The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dave Womach's "Stage Make-up for Magicians & Assistants" (in review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I'm sure many of you guys (and possibly some gals too!) can relate with me in saying that make-up is a foreign "no-mans land" subject; however, if applied properly, it will add an extra touch of professionalism to you and your show- making you (the entertainer), stand out even more. Trust me, in the past few months, I've witnessed several top illusion shows in Las Vegas and have noticed the lack or over-abundance of make-up on some of the illusionist and assistants. I know it may seem like such a
tiny thing to consider, but it was almost distracting seeing assistants and dancers with an over-kill in make-up making them look like rag dolls or "corner workers". In the same regard, it was equally as bad trying to feel the emotion of the illusionist/ "magician through the performance all the while not being able to see the expressions on his face from the stage lighting washing out his face.

With this said, it is about time someone came out with a DVD covering the basics of stage make-up!

I recently acquired Dave Womach's DVD- "Stage Make-up for Magicians & Assistants". Upon removing the DVD from its plastic wrapping, I couldn't help but notice how different this DVD looked from Dave's other works such as his Secrets of Bird Magic and Parrot Training series. As said, you can't judge a book by its cover so I was not planning to do the same with this DVD!

http://www.magicalbirds.com gives this description: " Finally, a DVD that can teach magicians of all ages, how to correctly apply make-up for stage. I have watched countless magicians and assistants attempt to put on make-up for a show, only to end up looking stupid (myself included!).

It's no secret that make-up is needed for performers of all ages; it gives you color on stage, evens out your skin, covers up acne, moles, bags under your eyes, and rosy cheeks. It accentuates your positive features, and minimizes your flaws. It's no wonder celebrities can look so much younger with make-up!

Use this DVD for yourself, then change chapters and watch as the lovely Jamieleigh explains how to put make-up and hair pieces on for all assistants and/or female magicians out there!

This DVD is a must have for anybody who performs in front of the public..."

AND NOW- MY REVIEW...
Once open, I was happy to see that Dave included a nice identification/ reference chart packaged with the DVD allowing you (the spectator) a "cheat sheet" to take into you nearest Macys, Sephora, or MAC Make-up studio for clearer identification and reference of the tools (make-up, brushes, etc.) you will need to purchase to assure a professional appearance.

Once the DVD starts playing, you are immediately reminded of the caliber of performer Dave Womach is with a short teaser of his show. (I believe he said he is doing 650 shows a year!!!)

Dave makes no haste jumping right into the first "chapter" of the DVD- "MALE Step 1: Selecting Make-Up". This chapter gives simple; yet precise, instruction on finding the right make-up that matches your skin-tone. Dave gives a nice orientation of the essential tools (make-up, brushes, and even a Sharpie!!!) are used for.

The second chapter- "MALE Step 2: Make-up Application" is just as it states... Applying the make-up. Dave gives step-by-step instruction on applying make-up in the proper order. He also gives a little extra detail on eye make-up and uses for small venues, large venues, and even TV performances. This was something I have never really considered but found the information to be extremely helpful!

The next chapter- "FEMALE Step 1: Assistant's Make-Up Supplies" is instructed by Dave's beautiful wife Jamieleigh. Jamie gives a thorough overview/ orientation of all the brushes, powders, eye make-up, etc... for use by female performers (dancers, assistants, etc.).

This chapter if followed by a quick sub-chapter- "Close-Up Review of Assistant's Supplies". It goes over the names of each item used for applying by you ladies...

In next chapter- "FEMALE Step 2: Make-Up Application", Jamieleigh gives clear instruction an applying the make-up step-by-step. All I have to say is, I'm glad I'm not a lady... they have a lot more work to do when it comes to the make up!!!

The last chapter is- "Step 3: Hair/ Wig Applications". In this chapter, Jamieleigh instructs the different uses of hair-pieces, wigs, etc. I thought this was a great addition to the DVD as its a great way for your assistants/ dancers to add a little more to their hair- especially if they are crunched for time! What a great way to achieve a "just-left the salon" look.

All-in-all, I thought this was an extremely informative DVD on a subject that many of us aren't familiar with! I'd recommend this to everyone- even if you already apply stage make-up. It is a great reference!

This DVD can be purchased from his website: http://www.magicalbirds.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dave Womach's "Stage Make-up for Magicians & Assistants" (in review) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL