The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 80 3-6 year olds!! What Would YOU Do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
OK - so I have a school job.

Yes - on the same day at the other one! Smile

80 3 to 6 years olds for 3/4 hour.

I'm just interested in what routines you would do to ensure maximum entertainment for the entire range.

And remember, there's 80 of the little darlings!! Smile

Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Well Balloons are out.
Sammy Smith has a video on this and he specializes in this range. He closes with a puppet, rabbit in hat, pretending to whisper to him, on doing a trick.

He does crayons to silk then uses the silks in a the Crystal Tube with some funny lines. He also does a nest of boxes.

Consider the coloring book, and egg bag trick, miser's dream, these are all good tricks.

BJ Hickmans Video is a good one and you can get some good routines from that tape.

Visual, Color, and audience participation is a must.
Dennis Michael
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
One thing you need to keep in mind is the intellectual differences between a 3 year old and a 6 year old. Whenever I have a wide age range like that, one thing I do is, in sequence, target one routine for each age. For the 3 year olds, you probably don't even have to do any magic, get a puppet and tell a story. Also remember 3/4 of an hour is going to be a very long time to these kids.. their attention span is rather short. Anything that is visual and colorful, and doesn't require them to remember anything will be good for this age. Don't think "magic" with this age group..... think
"entertainment."

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Entertainment a la Barney or Sesame Street Style.

The coloring book is good. A pet rabbit trick is good for an ending, clown magic is also good, slapstick humor!
Dennis Michael
SloMo150
View Profile
Regular user
Speedway, Indiana
121 Posts

Profile of SloMo150
Check out David Ginn's site. He has some great books and pamphlets about doing kids shows... http://www.ginnmagic.com
Hey wanna see me pull a rabbit from my hat, (lion appears). I gotta get a new Hat.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
My show for this age range (and even older) opens with the oh-so-humble rope to silk. Kids love characters. So I give my "friend" the rope, a name. He lives in my pocket and comes out still 'sleeping'. So, the kids have to yell "Wake up Ralph!" He then attempts to 'stand up'.

Holding him by one end I use the look-don't-see method here as I stand and gesture toward Ralph -- who proceeds to fall and dangle by the end I am holding onto. The kids, of course, yell that he's not standing. I do this a few times with some other bits o' business, and in the end Ralph transforms from a rope into a silk handkerchief.

There's more to this, and the transformation makes sense within the routine of course.

I do get a great reaction from this simple routine though. It involves the kids in the show immediately, and when the transformation happens at the end, I usually hear adults audibly gasp.

Have fun with the kids,

Scott Smile

Ah, just one more thing. Mark Daniels' shows are well suited to this age group. He has a video out titled "Book Magic" that has his full library show and explanations of tricks performed during the show. Personally, I don't perform any of his magic, but I did pick up a number of subtle ways to deal with and entertain this age group from the tape. If interested, I believe that Samuel Patrick Smith produced and distributes this tape.

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Produce a bunch of rabbits, by your favorite method. Then, let the kids pet the rabbits! That'll fill 45 minutes! LOL!
Smile
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
What I would do for younger children. I do a dramatic routine about Captain Catfield where I dress a kid up like a Pirate cat and cut off a velcro-attached tail with a sword.

A treasure chest is produced from an empty castle. The chest is shown empty, the child thrusts the plastic sword into the chest to prove it's empty. After the chest is placed back into the castle and removed, 100 feet of coloured beads cascade onto a tray held by the cat-helper.

The whole story is on tape with background music and sound effects. I find even 6 year olds can follow the simple directions on the tape (put sword in chest, walk in circles, try to catch the rubies and diamonds on the tray, etc.)

Young children love stories, music, acting, colour, noise, movement, surprise and all of these elements are present here.

Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I'd do my standard kids show that I've done about 1500 times. You just keep doing it, throwing out the stuff that doesn't play and keeping the stuff that does, until you've got a successful show. Then, and this is important, don't mess with it!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Phil Lawson
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Phil Lawson
Do you think there is a maximum no. of kids that you should preform for? As we all know kids can get really out of hand Smile
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
Not if they can still see the stage.
Smile
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
80 3-6 yr olds? What would I do?

A RUNNER!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 80 3-6 year olds!! What Would YOU Do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL