The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Plastic Paddles...Opinions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Hi! I'm just wondering what your opinion is on using plastic paddles for professional tablehopping. Plastic is usually frowned upon by pros, I suppose, but I think it depends on the presentation. For example, I have a couple of paddles made of plastic from a kid's magic set. They have flies on them and, over the past few months, I have grown very fond of using these things. But I am always interested in other's opinions.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The ONLY OPINIONS that matter are the audiences.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Exactly right Pete... and I can tell you audiences get a big kick out of Paul Green's Pygmy Paddle routine. PM him here on the Café and he can send you a whole bag of plastic paddles and the routine for a very modest price. They are sheer polypropylene perfection! It's a plastic paddle routine that plays very well with audiences and they end up with a souvenir. Best of all, you can customize the paddles with a message. (Great if you’re doing a corporate or Restaurant Gig)

I’ve performed this with great results. I’ve seen Paul kill with it. Very entertaining. (polypropylen pygmy paddles are positively perfect people pleasers) you get the idea?
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I never heard anyone complain over plastic paddles.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
That is a great point, Pete! And I will have to track down Mr. Green for some of those pygmy paddles!
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I don't think anyone would object over these "plastic paddles"; wish I had them and more.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Feel free to contact me via PM.

Regards,

Paul (Purveyor of Plastic Paddles) Green
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
As long as the paddle looks nice, who cares? I love paddles - all shapes, sizes, colors, and styles.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.christophermanos.com
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
I highly recommend Paul Green when it comes to paddles. He's got some cool variations on the paddle move.

If you don't want to use a plastic paddle, check out John Carney's ideas using a butter knife and napkin to make a table-ware paddle. I think it's in Carneycopia, if I'm not mistaken.

- Frank
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I ordered a bunch today. Had a great conversation with him. I'll have my paddles in a few days.
www.christophermanos.com
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I got Paul's Pygmy Paddles in the mail today and I really like them and the routine. The price was right, and the paddles handle well. Often I find that most stir sticks or swizzles fail to txxx well. (Point in fact - I have a collection of 25 copy paper boxes filled to the brim of swizzles)

Paul's routine is swell and the stick is worthy of giving to the person that you are performing for.

The only improvement I can see is that he could include a person with fine handwriting to write on the sticks. My penmanship is rather poor...
www.christophermanos.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

I got some clear plastic labels and printed on them with a printer. Just an idea. it looked pretty good. I prefer starting with a blank paddle however. I love it when I get to take the name off and hand it to the spectator. fun moment.

www.RichHurleyMagic.com
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Guys;
I just used about a dozen of Paul Green's Pygmy Paddles last night in walk-around, for a very up-scale dinner party crowd.

I held the paddle and allowed the person to print their name on the paddle with the sharpie themselves while it was braced on my outstretched palm.

The reaction to the trick was fantastic, they were walking around later rubbing the paddle as if the ink would magically rub off for them. Three of the people I performed this for asked for business cards and one called this morning and booked me for June.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You....Paul Green!

If you have not seen this, watch Paul's presentation on the Jailhouse dvd set.

And if you have not already contacted Paul about getting some of these, DO IT!

As they say in the food industry...That's Money right there! These paddles will definately bring you in gigs and more income.

All the Best
Marty
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Wow! Another satisfied performer.

Who would have thought a simple paddle routine would be so well received? This routine has made me money!

Thanks to Marty, Chris, and Rich!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Paul;
It is not just a simple routine... It is a real world tested piece of entertainment.
That is what seperates you from those who just try to put things out on the market. Your material is tested, and reworked until you make it sing, and that my friend is worth its weight in GOLD!

For anyone out there who has not used the Pygmy Paddles or any of Paul's material...do yourself a favor and contact Paul now. His DVD the Classic Force is a must have. Grab this DVD and spend a couple of weeks going over it until you have it down pat, and you will have a masterpiece that will stay with you forever.

If any of you trust my opinion on close up magic, contact Paul and get the Pygmy Paddles and the Classic Force DVD, you will be glad you did.

All the Best
Marty
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
Hey Rich,

I liked your idea of printing labels. I used my Brother P-touch handheld label printer and it fit perfectly on the paddle. Now I have a class act!
www.christophermanos.com
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Fantastic, I didn't know the p-touch fit so well. good to know!

I found a small Avery (8667 or 8167) return address label (transparent) that's almost perfect. The require a tiny bit of trimming on the very end with an x-acto knife. Becuase they're transparent they look pretty good...

Glad to hear you could use the idea!

www.RichHurleyMagic.com
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I just PM'd the good gentleman for more info..I think it would be great to personalize a paddle for my pediatric patients, and be able to give it to them after the routine. The label maker idea makes this so easy to do on the fly. I had hoped to find some more good stuff to use in the hospital setting, and this is perfect because there is no possability of cross contamination between patients in the hospital. I am having a eureka moment in my magic development..the flow of ideas on this forum is priceless..thanks fellas.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Plastic paddles -- good.

Plastic coins -- not good.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Plastic Paddles...Opinions? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL