The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Any secrets for a good CP?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mightyred75
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of mightyred75
Is there any specifc exercises I can do to perfect a CP. I have been practicing for months and months but having problems. My little finger looks slighty warped and arthiritic (sorry spelling) and hand looks slightly cramped. I have tried various coins and find an english 50p to fit nicely in my hand. Any tips???????
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Get Reed McClintock DVD on Palming coins.
You'll get usefull material in there...

From me personally, use what you think you comfortable with first. then practice to make it perfect. When I practiced my CP, I used to CP 3-4 coins whenever I went. when I typed computer or did something. If I could do it with CP-ed coins, I did that.

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
http://www.coinvanish.com has about the best instruction on CP that I've found!
Mick
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Experiment with slightly different positions in your palm and grip the coin very lightly.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It's simple really...
Just walk around all day with a coin in CP. Try typing at the keyboard with a coin in CP. Do other things (not driving) with a coin in CP. Don't forget to use both hands. When the coin falls out, put it back.
Lastly, find a trick that uses the CP that you really like and practice that trick.
That's it.

One of the best tricks for learning a variety of sleights all in one trick is Doug Brewer's "famous 3 coin trick" from The Unexpected Visitor book (or DVD). I prefer the book and it's $10.

The trick is very magical but requires significant expertise in several moderately difficult sleights, the hardest of which is a retention vanish with a coin already in CP.

Learn that trick and when you've got it down you will be well on your way to mastering coin magic.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Check out David Stone's site. He has some work on improving your CP. As well as exercises that you can do to help.

Corey
abbi
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of abbi
I recently read an article on the "Magic Bunny" website, in one of their "Tophat" e-zines (issue 41). Some advice on proper location, as well as training your muscles. If you haven't seen it yet, maybe it's useful.

(By the way, my first post here on the coin forum, so also a "hi" to everyone. Really love coins (and cards, too), hope to improve with practice).
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
For me the CP can never be perfected,,, no matter what I do for others very few of them can really CP a coin..good luck
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
What are you talking about Vin?

Do you mean that it is obvious? Or that YOU can't perfect it?

Corey
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
For me because of my hands I look like I am squeezing oranges when I classic palm,
but that's just me.
however very few can really classic palm that looks natural
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I've been doing a great one for years, and I still do what Frank advised daily. I wasn't even planing to look in this forum, and I'm typing this with a coin in CP. Keep at it. Try to relax as much as possible. Always put the coin in with the same hand, so your fingers learn the right spot.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I've offered this little tidbit before as to the CP...

Take a half dollar on your right palm where you would ordinarily CP it. Take your left thumb with your other fingers behind the right hand and press the half dollar tightly, very tightly into the the CP position in the right hand, curling your right hand around the coin as tight as you can. Hold it in this position for about minute or so. This forced contraction causes the muscles in the right hand to conform to the classic palm position. Go ahead try it, you should have instant results with it. Of course, all the practice regimens mentioned above is what it really takes, but my little method here will jumpstart you and show you what the hold is supposed to do for you in the way of palming the coin. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Smile -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Keep a stack of four coins next to your bed. When you wake up in the morning put them in your palm and start your day. See how long you can hang on to them. Do this for a few days then go to palming a single coin. Remember also to hold the coin as lightly as possible.
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Just try to contact Mano,and you'll be palming coins like a pro.

WZ.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Practice David Roths Winged silver.. Over Over Over and over again.

You will get a great classic palm, as well as shuttle pass... Those are two
of the most used utilitie moves in coin magic...

With those two moves alone.. you can do some great stuff.

Best to you
Shawn.
Shawn.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I was taught that when you can hold it loosely and drop with little movement..along with being able to coin roll one or two coins while having one, two, three...6 coins in classic..you have a decent classic...

I compulsively practiced while watching movies, t.v. or other activities.

Try different size coins..after a while you will be able do use it with a dime (USA sized) to a old Morgan(USA old dollar coin)...
When you get the basics..months or years down the line..
For fun...from palm up..
c/p dime, penny, nickle, quarter, half and release them one at a time..then coin roll them and put them down (on table or spectators hand..)

Then reverse...coin roll and "throw away the" dime...coin roll and "throw away the" penny..coin roll and "throw away the" nickle...and end up where you started...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Your anatomy will determine and limit how well you can Classic Palm. The shape of your palm and how the thenar muscles are developed and innervated will determine and limit your ability. Practice helps but don't try to fight Mother Nature. Some people just won't be able to do it well.

Larry
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Reminds me of the margarine commercial in the 60's. Don't fool around with mother nature.(cue the lightning strike)

Many on this board have shared they get along fine with out the classic.

Many roads...same destination...

How to get to Carnegie Hall/Magic Castle....

write write write..
practice practice practice..
rehearse rehearse rehearse..
perform, perform, perform
write write write
Harris "oooooommmmmmmmm" Deutsch
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Mano forgot to mention that he broke his foot while practicing the Classic Palm.
He was practicing the CP with Hub Caps.......LOL
Just kidding of course.... practice ,practice and more practice is the key
if you have the right hands
vinny
Come check out my magic.

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Vinny...I was thinking about you when I wrote about great magicians.and great magic...Many on this board have shared they get along fine with out the classic.

At 5'5" tall I thought my hands were too small for magic...

Size doesn't matter here!

Harris "palms of aluminum foil" Deutsch
for the lighter touch in coin magic
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Any secrets for a good CP?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL