The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Fresh Mint: sending a bill to the 70's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Since obtaining this effect I have been performing it a lot, and getting great reactions. I like the time capsule/time travel plot (I say that I buried the "time capsule" in the 1970', inspired by an episode of Mr. Wizard), but feel like the presentation could be stronger if the props really bore the presentation out.

I found a web site that carries Sixties/Seventies memoribilia such as stickers (Jetsons, smiley face, Star Trek, Three's Company, Wacky Pack) and cards (Welcome Back Kotter). They even have a "Disco Fever" patch and Pac Man buttons.

My goal is to put the Altoids box inside a baggie that has a few of these items inside it (also adds to the "nest of boxes" aspect), and to cover the Altoids box with the stickers, so that everything has the appearence of being Seventies Era. Currently I have the Tic Tac box wrapped in a tissue that the spectator unwraps, but I am thinking of having it wrapped with an old Johnny Carson TV guide cover from the Seventies.

I think that this work will make the Time Capsule presentation much more valid, and make the props more interesting to the spectators. Those who missed the Seventies could find the "convincers" to be historically interesting, and those who were there in the Seventies may get the nostalgia hit.

I found the Seventies memoribilia junk here:

http://www.pophouse.com/categories.php?cat=26

The company also has items from Eighties as well.

It may also help to make the props not look so brand spanking new by scuffing them up and "aging" them.

Prop historical background: Altoids have actually been around since the 1780's! If you wanted to simply make your box look older, you could either age it yourself or find a collectible tin (doesn't have to be Altoids) from the past. There are plenty to choose from on eBay.

I actually had one spectator say "They didn't have Tic Tac's in the Seventies!", but I did some research and I found that Tic Tac mints were introduced in 1969. Tip: use regular flavored Tic Tacs and not modern flavors/designs. I feel that he current Tic Tac box front label extends further down than their old design, so I used a razor to trim it back (retaining the main design), this also exposed more of the folded bill inside.

For those unfamiliar with Cameron Francis'Fresh Mint, it is a very clever and easily re-settable variant of the Hennig "object to impossible place" effect popularized by Kaps (does not use the Hennig method). Essentially, a signed bill or playing card is found inside a Tic Tac box that is inside an Altoids box that is in play before the bill/card is signed. See accolades by Café members and positive reviews in Genii/Magic magazines here :

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

Douglas M.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
What they did have in the 70's that would work appropriately is an old Sucrets tin.
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Love the idea Douglas, Fresh Mint is a great trick but the "Time Capsule" presentation is going to make this a feature thing. Nice work!

Perhaps now is the time to put together a time capsule to use 20 years from now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Fresh Mint: sending a bill to the 70's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL