The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Any secrets for a good CP?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Hoppini, the Mediocre
View Profile
New user
Canada
41 Posts

Profile of Hoppini, the Mediocre
So...is this "crimp" palm the one that's sort of like the CP except its betwwen your thumb muscle and the "meat" at the bottom of the 2nd and 3rd fingers?

I'm thinking it might be one I already know...just not by that name.
tombola
View Profile
New user
Gothenburg, Sweden
51 Posts

Profile of tombola
I must say that I have found the advices about C.P. in Coinvanish.com very useful!

Thanks.
Hoppini, the Mediocre
View Profile
New user
Canada
41 Posts

Profile of Hoppini, the Mediocre
I see.
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Quote:
On 2008-02-13 22:06, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
My CP problem was always that I was able to do it fairly well after the first two days or so. But a year later I am still nowhere near being able to for instance snapping my fingers while holding out a coin in CP.

Since I don't really feel that I use any muscles when in CP, I fear that I will never improve on what I have now. Which is pretty good. Just not rock solid.

It happens the same for me, I've been doing magic for about 7 years and lernt the CP in 2001, at first I had a very good CP but after going in an out of magic a few times I loss some of the abilities to CP a coin, for instance mi pinkie is ackward like is separated from the rest of the fingers, like when you pull that pinkie away from the ring finger and my thumb is a bit crimped (spelling).
I think I hold the coin in the right spot, the very same David Roth and Michael Rubinstein teach in their videos.

The issue I have with the CP is that sometimes for example when I try to type in the keyboard, use the mouse or anything like that when CP I feel that the coin just slides from the side of my pinkie, the coin slides that muscle that is beneath the pinkie and is used to CP and the way I found to keep it in place is to press more and more the coin into CP and make more pressure with my thumb wich makes my hand look more crimped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
mballen11502
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis, TN
202 Posts

Profile of mballen11502
I've been working on the cp for just a few months and I feel like maybe it comes naturally to me. I can type, handle additional coins, and drop coins from cp one at a time. I attribute some of this to the fact that I've been playing guitar for 15 years and have a fair amount of finger dexterity as a result. One thing I have found though is that a coin with a very sharp edge is much easier to maintain in cp. I use re-edged coins from Schoolcraft and they are incredibly easy to work with. I can cp a coin with a smooth edge as well but with the sharp edged coin, I don't necessarily have to hit the sweet spot for the coin to stick. I have a lot more leeway as far as where in my palm the coin is located. Hope this helps.

M
Mithrandir
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island N.Y.
111 Posts

Profile of Mithrandir
I read in another thread that using rosin may help your cp. Has anyone tried this and does it help ?
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I like to do as Harris mentioned. I practice my CP and Coin Roll together. Usually just one coin in CP while rolling another. I think it's really helping to improve both.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hoppini pm me I will send you a demo of my crimp technique,,,,
this palm has several names one of which is called the "thumb crotch".
to tel;l you the truth I can clasicc palm but my hand looks like a claw
and evehn some of the best names in magic look like they are squeezing oranges LOl ...
this is why I do not ever use the classic palm ,,,, its my hands
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jbk2006
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
230 Posts

Profile of jbk2006
Make sure you don't make the "tall tail" sign when practicing....ammar has a good teach in also.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3389 Posts

Profile of gaddy
While practicing, wiggle fingers 2 and 3 as you put the coin into position, this might assist the coin into the "sweet spot". It helped me!

Don't do this during a trick, though... as the muscle movements might telegraph your action to the specs...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
Here is something I don't think has been mentioned yet: make sure you practice in a way that keeps your CP what I call dynamic. That means practicing going into CP-easily- from another sleight. Like from finger palm to CP, or thumb p to CP etc. Of course the reverse as well. That way your hand can develop the skill it will require in a real routine. I'm having really good results that way lately.
Bert
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8746 Posts

Profile of harris
Just commented on a thread on the Okito Box...which goes well with Berts idea...

After securing coins from a "sealed" box..the coins (at least for me) go to finger palm. From their 1-4 coins go silently to classic...

In my routine, I produce them one at a time (usually from a small hat or other object..ear..spectators cell phone...) and coin roll while keeping the remaining ones in classic...

Gesturing can help...

going from classic to finger palm (1-4 or 5 coins) to adjust your glasses...(while showing an "empty hand".

Harris
2 old to know everything..
deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Any secrets for a good CP?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL