The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big Name = Crappy Magic Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 06:36, irossall wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 05:57, foreva.infiniti wrote:
I could never get into masgic sets. Just give me a deck of cards or a few coins.

That's great for an adult but most kids want a Magic Kit with cool stuff. At least I did.
Iven Smile

Haha you're completely right I didn't even think about it in that context
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 17:04, obsidian52 wrote:
Many years ago in a land far far away I used to demo the mtshall bro dbro deen magic dets in macys during the christmas season....an if anyone ia an old time baby boomer like myself from nyc does anyone remember a live magic shoew put on 3 or 4 times a night on bradway beteen 43rd an 44th street down a flight of stairs for just a few bucks admission.. iwas one of the performers...does anyone even vaguely remember that or is it all a figment of my own imagination

Macys is on 34th St. (You remember the movie "Miracle on 34th Street?") I do remember there being a demonstrator in the lower level of the huge Toys R Us in Times Square but you didn't have to pay anything to watch. I watched him for a bit and during a slow time, I was playing with a deck I'd brought with me and he said; "Hey! Are you my relief?"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I have the Lance Burton plastic set with the instructional VHS. It's fun to have in the collection. I've never actually watched the VHS so I don't even know if it still works.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-07-28 23:09, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 17:04, obsidian52 wrote:
Many years ago in a land far far away I used to demo the mtshall bro dbro deen magic dets in macys during the christmas season....an if anyone ia an old time baby boomer like myself from nyc does anyone remember a live magic shoew put on 3 or 4 times a night on bradway beteen 43rd an 44th street down a flight of stairs for just a few bucks admission.. iwas one of the performers...does anyone even vaguely remember that or is it all a figment of my own imagination

Out of curiosity, did LobowolfXXX lend you his iPhone or iPad?

Good laugh just before bed. Thanks.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Joe Piseski
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
18 Posts

Profile of Joe Piseski
Scored a brand new Melissa and Doug Deluxe Magic Set today at a garage sale for the princely sum of $2.00.

Got it home, and I've been playing with it like an 8 year old. Great set of all wooden props. A couple of neat items that I might actually put in my show -- bargain!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2008, Payne wrote:
What do you expect for $3.38?

I think this set was put out by Marshall Brodeen and was pretty much identical to the Siegfried and Roy magic set.

Still doesn't hold a candle to the old Mysto Magic Sets with their metal and wood props.

Is it one of these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lance+Bu......agic+kit
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Very funny thread here. Love it. Nowadays, Dollar Tree is selling "magic kits". They actually sell a TT with a 'silk' that is one inch square! Naturally, I bought it, hahaha. Now the challenge!! I heard that TT's of the past were not so realistic; and believe me the dollar store variety is not convincing either. But can you get away with it??? Especially if it's designed for a child's hand?? Lynn
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2015, lynnef wrote:
Very funny thread here. Love it. Nowadays, Dollar Tree is selling "magic kits". They actually sell a TT with a 'silk' that is one inch square! Naturally, I bought it, hahaha. Now the challenge!! I heard that TT's of the past were not so realistic; and believe me the dollar store variety is not convincing either. But can you get away with it??? Especially if it's designed for a child's hand?? Lynn

Back when TT's were made out of metal, one magician used to challenge himself by using a TT with all the paint sanded off. So, yes, you could probably get away with it.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I think I'm adding the Doug and Melissa set to my son's Christmas wish list. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2009, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
There was a wooden illusion box on the platform - blades went in at odd angles after the assistant got in and the top hinged down. Was kind of across from Tannen's and a block or so downtown from the Burger King.

I did not remember that until you mentioned it.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Could a small time name sell a high quality magic set?

Small Name =Great Magic Set
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Big Name = Crappy Magic Set (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL