The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Winks Diary by Bill Thompson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I can tell you that I'm looking forward to both this and the new Mel Mellers DVD! I've been overall very pleased with all my purchases of Russ' products!

Robert Sixx
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Robert,

Thanks very much for your continued support, it's much appreciated. The DVDs are on their way to you and I hope that you enjoy them both!

Good luck and best wishes,
Russ
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
Well, I have this item now and I'm not sure what to say. Yes its simple, direct and no doubt will work. However, it's almost too simple. Anyone with a dozen or so briancells who gives this a minutes thought will realise how restricted the selection proceedure really is. In fact you can do this trick without even the mention of playing cards and just use numbers - however ironically it is the use of playing cards (either literally or mentally) that is necessary as a sort of disguise for the method.

Don't expect too much. It's feels like an Abra article wrapped up in a DVD.
rubadubdub
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of rubadubdub
Well lets wait and see
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
The method is more transparent than back-lit cling film. I certainly don't see how this trick warrants a DVD all to itself.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8977 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Well, the lady in the demo sure looks like she has more than 12 braincells. I'm sure this effect has been tested in the real world. Lets see what others have to say.
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
Let me put it this way, if they showed you the full routine in the demo rather than the selected snippets it would take you micro-seconds to work out. Theres nothing earth shattering here and as I say...the restriction of date choice is more obvious than the green on this web page.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8977 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote from Russ Stevens [It's that clean! The method is really simple, but I've yet to have anyone figure it out.]

Now, the second part of that quote is the important bit.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1938 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hmmm, I will wait to see when I receive this, it still sounds promising, just from the quotes etc
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
The DVD is misleading...in the demo you see the guy asking the woman to think of a playing card... this card has nothing to do with the conclusion of the trick ultimately - but is designed to make YOU think that it has. He does NOT reveal that chosen card (in case you were wondering)that card is merely chosen as a means to an end. In itself that is a pity - because the spectator may mentally set themself up initially to think that somehow you are going to reveal to them their mentally thought of card, but of course you don't. You reveal a different card, which is still good in context of the trick, but not as good.

The fact is that playing cards (or indeed any cards) are not in the least bit necessary for the operation of this trick. They are used as a thin visual disguise for an over-simplistic and restrictive method.

If a spectator back-tracks the proceedure they will immediately realise how severely limited their options were.

You may well get good reactions from this trick - (I still get good reactions from pulling the corner of hanky over with an invisible hair) - just don't expect them to remain baffled should they bother to actually think about the proceedure.

Spectators are thankfully lazy though (on the whole) and won't bother reconstructing what they have seen as long as they were entertained. However the entire secret of this trick hangs soley on that fact.

In my view this trick is a magazine article with delusions of grandeur.

I spent the last 15 (of the 21 minutes) of this DVD thinking "surely theres gonna be more to this trick than this?"

Don't use it as a closer... give em something else to think about immediately after performing this.

As for me...I wont be using it at all. I was so annoyed with this that I immediately came up with 2 more durable methods to compensate.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi kalsolar,

Sorry that you're less then impressed, although I assume having only got it yesterday at the earliest, you haven't actually worked it to any groups of lay people yet. I've always stated that the idea is simplicity in itself, but so far I've never had any group of lay people that I've shown it to work out the method. I'm happy to admit that when Bill Thompson showed me the effect, he fooled me completely, as it did Greg Frewin when he saw it. Martin Sanderson, has worked it for a while in his set and he loves it too, so at the end of the day I'm not so sure that you have a valid point about it being so obvious, although I accept that it's not for you.

Best,
Russ
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8977 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Exactly, why do people write a review of a product upon receipt, after having only read the instructions? Get out there and start using it before slating a product. My order is in by the way Russ.

Great website by the way, and no need to create an account for a change.
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
I'm not saying that its not workable - and simplicity is always welcome as it allows for more attention to presentation, just don't use this as a closer or for your mates down the pub - they'll have time to think... and thinking is the arch enemy of this method.
Adam Paul
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
I think the fact that both Jeff McBride and Greg Frewin like this means this is nowhere near as bad as Kalsolar's 4 negative posts make out. Also with both Peter Nardi and Martin Sanderson putting their name to this project tells its own story - this is a commercial product!

It's also interesting to note that the only posts Kalsolar has made in the past 30 days are in this very thread.

Maybe there is more to his posts than meet the eye.....

Everything I've bought from Russ has been great and I've never been disapointed. I'm gonna get this!

AP.
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
Wait for more reviews first..and if I'm in the minority then go for it. I await other peoples thoughts with great interest.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I think that it has been dismissed by some just because of ts simplicity
but I think this could be a mistake!
yes its easy to do, but I have faith in russ and martin and will try this at my next few gigs....
I'm sure I can use it as a 2nd or 3rd effect in a set without any worries
kalsolar
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of kalsolar
They do indeed put out some great stuff and are *** fine performers...but I'm baffled by this being put out as a DVD. It's worthy as a magazine article, but the very fact that I can't describe, even in simple terms, the effect as it happens on here because doing so would tip the method, says something. (In my opinion).
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Matt and kalsolar,

I watched both Bill Thompson and Peter Nardi perform this to magicians today in Blackpool and both got great reactions, with Bill selling quite a few after the demos. I guess that says a lot too! Of course some magicians will figure out the method, but that's not really who it's aimed at. Most working pros will see the practicality in the way that this can be done (with no cards), making it great for walk-around and that I think is one of it's strengths.

Best,
Russ
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Hi russ
hope you are having agood weekend, gutted I'm not there!
yes I agree, it not a"magican" fooler, but then who wants that anyway?
I'll be using it for sure
thanks for sending it out so promptly russ!
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Matt,

No problem. At the end of the day, I think some magicians forget who they're primarily performing to... lay people. Judging from sales at Blackpool though, it certainly fooled some of the magicians!

Best,
Russ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Winks Diary by Bill Thompson (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL