The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Pop Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
Also, I guess if 34 posts make me young I can have a new lower back at the age of 33.

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't know where you get the idea I was capping on street or stage magicians, that is a figment of your imagination.

Q: Q1. You still did not answer the question? If you are going to review it, I'm sure you supported the Magic Community by purchasing it. So where did you purchase it?

Answer: You want to know the name of the places I purchase magic? Very odd. I buy from elmagicshop.com , The Magic Warehouse, Hank Lee's, Denny and Lee, and every so often from Penguin Magic. I believe this one was a company called pro magic. This is beyond odd, are you implying I have never seen the DVD? I don't want to tip anything from the DVD but do you want me to announce the flavor they recommend? I doubt they would like that very much. So where did you get yours? We can share like little girls!

Q2. The load was fine, close up guy or not. Could be mistaken, but I think it was Daryl who talked about how you handle cards at a table. You make it a lot harder for yourself by finger flinging sometimes, because now they will you burn you and turn up the skepticism dial. However, if you can get over not doing the acrobatics you will not excite their suspicion. BTW, the guy that made the most tips at Illusions Restaurant in Carmel, IN (where I worked for a few years) did sponge bunnies. It is all personality when it comes to restaurant, that's the final word. Michael & Steven definately have that.

Answer: That isn't a question that would be what we call a 'statement'. You seem to think I am attacking Michael and Steven, I am not, if they think I am maybe they can be big boys and defend themselves w/out your unneeded help. Dang, is there anyone who HASN'T worked in Carmel, Indiana?

Q. Too Fragile? Tell me, what's more fragile than invisible thread??? Maybe, just maybe keeping them in the original box while in the bag would work. That's not a difficult obstacle to navigate. Reloading, as I said before & before; you may not want to do the effect at every table, hold it back to do when it will do the most good. You may could go back and read the original post on the old thread where I said this. If you want to do it repeatedly, fine. You could prep a few Pop Tarts for the night before you go to work! Also, I know lots of guys that will go reload and hit the next table. Most guys need a breath between tables.

Answer: In MY opinion they are too fragile and too messy and I don't like wandering off to reload. You think it is fine and wonderful and since I don't care what you do as a performer go ahead and do what you want. I also don't use IT because it is a pain and breaks too easily. How does that grab you? Most guys don't need a breath between tables and to wander off to reload, you maybe, most I don't think so.

Q. Anyone else think they weren't working with a Pop-Tart?, HUH?

Answer: Couldn't tell you, use your imagination like you did about stage magicians to find the answer.

Q. If you are a kind soul, then maybe try going a little easier on these guys because of how they do something. If you're going to review street/stage effects when it doesn't sound like you do them, then maybe it's fair not to review them. I think that's being objective.

Answer: I don't think I was hard on them at all. You, again, are building a castle in your mind. The problem is they are likely your pals or you perceive them to be, so you feel the need to defend them when defense isn't needed. I give honest answers regardless of who the creator is. I've given bad reviews to people who are friends of mine and good ones to people I thought were punks. I have never heard of these two young men before so I do not like or dislike them, they seem like nice fellows. My review isn't bad either but I give a suggestion on what I thing gives value to the DVD but I am not going to lie and say that putting a card into a pop tart is the universal great effect you seem to think it is. Read some of my reviews, there are some DVDs that were panned by others because they were 'street' effect that I gave good reviews too from the perspective of that performing arena. I have done stage before but I am not an illusionist, I don't do them, don't buy them, don't review them. I suggest you quit being their momma and give up on your attempt to back me down. Also if you like I can send a photo of the DVD since you don't believe I own the dang thing.
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

OK SANTA- YOU WIN.
WHEN YOU OVERREACT AND THREATEN TO EXPOSE THE MATERIAL IN THE DVD, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. YOU ARE RIGHT. YOU'RE THE EXPERT. NO ONE CAN TELL YOU ANYTHING. MY APOLOGIES TO STEVEN & Michael.
SEAN SCOTT
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm not threatening anything. I'm beginning to wonder about your stability. You don't believe I have the DVD, I do, but I said I wasn't going to expose the right flavor to you to prove it. Nice way to hit the backdoor though...scurry lil' fella, scurry.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
I like this DVD and figured that it simply being unique was reason enough for me to get it.

Not sure what the fuss over everything is on this thread but I do have to say Sean that your Margarita glass production is neat but you gotta be careful as a certain something flashes during a couple of the productions. I think I saw that glass production in Tarbell somewhere.
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Tell me where I implied you havne't seen the DVD? The reason I asked about your purchase is to help me decide whether or not to listen to your comments about the product. If you didn't buy it legit, then I'd be quiet. Remember me mentioning supporting the Magic Community? Why do you think I would ask that? Think, answer your own question first. If you did tell me that info, how would that tell me even if or where you purchased it? The fact you won't answer a simple question and feel you have to get hot about it is definately instability.

Sean Scott
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Majestic

Glad you like MXL, but this thread is about Pop Card. My production is not in Tarbell, or in anything else I'm aware of. I know the origins and footnote them in the DVD. Not sure about what flashes you're talking about. Please IM me if you want to talk about it. I'd be happy to.
Thanks,
Sean
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Good Lord Sean Scott, you do ramble on don't you? I have the g'dang DVD! I don't comment on an item I don't have. I've answered you a couple of times and even told you where it came from! Listen, I'm writing you off as a crank and nothing more.
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

You are running scared. You said you believe it was pro magic? I found a few of them, not necessarily retail. Come on. Admit you didn't buy the effect but feel you're enough of an ass to wax expert. What a wierdo. Scurry, Scurry.
Sean
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I do not get it - why can't we have a fact based discussion without getting personal?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and judgement. What works for one gut does not necessary work for another one. Shall we start a war over that?
Cards never lie
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
WOW!!!! All this reading has made me hungry for a snack, what will I have, I know a Pop Tart. LOL

Let me start by saying I have seen this effect first hand, actually it was at one of Steven and Michaels shows. I remember thinking wow that’s unique, what an interesting idea. After the show Michael and I started brain storming and I had the idea to use the premises of a commercial break to set up the effect.
We all know how annoying TV commercials are and how creative sponsors are getting with product placement. So why not have a sponsor for your show, a sponsors like Kellogg’s Pop Tarts. I can see after your volunteer selects, signs and try’s to find the card the previously lost in the deck you stop for a commercial break.
Using a voice over guy to deliver the commercial lines would really make it good but you could do it your self using a cheesy VOICE OVER GUYS voice. During the break you open a box of Pop Tarts and offer one to your volunteer. As you both bite into the pop tarts you discover something strange, there signed card.

A few other things:

1. You talk about the creative ways of product placement just before you do the commercial break.
2. Have the voice over guy walk you through the action of opening the box and biting into the pop tarts much like the Vanishing Bandanna routine.
3. Use funny commercial music to play you out of the routine.
4. Wrap the pop tart up in a zip lock bag for the volunteer to take home, use this action to make a joke about the long walk to your seat sponsored by Zip Lock bags.

This is just an idea, some may like it some may hate it so take it for what its worth. FREE

Lance Richardson
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

I need to get me a pop tart . . . hungry now
Cards never lie
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
DVD cover description:
General: background blue with white swirls to lack a better term.
Front: From top:Peter Loughran Presents: then "Steven & Michael Pignataro's" then Pop Card with a spade where the A should be and it shows a left hand holding a pop tart with a bite out of it and a card extended that is the king od diamonds with the name Michael on it but you only see the Mich and part of the 'a'.
Back: Pop.Card again with the spad. The idea is to duplication the nutritional information on food products, in this case it says Illusion Facts. I won't list everything but the art was by Design Innovations and the video edit by Greg Krajewski, Michael directed while Peter was behind the marketing (street man!). You get the normal speel and mentions that Pop.Tarts is a registered trademark of Kelloggs Company, the very bottom of the lable says "2007 Mirror Images All Rights Reserved and the print is in white.
The Disk: Ha the same thing as the cover front and if you look at it with the pop tart at the bottom the copywrite information, again in white, is on the left hand side of the disk. The style of box is one where you push in the center to release the disk, instructions pressed into the holder under the disk in a smother rectangle
Spine: Says Pop.Card again with the spade on the left if held horizontal with the DVD logo to the right.

I defy anyone who has this to tell me that any aspect of my description is incorrect.

In fact I'll one more step. Andy, if you PM me your address I will mail you this DVD as a gift and you can verify it exist.

Lance, it is an interesting idea.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
OK OK OK. STOPPPPP. Enough is enough. Please shake hands and get along. I read so much that my eyes are blurred LOL. Ok let me jump in a chim in here. I really thank you guys for being so passionate about your stance. That is awesome. But lets step back here for a second. An opinion is opinion. We are all entitled to one. The one person that taught me a lot about creating magic is Peter. He said there will be magicians that will not like and will like the effect. It is the nature of the business and we accept this. Please I see both sides. This went from a Pop Card thread to a bashing each other in the head thread with pop tarts.

I will tell you I have heard personally from magicians that this works for them and this doesn't. Most of the owners of Pop Card say they LOVE it. but there are those that are skeptical. Not many but still you will always have someone that is not happy.

Magic Santa you stated it works great for your kids show. That is awesome. I am happy it works great in this style of a show for you. Sean you said it works great in your restruant work and that is perfect. There are many other ways the effect can be used and don't let those creative cells go to waste.

Well I hope this clears some things up with you two. I am sure we can all get along now. I see this where we just get personal some times. Remember these are words and we are putting mix emotions in the words. If that all makes sense.

Lance again that idea rocked and we use this concept in our show today. Gets a great reaction all the time. Lots of different routines can be done depending on the style/type of magic you are doing.

Best,

PS. please play nice you two. You both are very impressive thinkers. Don't let that go to waste.
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Santa,
wow . . . very generous offer. Are you sure?
Will PM you my adress, but feel free to reconsider making such an investment for arguments sake.

For me, despite the fact that I do not even know who is behind the funny alias, your integrity is unquestionable.

A general comment on this -
I have been around the Café some time, read most of the posts - including MagicSanta's. And by that, I was able to form my own opinion about the frequent posters.

Andy

Andy
Cards never lie
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
Thank you Steven & Michael for the kinds words, I am glad you took this old guys advice and implemented the idea into your performance of the Pop Card. The idea was giving to you and all here on the Café under the umbrella of MAGICIANS HEPING MAGICIANS. Now my idea is only one way to perform Pop Card I know there will be many others.
I look forward to the day when I see a video on YouTube of some guy using this effect in a way that makes us ALL crazy, crazy enough we would pay anything to have it. So the question is who will be the first to take the effect and make it GOLD?

Magicsanta, I feel honored that you see a little something in my idea.

Lance
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-02-22 15:06, SeanScottMagic wrote:
Ok, I'm going to approach this from another angle for you. First, you really need to acknowledge the way you slammed street/stage magicians.

Sean,

You're alone on this one, man. I'm not seeing it. After reading your accusations toward magic santa, I reread his posts looking for evidence to back up your claims toward him, and I found nothing. I thought he was very complimentary. In fact, the producers of the DVD even chimed in and thanked him for his review and his kid's show idea.

I'm not sure why you're so upset. He was offering an opinion, and pretty much got flamed out of the blue by you for no reason that I could see.

I've read many of his reviews, and he is very fair and objective with his reviews.
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
OK I am going to an odd duck, I will comment on the DVD and the effect, instead of commenting on the above posts. I own it, I bought it from the Twins when it first came out. When I first watched it I HATED it, I felt is was an unworkable idea and the DVD a tad sloppy. Then I tried it and it kills, I use it in my birthday show and am writing it into a new Mind Reading Toaster routine(thenks Paul R) for my Family shows. I like the fact it is different, and the fact of the pop tart, in my opinion takes the heat off the load. Almost every time the helper who gets the poptart in the bag ends up eating it so all we have is a sloppy card with him name on it going home. I am getting more comments from Adults regarding this effect than any other in my current show. I am not a card guy at all, but with a little study and practice I was able to manage the slights involved. That and some well placed misdirection covers the load well. My only issue with the effect is, it uses a different playing card than the usual. Not a huge problem but I had to search a bit more for the required cards. Sorry for being vaugem but get the DVD and you will understand. Just my 2cents Phil
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You use it in a stand up situation then for formal shows?
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Magic Santa, I assume your asking me, So far I use it at birthday parties. I am writing it in to my version of a Paul Romhaneny effect the mind reading toaster. Lets me use the silly toaster more and is a great tie in with it. I think anyway as it is only on paper so far. I liked the idea of the product placement aspect Hmmmmmm But in my Bday shows it is working well. All the best Phil
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Pop Card (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL