We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Self Production/Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
202 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
Hi!
Where might I find resources for self productions and vanishes? I'm looking for those ones where you've got an empty box and you put a sheet over it, with a spotlight shining through, and your silouette appears and your there. I'm also looking for some cool quick vanishes of myself.
Stuff that's copperfeild-like.
Thanks.
-Vincenzo
Clarence
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore, City Central, Scotts Road
146 Posts

Profile of Clarence
The illusion you described is called "Shadow Box"

There is the advanced method and the standard one.

The equipment can be expensive!

There are many different ways to make yourself vanish.

You just have to do it in style and perfect timing to make it look really good. Adding some smoke or fog machines help as well.

What the audiences sees will be nice but what you are doing behind the scenes may not be nice to do.
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
Vincenzo,
If I'm not mistaken, the Tarbell series shows you how to build an inexpense shadow box. I don't remember which book though. Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
ILLUSIONS:

So it is Illusions you want? Then check out the professionals:

I know there are more, these seem to be the major contributers for the professionals.

Below are some great sites I had to bookmark related to Illusions

One thing that is clear, it cost money. Don't forget the big ticket items need to cart these things, such as a trailer, now you need a truck to pull the trailer. Also, there is the sound system, and lighting system. The locations to perform are limited. Road trips and away from home is also part of the Illusion Business. And I only scratched the surface!
Dennis Michael
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
202 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
Thanks everybody!
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Try a paul osborne plan, FLASH APPEARANCE.
Very stunning when used in the correct stage setting. Smile
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
389 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Eddie, what is the effect of it?
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Tarbell Vol. 4 explains the shadow box that Okito used in his show. This box is for materializing an assistant though.

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Try Bisection from Andrew Mayne.

Symmatrix
Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
The flash appearance is basically a frame on a platform, or on the stage. It can be made up to look like a door frame, or you may wish to use a pillar style. Basically, a flash pot goes off and your seen standing in the middle of the frame.

I'd also reccommend an illusion out of andrew maynes illusion fx book. http://www.weirdthings.com it's called the infinity cabinet. It can be performed surrounded, and it's easy and inexpensive to make. It's a cabinet made up of roller shades. The front shade is opened and you can see to the back of the cabinet, it is empty. The shade is lowered, in an instant all the roller shades roll up and the magician appears.
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Similar to the above: on the stage is a platform with a door-like frame on it. On its own (actually under your control), a curtain or blind drops the length of the door. A second or two later, the curtain drops to reveal you standing on stage, having magiclly appeared. This effect is marketed under a few names, although I cannot remember any. Definately worth a look though.
PS- Unlike the above post's effect, you can see all the way thru the doorframe on this one to the back curtain. It is self contained too.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Vincenzo,
Are you more or less a one man show, or do you have dancers and a box jumper?

Ray
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
No response yet from Vincenzo,
but does anyone recognize the effect I described above and know where it can be obtained. (Pre-manufactured, not custom built) I would like to know for reference as well as to post it here.
Thanks
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I think that Magic Makers have something that looks like a door frame that uses a curtin.

Ray Noble
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
That is a very similar effect, except a different method (I believe). It is veryneat and can even produce two people. The one I'm referring to uses the b**e principle and has a very thin frame. Any other sitings of this illusion?

UPDATE: May 10. 2003

Either Star Gate or Portal of Appearances would fit this description. Both are about $4000 from Magic Makers as Ray Stated.
http://members.attcanada.ca/~gerryf/oillusio.htm
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
202 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
One-man basically. Sorry about taking so long to answer. Haven't been following the post for a while...
-Vincenzo
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
I have desighned a shadowboxmethod that allows you to produce an unlimited amount of people construction cast is about $80-$130 if anyone would like to know more I would be happy to talk to you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Self Production/Vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL