impute. We need for you express yourself. I just to remind you when you have a real problem to the best source your know to get it taken care of.

Oh if you have forgotten if you are in a hurry to read the Linking Ring....as Sammy said, it is posted at the first of the month in the I.B.M.'s "member's area" in our new Portal Website. This is one of the many idea's I pushed through while I was serving on the executive committee during my three year term.

On with our discussion,

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » February Linking Ring arrived » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL