The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Video of Wakeling Ball Routine? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Hello,

I have spent quite a bit of time searching the forum for a link or resource that has video of the Wakeling 5 ball routine. There was a reference in one of the threads to a youtube video that had it, but no link.

Can anyone help? I am working on it and there are a few moves I'd like to see on video to make sure I am doing the routine justice.

Thanks...
David
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
David,

I think that I've read here on the café, that Mark Kalin uses Alan Wakelings Ball Routine in his magic show. So try to search under his name.

Oliver.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
When you read this routine from the book its quite easy to imagine it onstage. Plus, Steinmeyer gives a lot of pictures. It is a simple ball routine. I do it actually in my shows.
Best,
Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Thanks for that Oliver, I'll try that, too. I thought I had searched under Kalin and also Greg Wilson already and still wasn't able to find anything.

Soleil, some of the flourishes I was a little confused on and wanted to see.

David
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
David,

I've been doing billiard balls for years. Both the Wakeling routine and others. If I can help, pm some specifics and I will do my best to help.

Please be patient for a reply as I am currently touring and sometimes it takes awhile for me to get to it.

If you think a written description based upon experience will help, contact me.

John J.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
David,

I would love to see a video of Alan Wakeling doing his 5 ball routine. I do the routine but I don't think I do the routine justice. It is a simply brillant billard ball routine.
3mjo
View Profile
New user
Germany
20 Posts

Profile of 3mjo
Here is a very short clip of Kalin showing a very very short part of the Wakeling Routine:
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=7......lindex=1
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Wow. That was short alright. I saw the routine in person and I remember it being one of the best parts of the act. I just don't remember anything specific about it except one part which I should not divulge as it would be rude (to Mark) to do so.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
How can we watch the whole of the act?

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

You go to Reno, NV in the USA.

http://www.bestmagicshow.com/magic_underground/

There is the website. Buy yourself a ticket and you'll see the whole show right up close.

All the seats are good.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
3mjo,

Thank you for that link!

I have read that Mark and Greg Wilson performed a 'tandem' billiard ball routine on the Magic Circus. Does anyone know if this is the Wakeling routine or another?

Sincerely,
David
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
David,
I learned the routine from the Wakeling Book a bunch of years ago, and I also tried to find a video of it, but I couldn't.
It forced me to interpret the moves in my own way. It seemed like a problem at first, but now I'm glad I had to use my creativity.
PM me if you have any specific questions about the moves and I'll see if I can clear it up for you.

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Good for you Ben!!!! Congrats! What size balls do you use?
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Ben,

I'll do that, thanks for the kind offer!

Sincerely,
David
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Hey Frank,
I have 2" white Fakini's. They're a lot to handle sometimes, especially at the end with all five in one hand. But they look great on stage! I recently themed out the routine with an appearing pool cue and a red velvet pocket from a pool table. Fun stuff!

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Great to hear. I know that routine was created with big billiard balls in mind.
Keep up the good work!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Wakeling routine reads like it is very slow and a lot of artistery put into the presentation. I dought if that would play well in todays fast paced world.

There is probably not a video of his routine because back then there were only film. And not much was filmed in those days. He performed his act in nite clubs and a few magic conventions. Still camera was the only way to record acts then. I remember trying to use a still camera taking shots of Fred Kaps act in Kansas. It was hard trying to watch the master and shoot stills at the same time.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
(The Wakeling routine reads like it is very slow and a lot of artistery put into the presentation. I dought if that would play well in todays fast paced world.)

If that were true there would be no reason for Mark Kalin to perform this now would there?

Randy
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Opinions, opinions. Fast paced world? Yes it is, however everyone needs a breather every now and then. Do I need to even mention pacing? Come on.

I've performed the Wakeling routine exactly as it is in the Wakeling book many times over the years and it PLAYS. The main thing is to get your head around this routine and understand Alan's thought process in the construction and presentation of this routine.

Sure, many parts of this routine can be incorporated in your own unique routine (yep, done that too) with success---as long as you are competent in routining and can present magic effectively (not simply remembering all the moves and making it to the end of the routine, rather PRESENTING an entertaining and deceptive piece of magic).

Anyway, put in the effort and the Wakeling routine is KILLER. Or, do me a favor and don't do so I can keep this more special and unique to me.

Enjoy,
John J
BenHFarrar
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of BenHFarrar
I may be wrong, however there is a video on youtube of vernon performing the rings, which I'm pretty sure was recorded during the "Its Magic" show which Wakeling did with Frakson and Vernon. (I compared stills form the video with stills from Steinmeyer's book, and it seems to be the same performance. If this is correct, then that means that there is definetely at least one video somewhere in existence. The emergence of this vernon video suggests that there is a good chance of a wakeling one resurfacing.

The Wakeling ball routine is a major segment of my act, and plays very well. With some minor changes (a couple of high tosses and a flash production of the first 2 balls and modern music), and the routine plays very well.

I would love to see a video of the routine being performed by wakeling or his students.

Ben Hart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Video of Wakeling Ball Routine? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL