The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Running Gags" For Children! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
David Ginn uses the Color Changing Handkerchief as an excellent running gag! Do you use running gags in your shows? How about a running gag for your close-up performances?

Steve Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
I use several...one is the break away wand.

Another is my Lota Bowl. (It’s raining in here!)

Bengi
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Thanks Bengi!

I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get any posts on the subject! You proved me wrong!

Sincerely,

Steve Landavazo Smile
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I use Throwing the Knot On Rope.

I sometimes start with this and come back to it several times, and each time that it doesn't work get more and more frustrated. Until the end and it works.

Get's a great response. Smile

Magiker
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Hippity-hop Rabbits still works good for me, too!

Hey Steve! For close-up running gags? I LOVE my Scotch and Soda for that one. Do the basic routine—coins in spectator's hand, the Mexican centavo disappears...you know.

But I keep going back to the person, asking for my centavo back!!! "Can I PLEASE have it back? Can I? Can I, huh?" I never thought it was that funny myself, but I always get laughs! And to think they could have the nerve to tell me they DON’T HAVE IT!!!

Bengi
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Bengi,

One problem with Scotch and Soda, of course, is the fact that you have to get away somewhere to reset. Which is why I came up with my No-Gimmick Scotch and Soda; the routine appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring of June, 1998. But if you— or anyone else— wants the routine, just email me and I’ll email it back.

No reset, no gimmicks, real coins (that don’t sound like lead washers!) and a funny (he said modestly) patter line.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Thanks everyone!

Lots of great ideas and suggestions!

Sincerely,

Steve
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I’ll sometimes use Clippo as a running gag. Saying something like "I need two pieces of paper for the next trick", cutting it and showing it restored and then saying something like "Well, I guess I’ll do something else."

It seems to work well.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
My whole performance is a running gag. Smile

Break away wands and fans, balloons with holes at both ends, no-cut scissors, giant scissors, clown stethoscope (use this to read the mind of a balding father and you become a hero with the kids), rubber body parts left from the last performance. My main themes are ’magician in trouble and uses magic to save the day’ and ’adults are good for a laugh’.

At the end of the performance, the older boys tell me how everything was done (and they’re usually wrong, but that’s OK) and the adults provide me with beer and start probing on how it was done. I take this as a compliment— they enjoyed the performance and they were mystified.

There are just so many opportunities for comedy when performing magic, the right pause at the right time, a comment ’trust me, I’m a magician’ or just pulling out a broom from your magic box to sweep the floor after an effect. It’s these little extras that gets everyone involved.

I guess in summary, tapping into the ’child’ in everyone and sharing my love for magic is what my performances are about.
funmagic
View Profile
New user
Patrick Cordier
29 Posts

Profile of funmagic
My running gag for kid shows is a small stuffed rabbit that lives in a bag hanging on the side of my Roll on Table that also holds spare balloons, TTs etc.

The prop answers to the name ’Rabbit’ and it's very naughty— doesn’t go to bed at night, messes up his room, eats all my jelly beans and generally acts up throughout my performance (very handy to blame if a trick goes wrong too).

He gets his bottom smacked many times and as a finale I toss him into a box and change him into a real bunny. I have made all my production boxes to enable me to do this.
:magicrabbit:
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
A few running gags that I've used:

1. Based on David Ginn's "It Never Was a Very Good Trick", I use a sponge ball. After several failed attempts to make it vanish (throughout the show), I eventually make it vanish (but they see it in the other hand). I open the hand, and it has turned into a sponge rabbit.

2. Skunk Silk— I use the Switch Can. I place a black, white, and pink silk into the can. Magically, they are supponsed to join together, but they don't. I say "this trick stinks." The kids are conditioned to say "pee-u". Evenually, they all join and a skunk appears. Saying "this trick really does stink", I make a squeaking noise and say "better put him away, when he makes that noise, it means he might spray."
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
A pretty funny running gag is the Giant Tazmanian man-eating devil by Tom Myers! It is a running balloon gag and ends with a nice photo op.

Kevin Smile
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
281 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
I regularly use a running gag.

I offer at the outset to demonstrate my best trick: "Ooh, Magic Flowers" with a botaniette. Nothing happens. Embarrassment. I try again later in the show; nothing happens. "Hey, I'm not as dumb as I look; I'll just check in my gardening book, Flower Power." I fail to see the flames arising from my hot book, twice. Third time I do see them; "Whoa, this must be an overdue library book!" The third attempt, with a magic word, produces the flowers and a rousing cheer for our success.

I use the same basic routine with a goofus plant with the addition of the snakes at the end. I fail to see the arrival of the flowers as I pick up the snakes, and the children go crazy telling me about them.

In my library show I talk about my discovery: "They have books out there!" At various points in the show I pick up a book I discovered: a biograpy, the life story of the most famous American who ever lived: Smokey Bear! Hot book routine as above. Next might be a copy of Herpetology for Fun & Profit. I explain each word of the title, opening and closing the book. As I say, "The study of SNAKES", out come spring snakes.

And Water Safety for Lifeguards has its own little surprise.

There's also the biography of Ben Franklin titled My Shocking Life. Got two funkenrings in there. Built it when a library requested no fire.

Everytime I pick up a tome, the children know something is coming. Great running gag.

I also use Ginn's Amazonian Flying Snakes. It was his Professional Magic for Children that first introduced me to running gags and the rule of three.

Tom
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I like "Sim Sala Bim" from Gene Gordon's magical Legacy. It's a great running gag as long as you are not a scripted or inexperienced performer; the gag relies on the boy that is selected, how he performs his task and how you react to him. Great fun.
Phillip
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
One of the threads I use is references to chickens. (No rubber chickens YET.)

I do an ever increasing rate of juggling scarfs when my sound activating chicken goes off and starts dancing and playing the chicken dance. During my vent bit, Nigel tries to turn me into a chicken.

I am told there are mini stress chickens (like the stress balls) at Wal-Mart. I played with one and when you stretch the neck it resembles a 260 E balloon being stretched in preparation for inflating. If I can find one, I will do a balloon to chicken bit.

Also with this same prop if you squeeze a small portion of the chicken's body, you get a goiter-like ball that resembles a white egg. That might lead to a production of an egg.

Harris. Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here are a couple of ideas.
Note: Not meant to use every wand in a show, just variations of wands for the running gag comical effect of the wand, which is magical, and doing strange things.

• Comedy Wands
    Each time you grab a wand something happens: it falls apart (Break Away Wand), it bends (Spring Wand), end pops off (Pop Wand), it explodes (Bang Wand), it flashes (Flash Wand), springs franks (Sausage Wand), it vanishes (Vanishing Wand), it breaks (Ginn's Fishing Wand), silk vanishes (Silk Vanish Wand), it rises (Rising Wand), it jumps out of your hand (Rising Wand), paper flies out (Confetti Wand), giant wand (Giant Spring Snake Wand), changes into toilet plunger (Plunger Wand), apprentice hat (Plunger Wand on Head), turns into a feather duster (Duster Wand), etc.
  • Giant Snake Wand
    Giant wand doesn't do anything, it appears it is not working. "Oh my goodness...for goodness snakes why doesn't it work?", except the third time 25 snakes fly out.
  • Balloon Sculpture
    Pencil balloons (260s) have the end cut off so they flop around, then produce a rubber pig which succeeds in blowing up balloon. (Computer CO2 keyboard cleaner.)
  • Man-Eating Plant
    Ask the kids if they want to see a man eating plant. First time show the danger signs on the box. Second time show it in the cloth and out of the box. Don't show it until the third time and pull off the cloth revealing chattering teeth in a plant.
Dennis Michael
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
115 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
I do a bit where I continually call a child by the wrong name. Each time he and his friends in the audience correct me, but I still can't seem to get it right(different name each time). Finally by the time we finish the routine that the child is assisting with, I say to the audience, "Let's give ... a big round of applause!" (finally getting his name right of course)
So there you have it, great running gag, it's cheap,(no props required)and just wait till you see the reaction it gets from an audience.

Personal use only please,all rights reserved.

Ronald R. Romiski
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Running Gags; I like to start my kid shows with "rabbit out of the hat" and say that I lost my rabbit. Throughout the show the rabbit shows up and I never see it!!
At the end I catch it and put it into a cage (squared circle) and it shows up in the hat at the end of the show!!!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I use my version of an Idea Tony Griffiths did at a lecture years ago. You tie a knot in a large silk to help you remember when the show finishes, (lots of fun as knot keeps coming apart then you tie it to your thumb etc) you put the silk to the side and tell the kids that if you touch it it's the end of the show, and if they don't want the show to finish they have to shout stop before you touch it. All through the show I occassionally grab for the silk. They love it.
It's also handy if something happens to distract them, you grab for the silk they shout stop and you instantly got their attention back.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Emazdad.

I love that idea of having something to drag their attention back like that! I always ask "Who wants to help?" and that brings them back!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Running Gags" For Children! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL