The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Looking for this kind of book... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Hi guys,

I am looking for a self-working or semi-automatic cards book. I have see many threads and a lot are very usefull. I also have 4-5 books about the subject (Fulves, semi-automatic volume 1, Max Maxwell 6 DVD's).

While I really like those books. I think that many have the same problem for me. Material is not original in the presentation. While they are really original in the method, presentation is often "count how many cards you got and hide them....)

Is there any book that have easy cards trick or mental effect but that is original?

thanks
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The Card Magic of Nick Trost..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
>The Card Magic of Nick Trost..

That book is harder to get than a Rembrandt. Card College Light ? Next month there will be a new Nick Trost book.

Frans
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
There is a Card Magic of Nick Trost on Ebay right now...It is not harder than a Rembrandt.
Not cheap, but well worth the money. At $177.50 with a little over a day left.
Better bid.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Get Card College Light by Giobbi. Great material. Extremely well-written like all of Giobbi's books.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1264 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Devilix, have you looked at David Pogue's Magic for Dummies? Trust me, it's not for dummies, and is a highly regarded book that magicians often recommend as one of the best for beginners. It has a large section on card tricks, and includes self-working gems like Karl Fulves' "Gemini Twins", and Daryl's "Untouched" (although under different names). One of the strengths of this book is that it gives detailed information about the presentation and patter, which by the sounds of the things is what you're looking for. I'm not sure what you mean by your requirement that the presentation material be "original", but given the detail and attention this book gives to how to present tricks and what to say, perhaps it will be just the thing you're looking for.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
I'll second Card College Light, picked it up at a convention not really expecting much of it, but being a bit of a completionist and unable to argue with the price, I've actually found some very decent material in it.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Scarne on Cards
What would Wavy do?
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Card College Light, all of Fulves' books, and Scarne on Cards are my three favorite self-working card trick books. Enough stuff for a lifetime.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of alondon
Scarne on Card Magic-- easy and strong material
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
All of the semi-automatic card books by Steve Beam have some excellent tricks including the patter to go along with them.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1264 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Also consider Magic With Cards by Garcia and Schindler. It includes some fantastic self-working tricks (including classics like Out of This World), all of which are well-explained and easy to learn, and includes suggested patter. It contains 113 effects, you can check out a list of the contents here:
http://magicref.tripod.com/books/garciamagicards.htm
It's no longer in print, but used copies are quite inexpensive and easy to obtain - I recently purchased a good condition second-hand copy through amazon very cheaply.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Thanks a lot guys, Just ordered Scarne and Beam (volume 3). While I am sure that the Nick Trost book is good, I am not open to spend 150$ on a book.

Have a nice day
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
Some bob longe books can be bought very cheap on amazon and ebay there are quite a few gems in his work but you will have to sift through a lot of not so good effects to find them
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
Other good reccomendations for self workersandeasy sleight cardtricks are anything by aldo colombini nick trost and peter duffie
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
Peter duffie has a great website called alternative magic on this are over 30 free tricks.if you like his work then you can buy many e-books by said author at a very reasonable price.i think the site is peterduffie.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1264 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Some good suggestions. I'm interested in hearing more about the Bob Longe books from anyone who is familiar with them, and how the quality of the effects, suggested patter etc compares with other resources containing self-working card tricks. I gather that the quality of the effects in Bob Longe's books are not of a consistently high standard as other books like Karl Fulves or John Scarne, but that there are some gems to be found in them if you look hard enough?

alondon
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of alondon
Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book" has some very good effects
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Looking for this kind of book... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL