The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy dropping stool (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
I found a place online that had plans for this, tried to order and got email saying they no longer have these plans in stock. anyone know where I can get plans for the comedy dropping stool? it's the stool that falls and when you stand up a poll about 6 inch long is sticking up through the seat. It's been around for several years. this one was made out of a small stool kind of like a drummer's stool. it can be taken apart and packed for shippment. I'm looking for the plans to build either video plans or paper plans makes no difference. thanks in advance for any help!
Joe C
OKC
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2611 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Hi Joe,

If, rather than making one, you decide/want to buy one you might want to check out Hank Lee's Magic factory for the kingchair

If you do get one there are some relatively minor alterations/additions that you will need to make in order to prevent it from falling apart on you after not too many performances. But once made the stool will serve you for a long time

One word of warning...there was someone advertising these stools on ebay. They traded under the name 'voyant' but they no longer appear to be registered. I bought one but when I received it it turned out that the stool did not have the dropping mechanism. You just sat down and when you stood up there was a spike there. Obviously not the same thing at all and difficult to make funny as it doesn't make any sense. After many emails I eventually got the seller to agree that the item he sold me wasn't as advertised. He also agreed to refund me my money and several years on I'm still waiting for it.

If you get the one from Hank I'd be happy to let you know the small modifications you need to make to prevent it falling to bits on you.

Cheers Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Please buy this from the originator instead of ripping him off or building your own.

http://www.dickstoner.com/Products.htm

I recently saw a Las Vegas magician (whom we all know) using a knock off of Dick's original Bottoms Up Barstool. It looked horrible.

Also - there's a subtlety that Dick has built into the stool that is VERY important for the success of this gag. I won't get into the specifics, but seeing them side-by-side, you would undeoubtedly know the difference.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
As has been discussed elsewhere in the Café it appears as if Dick Stoner is not the originator of this effect nor did he ever claim to be. It’s been done for years and the stool he sells, although I'm sure very good, is cost prohibitive for most performers. It’s an old English music hall gag. Dick adapted the blank gun blanks that fire when the action happens.

You can read the posts from 2005 here
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=10
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2611 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Comet: I enjoyed reading your last post. Smile

Michael: Smile

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Seems I stand corrected! My apologies! I was told (not by Dick) that the barstool was his creation and the others were knock-offs.

In my opinion (having seen both performed in live situations), there is a large difference in how the two are received.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Dick Stoners certainly does look nice.

(BTW - without being too gross, the title to this thread has a double mean to do with what happens to a spectator sits on the product.\)
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
I too recently got the ultra cheapo model on ebay and was very disappointed. I went back and reread the auction and I guess technically he didn't lie about the product - though I feel that many expect the common version of the effect. I wish there was an easy way to modify it to be like the King Chair, but nothing suggests itself to me that would accomplish that.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
(BTW - without being too gross, the title to this thread has a double mean to do with what happens to a spectator sits on the product.\)
[/quote]

ROFL I guess I won't ask for a sample then!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:

Dirty minds think alike. I was about to ask if that's what happens when a tiger paws your head.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
The Tiger is actually a fortune telling tiger and is reading the lumps on his head.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Of course!
"How the tiger discovered phrenology"
It's a classic Kipling story.
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
I call that picture "my cat playing with his food" That was NOT my tiger I had a comedy spot for an illusion show and that was one of the tigers in the show. the way he was licking his lipps I think he wanted to do more than just read my mind. I did make sure the handler was CLOSE lol
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
It is a very cool avatar.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8746 Posts

Profile of harris
Looks like the tiger could be a hair raising experience....

I bought a product for hair restoration.
After it showed up on my back, I realized I should have been more specific.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I believe the true originator is Doty...if you don't know him, then you should!

He's a member of our GA ring...ring 9
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Oh, yes, Doty. I have some of his plumbing.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
To be honest - I'm not sure that gag is worth the price and the fuss of shipping it about!
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
It's definitely not worth the fuss of shipping it about - I personally only use it for shows that I drive to. No sense in flying something that large for a 3 second throwaway gag (although the response is incredible).

I think it's definitely worth the price, however. Has been for me, anyway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy dropping stool (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL