The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads The Magicians Bookshelf (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
416 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
The Magicians Bookshelf
http://www.magiciansbookshelf.com/
Author: Dave Brown.

What is it?
I have recently discovered a new resource for learning magic and I have to say it has me quite excited.

There is the long running argument amongst magicians about what is the best way to learn magic. Some say Books. Some say DVDs. Personally I have my feet firmly planted in the book camp, but I have to admit watching how something is executed can really make all the difference in the world.

There is of course no definitive answer to this question as we all learn in different ways, but the Magicians Bookshelf Series encompasses the best bits of Photographs, video clips and the written word.

This isnt totally new of course, there are a already a few PDFs about that do a similar thing. I know Michael Close has an electronic version of "Workers" that is pretty good. The difference with the Magicians Bookshelf though, is that it is written specifically to be viewed on a computer, and the interface is very slick. Very slick indeed.

Whats available
The books available are split into three categories. Basic, Advanced and
Room 101. Each book seems very reasonably priced with a few special offers that make the books even more tempting.

Basic
-----
The Basic Books are the real building blocks of magic and thus far include titles such as

* The Elmsley Count (4.47)
* A Sponge Ball Vanish and routine (4.47)
* The Double-Lift (4 different lifts taught). (5.47 for two books)

Advanced
--------
The Advanced Books are more routine based than merely a single sleight, and for that reason cost a little bit more. Imagine the Ron Bauer series of routines, but with photographs and video clips.

Titles include
* The Dave Brown Thumb Tie (8.97, but you get Thumb Tie Gems free with it)
* The Dave Brown Benson Bowl Routine (6.47)

Room 101
--------
The Room 101 Books are reproductions of existing booklets and include titles such as:-

* 16 Thumb Tie Gems (4.47, but comes free the The Dave Brown Thumb Tie book)
* Secrets of the Street Conjurer (4.47)

The review
It is obvious that Dave Brown has put a lot of time and effort into this project, and I am guessing that the titles that are available now are just the tip of the iceberg.

I have already downloaded several of the books, but was so pleased with the purchases that I plan to download them all. Even the ones I think I already know. Why? Simply because Dave teaches that little something extra that makes the difference between performing a sleight, and performing magic.

I will review the ones I have in detail separately, but the quality and the information taught in the books is quite amazing, and (IMHO) excellent value for money.

The interface is very easy to use and it makes it very easy to replay/reread the bits you are specifically having problems with. What I like best though is I can print them off and read them at my leisure away from the computer, but knowing if I get stuck the video clips are always there.

The first two books I downloaded were Dave Brown's "Thumb Tie ", and Dave Brown's "Benson Bowl" routine. I saw him teach these at a lecture back in 2004 and remember being extremely impressed. To be honest it surprised me that he is giving them away so cheaply. They both are pure gold dust and will not just get used, but I know I will be performing them aa lot.

Bottom Line
This is a resource I will keep an eye on, and certainly one I will be using.

Watch out for reviews on the individual books.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads The Magicians Bookshelf (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL