The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ketchup Side Down by David Allen - Trick (KETCHUPSIDEDOWN) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
High eveveryone,

I like the topsy turvey bottle routine but never liked the non ending that you usually end up with. I currently use Sammy Smiths one bottle version and think it to be a pretty good middle of the show trick. Does anyone know anything about the Ketchup Side Down (Ketchupsidedown) version of this? It sounds/looks like it has promise. Thanks for any insight.

Derrick
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Have one...the premise is the same, magicians seem to like it because it's a COMPLETELY different principle from what you're used to. No shell tube. If handled correctly, you can switch bottles/tubes at any time the spectator wants. You get the extra gag at the beginning of the squirting string from the bottles, too. Ending is about the same as the regular version, though. I prefer the jumbo crayons version...there, you have a couple different kicker endings you can use, the color change and the giant/mini finish.

Steve
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Still has a rather "Blah" ending. I love the trick but really hate the ending. Was hoping that might have been solved with the ketchup/mustard routine.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
YOu don't think the tiny crayon held against the helpers BIG crayon is a good ending?

Steve
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I guess I should read the description better about the Crayons. I'm used to my old Grant's Black Cherry Soda version. The ketchup and mustard just seemed more like real objects to me. I'm not a purist in that props have to look like every day objects. For goodness sake, I'm a huge fan of bigger wands. It is just that for year I have had fun with fake mustard and ketchup bottles and thought how wonderful to be made into a fun trick.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
It's a good effect (KetchupSIDEdown, that is) but lacks any punch finish. The crayon version has 2 endings, one where your crayon has shrunk to half the size of the spectator's and the other where it changes color completely. Also, with the crayon version, you can switch crayons with the spectator anytime.

Steve
sspanks
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta GA
241 Posts

Profile of sspanks
You should check out the Rootin Tootin' Root Beer on Hocus - Pocus. It has a unique ending and is a lot of fun.

-stephen
-stephen
NeverGrowUpMagic

http://www.NeverGrowUpMagic.com
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Quote:
On 2008-02-13 16:45, Stevethomas wrote:
It's a good effect (KetchupSIDEdown, that is) but lacks any punch finish. The crayon version has 2 endings, one where your crayon has shrunk to half the size of the spectator's and the other where it changes color completely. Also, with the crayon version, you can switch crayons with the spectator anytime.

Steve

Ok, I'm not familiar with the workings of Ketchupsidedown if its different than the regular cherry soda bottle method, or if this is even possible. But where you talk of having the kicker finish of the smaller crayon, could you possible end with the ketchup bottle changing to a ketchup sachet?

Just a shot in the dark...

Mark
Mark Daniel
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Thanks everybody. I've been busy with Valentines parties. I'm done with red and pink for a while. I didn't perform topsy turvey anything. I'm hate there wasn't better reviews of Ketchupsidedown but I guess that's the nature of the trick. Guess I'll stick with my old Sammy Smith one bottle routine.

Derrick
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The modus operandi of the KetchupSIDEdown is completely different from the crayon or the tried and true soda bottles. No shell used. You could probably complicate the routine with the ketchup sachet (in the U.S., it's a ketchup packet..as in what you'd get at a fast-food restaurant)....but that would be hard for the audience to see and instantly recognize from any distance.

Steve
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
I think all you need to have is some creativity for your Crayon Routine to make it a nice ending. I actually use mine in many of my shows and get good responses from it.
Its all on your style and the imagination you put into it.

I did see the Ketchup trick that Steve had and it has great possibilities.
I'm always willing to try something new, may get one of those as well.

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Awful. Very poorly made.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
I reviewed it a while back. Not sure if they made any changes since then.
I actually never was able to put this trick to use but going to try to modify for this summer.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
Quote:
On 2008-02-16 11:32, Rupert Bair wrote:
Awful. Very poorly made.

Is the idea any good? Maybe if it is you could get one well made...well I might if it has an interesting method.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2008-02-16 11:32, Rupert Bair wrote:
Awful. Very poorly made.

I've seen the prop. It didn't seem poorly made to me. Expand on your remarks for us.
Awful??? If you're going to use such strong criticism, a brief explanation would be very helpful.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
KetchupSIDEdown is a major part of my summer show. I've incorporated into a segment focused around picnics (hotdogs, BBQ grill dove pan, etc) and it works GREAT. The effect is similar to turvey bottles and crayons, but the gimmick is totally unique. At the end of the effect, the bottles & the tubes can be displayed & handled freely. I have a blow-off comedy ending for my routine that leads directly into the next bit.

With the occasional mindless exception, every effect or gimmick is only as good as the individual presenting it. It's sad how many people try or watch an effect then pronounce it "Awful" because they don't have the creative skill to make it work for them.

This one rocks for me and is one that the kids talk about long after the show ends.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Can't agree more with Skip. Not poorly made. I think the creator did have a problem with some of the original ones..there was a m____t that would come loose. Mine did, but I repaired it very easily and at no cost. Worked find since then.

Steve
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I have and use KetchupSIDEdown. The trick comes with a DVD (or possibly a CD ROM from memory). It shows the routine being done at a show and then explains the routine and also an ending where the magician's bottle vanishes altogether. That's the ending I use. The kids get a real laugh out of this.

I don't have any show footage, but I did video myself when first rehearsing it. It was a few years ago now, but if I can find that clip I'll send it to you.

Cheers
Billy
sspanks
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta GA
241 Posts

Profile of sspanks
I had a problem with the original set and Tim Sonnefelt sent me a replacement with no problem. I was never really comfortable with the prop. I suspect that had more to do with ME than the prop itself. I know Tim and David and they are both great guys and fine entertainers. I would not say it is poorly made... but not for everyone, as I found out.

-stephen
-stephen
NeverGrowUpMagic

http://www.NeverGrowUpMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ketchup Side Down by David Allen - Trick (KETCHUPSIDEDOWN) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL