The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Wrath by Daniel Madison (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Wrath

The Official Spam:
Quote:
A card is freely selected and signed by the spectator. The cards are shuffle and returned to the box. The spectator inspects the box before holding it tightly between their hands. The performer holds his hand above the deck causing the deck to heat up. The performer pulls his hand away in pain and shows his palm covered in burn marks. The spectator loosens their grip on the warming deck to reveal a hole burnt through the box, and burnt through a number of cards. The un-burnt card seen through the burnt hole is the spectators signed card

Notes about Wrath
Wrath is completely examinable and can be inspected before and after the event. The spectator can keep the deck after the effect. The box is cleanly shown to be unmarked or burnt in any way up until the moment of the revelation. The revelation happens completely in the spectators’ hands with very minimal sleights. Can be applied to any deck of playing cards within minutes .Instant reset… instant repeat, minimal sleight of hand.

Introduction:
I recently wrote a review on Daniel Madison's Bound, which can be seen here: http://penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=141996. This was my next purchase from Daniel Madison, and it won't be my last.

The Basic Effect:
A spectator is allowed to select and sign a card. The card is replaced back into the deck, and the deck is returned to the box. You show the box all around, and have the spectators hold it. They feel, IN THEIR HANDS, the box heat up. When the lift their hand, there is a hole through the box and some cards. Where the hole stops, is their card. See a quick demo on Daniel's site: http://www.Devilsadvocateproductions.com.

Claims:
Once again, in this effect, all of the claims ARE NOT TRUE. I wasn't surprised, but it's still a great trick.

I quote, "The spectator inspects the box before holding it tightly between their hands." That is not true. You SHOW the spectator the box, but they can't physically touch it until you put it in their hands.

I again quote, "Wrath is completely examinable and can be inspected before and after the event." Again, the spectator can't physically touch the box until you put it in their hands.

Finally I quote, "Can be applied to any deck of playing cards within minutes." It took me more than "minutes" to make this up. About a half an hour. I said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm slow. This can be applied to ANY deck.

The E-Book:
The E-Book is very well produced. It has 12 pages and 23 black and white pictures. I have yet to find any grammar or spelling mistakes.

The Gimmick:
The gimmick is easy to make and took me about 5 minutes. It's pretty clever, but I have seen it before. It has never been used in an effect like this, though. The gimmick, in my opinion, is easier to make than the Bound gimmick. The gimmcik is separate from the deck.

The Deck:
The deck took me about 25 minutes to make. I cut cards, hole punched cards, burnt cards, and licked cards. Just kidding, I didn't lick the cards. I warn you, you NEED FIRE, and if you're a kid, use a parent. There is a warning in the E-Book. My deck is sitting under something heavy right now, and it will be for the rest of the night.

Originality:
I am pretty sure this is original, and have never seen an effect like this before. When I first saw this, though, I immediatly thought of Jay Sankey's In a Flash, which was mentioned in the E-Book. Jay's effect is here: http://penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=8879. I find this better as it happens in a spectator's hand.

Wrath:
This is the main version tought in the E-Book. It's not too hard, but does require practice. The revelation happens in the spectator's hand. They FEEL THE DECK HEAT UP. I really like this version, and this is the one I'll use. I feel, in this case, visual is not better.

Wrath Variation 1:
This happens in your hands and is pretty visual. You show the box. Rub the box, and reveal the burnt in hole. Pretty simple. I do not like this, as I would rather do it in the spectator's hand.

Wrath Variation 2:
This LOOKS the exact same as Wrath Variation 1, but uses a different method. I am not comfortable using this method. It's very clean. I think Wrath Variation 1 looks better.

Blaze01:
Blaze is a bonus effect in this E-Book. There are many versions of Blaze in his lecture notes Two which is for purchasing here: http://www.danielmadison.co.uk/Two.htm. I never liked Blaze and won't use it. Basically, a spectator selects a card and inspects it. You place the card in their hands and wave. There is then a hole burnt in their card. It's not my type of effect.

Palming:
I WARN YOU, THERE IS PALMING IN THIS EFFECT. There are two types of palms used. The one I am not comfortable with is used only in Wrath Variation 2. The other palm I am fine with because of the heavy mis-direction. The palming can easily be get around. There is palming in Blaze, as well.

Teaching:
The teaching in this effect is very good. I understood in brilliantly. There are not too hard of moves. Which 12 pages and 23 pictures, you should be able to understand it.

Overall:
This is not my first, and won't be my last, purchase from Daniel Madison. I really like the effect and can't wait to try this effect tomorrow. I never will give a 10/10, unless it is real magic.

I give Wrath a 9.5/10

Jeff

P.S. If you have any comments or questions please post them so you can make an informed decision about what you purchase.
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
WARNING THERE IS PALMING IN THIS EFFECT.
All PENGUIN MAGIC USERS PLEASE SKIP.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Hey, don't be rude. I am a Penguin user and am fine with the palming. I've been doing magic for many, many years, and it's offensive of you to insult all of us.

Jeff
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Jeff-
I just thought the warning about palming only shows the age audience to which you were targeting your review. Smile

Am I right or wrong?

I shop at Penguin too. You can't pass up the promo's they have. But the forums scare me....
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I am sorry. You are right. I was aiming this at the younger generation, and most of them can't palm. Penguin's a prime example. There are adults at the Penguin Forums, though. I got out of hand.

You can't beat the Pengin promos, I've been deciding whether I would get Reparation, and now it's free!

Jeff
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Wrath-Jay Sankey's In a Flash
Bound-Jay Sankey's effect from Sankey Unleashed
Outlaw-Jay Sankey's Blackpool

I sense a pattern here. None of Jay's effects are even mentioned in the pdf's.
do magic

www.8bom.net
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
In A Flash by Sankey is mentioned in the Wrath PDF.
Bound in completely different from the trick in Sankey's book. Do you have the book?
If I'm not mistaken, Jay's effect uses gimmicked cards, as Outlaw does not.

Jeff
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I do have the 3 pdf's I mentioned, as well as the Sankey effects I quoted from. In MY opinion, I do not believe that the effects are very different. Bound is a different concept, yes. However, I feel like Daniel may have been influenced by Jay based on the similarity in ideas.

If the pdf's are worth the money to those who buy, great. I just want everyone to be aware of the similarities before they purchase them.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Just went onto Daniel's site to buy this and it seems that he's taken it off. I'll have to e-mail him. Hopefully I can still get this.
Rory
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
It's true, he took Bound, Wrath, and Outlaw off of his site. Donny, I think he might of red your post.

Jeff
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Well, just e-mailed him. Hopefully he responds to it. I was going to purchase it last night but was getting tired so I thought why not tomorrow! Now it's seems that I am too late.
Rory
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 19:46, tian_ci wrote:
WARNING THERE IS PALMING IN THIS EFFECT.
All PENGUIN MAGIC USERS PLEASE SKIP.

BTW, penguin does provide some of the best deals . . . especially when it comes to shiping out of the US
Cards never lie
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
165 Posts

Profile of big dan
Hmm, in the the Outlaw pdf Daniel accuses 2 other magicians of ripping off this effect, one apparently word for word. Yet he is the one that removes the effects from his website. I am sensing something fishy here.

Kudos to Daniel for removing the effects but he goes down in my opinion for trying to accuse Jay of ripping off his material!
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
165 Posts

Profile of big dan
Well I actually decided to double check and email Daniel about this before I start accusing him of anything else.

The 2 other magicians Daniel refers 2 are 2 lesser known magicians and do not include Jay Sankey. So apologies from me Daniel. He has done the right thing.

I wish you all the best with future projects,

big dan
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Wrath by Daniel Madison (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL