The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Any secrets for a good CP?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10882 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Harris as you know I never classic palm. I get along fine without it....
long live the CRIMP........\
I stand by what I said ,,,,
as a magicians point of view in all my years there are very few who can really CP that looks natural...\
I will say Bertini, Godhandz,Watkins, willimson and Mano are some of the rare ones that pull this off as well as the late Werner Steitz..
Werner my friend you are always in my heart
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Hey Vinny,

I deleted my post by accident.

I wrote:

Wu my man,

Thanks for mentioning my name,but please do not refere anyone to me at this moment because I broke my foot 7 weeks ago and yesterday was the first time I got in contact with the real world.Smile,i'm really out of sort at this moment.

be well everyone.
Mano.

P.S.Wu I'll PM you.

P.S Vinny, those are big names you mentioned there,that is nice of you to include me in that group, I will certainly add Dave Roth right on the top of that list, with respect to the other ones.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Special user
Lake Worth FL
958 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I think it was John Carney who mentioned that he mostly uses a finger palm when concealing a coin, however he will use the classic palm as a transitionary device (my words, not his). For instance, let's say you are showing your hands in a palm up display, coin concealed in finger palm (Ramsey subtlety), but you need to reach down to the table to move another coin or object. You transfer the coin from finger to classic palm so you may move the obect. After the moving the object you immediately bring the coin to finger palm. This helps greatly in keeping your hands looking natural.
End non-sequetior.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I have an ok CP but prefer Crimp, Thumb and finger palms and all the variations of each! As I've mentioned in past posts, my hands and fingers have been smashed, crunched, bit and stomped so many times by horses that the brain to hand signals quite often glitch out on me! When I first started handling coins I had a heck of a time with the CP and Vinny came to my rescue by sending me vids of the Crimp. I feel more confidant holding out with the crimp and just knowing I have it as a reliable palm I have been able to slowly work on a CP that looks pretty good most of the time and I do use it almost exclusively for certain routines but the crimp is my main stay!
Time and practice are key and FUN is mandatory IMO!
Mick
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
The mouse of the computer is the secret to classic palm.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Funny you mention that Gary because I always feel that if I can use my mouse (scrolling and r and l clicking) with a coin CP'd I'm doing well!
mightyred75
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of mightyred75
Thanks for all the great advice. I found the Top Hat ezine on magic bunny web forum very useful and other tip bits on this topic have been very beneficial to me. Once again thanks for all your help. Hopefully with plenty of practice and patience I may become half as good as David Roth (I wish!!!!!)

Cheers
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I talked a bit with Ray Goulet about the classic pass. The adage "Practice, practice, practice" is no good for me because I don't know what to practice. I haven't gotten a feel for what muscles need to be contracted. I've tried moving the coin all around with no luck. So I asked Ray for help.

So Ray told me that in his experience there are some folks who just never get it and that he has seen very few folks with a "great" CP. He showed me his, and it's placement, and declared that his was "pretty good", but a few others were much better. It looked pretty good to me and if I didn't know he was palming a coin I wouldn't have suspected that anything was going on. It was a little more cramped than with his empty hand.

I will continue working on it, now and then, and may get one of the videos on it, but for now, I'm working on a finger palm. I like the Ramsey subtlety, it's very deceptive.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
Hand size doesn't matter.

Practice does.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8746 Posts

Profile of harris
Has anyone tried my nearly normal palm exercise(above) with different size coins?

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Here's the best advice I can give you, and I am not trying to be funny.

K.I.S.S!

Nothing comes easy.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
My impression is that there are two distinct ways of doing a CP. I have seen several tutorials favoring each of these methods.

The first one is the far back technique which demands a lot of squeezing. This is the one described at coinvanish.com where the hand gets a V shape when seen from behind. I think this method will probably be the most difficult to learn for most people and in my opinion it is also the one you can often spot when you see a "thick" hand oddly squeezed together from the sides. However it is far better for displaying coins while holding out in a subtlety.

The second one which is the one I use, has the coin further towards the front. I hold it very loosely and it's more a question of pressing it into my palm than to squeeze from both sides. For me it is mostly loose skin pressing the coin into more skin and I fear that I won't develop any more muscles from doing it for a long time. But that is the way that feels natural to me.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
It doesn't matter how far back or how far forward you do it, as long as you use the correct muscles.

I put the coin that far back in the tutorial because it leaves no doubt what muscles hold the coin. In actual use, I will palm where ever it hits my hand (far back, more forward, etc.) This lets me palm without having to make adjustments, as long as it gets to the general area, its done.
Click to visit:
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
The secrets,is to find the right way to CP and then practice,practice practice;it is going to take you a couple of years to really have a good CP as those guys mentioned above by Vinny.

one's has to pay his due.

wz.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Aha. That makes sense then. I thought maybe there where two different schools, so to speak. Thanks for clearing that up. Smile

In any case, for two days I have been practicing with the coin a lot further back than normally (since that is difficult for me and I don't like that there are things that are difficult for me), and I do get a better feel of using the actual muscles that way. After a while, putting the coin where I normally put it feels a lot easier.

So putting it far back and squeezing from the sides for a while seems to be a great warmup exercise. Perhaps better than just putting it in CP and making a tight fist for a while.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Vinny is correct. If your hands don't fit, a classic palm won't work no matter how much you practice. If you try and try, and I mean hours and weeks and months to do it on a daily basis, and it isn't working, try the Vinny's Crimp or other methods that work for you.

Whatever you decide, don't give up until you have spent a long time practicing without any improvement.

Craig
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

My CP problem was always that I was able to do it fairly well after the first two days or so. But a year later I am still nowhere near being able to for instance snapping my fingers while holding out a coin in CP.

Since I don't really feel that I use any muscles when in CP, I fear that I will never improve on what I have now. Which is pretty good. Just not rock solid.
Hoppini, the Mediocre
View Profile
New user
Canada
41 Posts

Profile of Hoppini, the Mediocre
OK, newb here. Been practicing finger palming, classic palming, thumb palming etc...basically working my way through Mark Wilson's, Tarbell, and David Roth's video...and I've never heard of a "crimp" palm until I read this thread. Can anyone fill me in? I'm getting a little desperate....I seem to be getting a good handle on all of this stuff, but the classic palm. I've been working for 2 months, and I can't even get my palm to hold the coin at all, let alone keep it there for any amount of time. (And I've studied the instructions on the coinvanish site too...that was one of the first instructionals I found)

I just don't think my hand is built that way. What's a good alternative that lets you still pick stuff up off a table?
iceblade
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of iceblade
Hoppini don't worry about your hand and give the CP at least 6 months...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8746 Posts

Profile of harris
I am still a "newb" after 30+ years of coin magic. Stay green so you and your art can grow.

Sometimes less is more and as mentioned keep it simple sorceror.

Small amounts of practice...as the story of the Zen Sword Master and a potential student. The student told the master that he would practice twice as long as the master suggested. The master then said it would take twice as long..(story edited for brevity...

insert visual of 1 finger pointing

temporary helpers for me in the past have ranged from violin rosin to the pink sort quick stuff. .. if all else fails try finger, nowhere, thumb and or double sided tape...(anyone remember the magician who used to work for the tape company and developed all those effects...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Any secrets for a good CP?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL