The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » The poor little birdy! Say it isn't so! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
All this make me hungry, I think I'll have squab with rice and asparagus.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2008-06-23 12:57, Pete Biro wrote:
I think the Shimada story above is wrong. What Haruo did was tell customs he had to feed and care for the birds. He bought some local birds, and went into customs where they were holding his trained birds and HE SWITCHED THEM and left with his trained birds.

I wouldn't be suprised.

When we worked outside the US,
we used local chinese cochan chickens.

The amount of time and energy to get
them all checked for health inspection
and license was not worth it.

but for the real trained acts; like
dogs, monkeys and so forth. it is
very necssary.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
magicmax1
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicmax1
Poor doves....

Its cruel

-Max
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 23:29, Bill Palmer wrote:

So, you go to the INTERNET? To look for TRUTH?
If...you go to the internet to learn how magic tricks work, then you are really doing yourself no favors here. First, you are either a complete newbie at this. Or you have learned all of your magic by trolling the internet, and therefore have a huge gap in your learning.

So, Mr. Palmer: if the Internet is so useless for learning about magic, why do YOU spend so incredibly much time here at the Café? The Eternal Order, and all that? (This is a serious question, not a "flame." I really don't understand what you're saying here.)

BTW: I don't remember that ET died in the movie, did he? Or do you mean a different movie?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You certainly know how to twist a phrase, don't you?

I'll explain a few things. I don't spend as much time here as you think I do. These titles "Eternal Order," "Veteran User," etc. do not reflect how much time we spend reading at the Café, but how many posts we have made. These are titles that Steve Brooks has conferred, not I. Steve could have chosen anything he wanted to for the different titles the levels of posting have. But he didn't.

You don't make your living from magic. I did for 35 years. I know a lot about magic. This is how I participate in it now, other than collecting, researching and publishing. I get far more of my information from libraries, including my own rather large personal library, than I do from the internet.

If you look at the amazing amount of pure crap that is posted on the internet and compare it to the facts, you will find that Sturgeon's Law holds true for the internet just as it does for everything else. The main difference between the internet and material that is published in traditonal hard copy is that there is basically no vetting process for the internet.

Anyone can post anything he wishes on the internet. It costs very little to do so. You can get a MySpace page for nothing. You can get a FaceBook page for nothing. You can get unlimited web space, unlimited bandwidth and a domain for less than $200 for two years, if you know where to look. Nobody will tell you that you can't put up any hare-brained pap that you want to, and you won't suffer a great finiancial loss because nobody will publish your spoutings.

With hard copy, that's a different story. If you are trying to do a thesis or a dissertation to get your Master's or your Doctorate, your work will be vetted by a committee before it is accepted and you get credit for what you do. If you simply want to publish a hardback book. the costs are considerably greater than publishing on the internet. Usually, there are editors and proofreaders involved. And if you want to sell the book, you have reviewers that will tell people what they think of it.

The main secrets of magic are not on the internet. At least, the ones that actually make magic work aren't. These are the knowledge that is gained by years of experience successfully entertaining people. I've done that. Now I'm doing this when I feel like it.

You may have a problem with the idea that someone can actually retire from a profession and selectively share his knowledge with people on a need to know basis.

Tough.

BTW, did I SAY that E.T. died?

Please re-read what I said.

Regarding your statement "this is not a flame" -- remember the old riddle:

If a man has 26 horses and 3 cows and you call all the cows horses, how many horses does he have?

answer- 26. Calling a cow a horse doesn't make it a horse.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Bravo Bill!! Smile Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Bill,

Bravo again!!
Dick Christian
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Getting back to the subject of this thread ... no practical performer would use a live bird for the cage vanish. It would serve no purpose and would be a mess to clean up between shows. Also, there is no need to stir up the animal rights groups. Most of us who do the cage (I've done it in every show for over 40 years) use a rubber bird. In all of the years I have done the vbc no one has ever commented on the bird looking fake or being rubber. And, yes, I have two spectators holding the cage as it vanishes - they get a good look. Norm N. makes and sells a nice bird. I've known other performers who used a folded yellow silk bird and even the types of real feather covered birds used in flower decorations. There is just no reason to use a real bird. BTW - the rubber birds eventually dry rot and do need to be replaced after a few years.

If the rubber bird is suspended within the cage properly (this may mean drilling a few small holes in the cage frame) it actually moves and looks quite real. To prevent the rubber bird from looking smashed, it is best to store the cage with the bird in the fully open position or the collapsed cage with the bird pulled out between the bars so that it remains fully inflated between shows. This also prevents the rubber from reacting with the brass bars of the cage.

I have a fair number of cages of various types in my collection and none of them show any traces of bird blood on them. So obviously, fake birds have been the standard for quite some time.

Go back and watch the whole movie. There are some interesting things in it.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Willard the Wizard used live parakeets. They always survived and never bit him. However, when Bev Bergeron tried to load the cage for Willard, they bit the fire out of him. Bev could never figure this out.

Source -- Willard the Wizard by Bev Bergeron.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » The poor little birdy! Say it isn't so! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL