We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » License for your rabbit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
515 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
I was just told that you need a license for your rabbit. My friend found this in the kidabra magazine. Can anyone help me where to go or if anyone can help me on info for this.
Thanks
Mike
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
You have to go to city hall in the town you reside. A rabbit is no diferent than owning a dog according to city officials. You must have a permit and pay for a city license to own a pet rabbit regardless if it lives indoors or outdoors.
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
515 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
So do you need to have special shot or something for these rabbits. I never heard of this all new to me.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My advice is to avoid getting the permit as long as you can. Once they get their claws into you they can bug you to death.

I have heard horror stories of suprise inspections at your home, when you travel to show, etc. They also may force you to get a permit for each rabbit.

My friend, Marty Hahne (Dazzling Magic) told me these first hand so it is not just hear say. A lot of it will depend on where you live and their laws.

Can you say thank you to PETA once again?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Check the local laws first, in many states and in many places no such license is required for a rabbit. Most jurisdictions require tags for dogs and or cats, and some require for all domestic animals, others may only require dogs and cats or just a list of animals. If you live out of the city limits, it is rare that you need a license.
But better than contacting the city, who might send out somebody to look around (as Richard has forwarned) contact a local vet. They will be in the know.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
Mike,

In my personal experience, I have owned over 25 healthy rabbits with distinct personalities and never had to give any of them shots. The oldest rabbit survived to be over 12 years old. As long as you take good care of your pet you will be alright. If I were you, I would not let anyone handle or pet your rabbit during a performance.

Listen to the guys here, avoid the city and ask your vet first.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Good point jcmagicman. I just recently took all of my doves to the vet for a yearly health inspection (wasn't cheap either!!), but with all the new laws being enforced with having animals in public performances due to the petting zoo incidents recently, it had to be done. Especially for dove performers. We are required to carry a certificate of health with all public performances dealing with live animals, or the fine is pretty steep! While the Vet handles all of the regular checkups, the Certificate is filed with the state. While they won't make too many stops by your residence just to check-up on you, if by chance, one of your rabbits gets out and goes through the neighbors garden, you could have some serious issues then because the state has every right now to continually make sure you are doing the right thing. Check with your state laws, though, because every place is different. Here in the part of the south where I am located, you MUST have a certificate of health registered with the state to cross state lines with an animal (dog, cat, birds,etc...). While it is not enforced, it is better to be safe than sorry. This information I was told by the Vet.

-Alpha
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5178 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
This has been discussed before but here's an exerpt from the Aphis web site

Quote:
Animal Performances: Any owner exhibiting animals doing tricks or shows must be licensed.
This includes each person owning animals performing in circuses, marine mammal shows,
amusement parks, carnivals, independent animal acts, television shows, movies, or educational
exhibits. All animals must receive the same quality of housing and other care, regardless of
whether they are currently performing

The site specifically mentions rabbits.

I would agree with Richard, however. Keep it quiet as long as you can to avoid all the hassles. I've had my rabbits now for 8 years and my birds for over 30 and have not run into any problems yet.
Where the magic begins
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
515 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Thanks everyone that has help me with this.
Mike
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
What's next? If you find a house fly in your residence, they'll probably want you to get a permit for that, too! "Swat!" That solves that problem.

Can we just fire government officials and start a new government? LOL
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5178 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Alan, if it were up to my old boss, we would need a permit for house flys. To her, killing a fly would be a capital offense. Need I say that she was a little over the top Smile
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hmm....Fly manipulation! Great idea! LOL anyone make a Fly Harness?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5178 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Tough to do the fly back though. Pun intended.
Where the magic begins
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
According to my USDA inspector, she say's that it's in the works to require USDA exhibitor permits on birds within the next few years.
jcmazzolado
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of jcmazzolado
Sorry Richard I would have to disagree.
Why the fuss with getting a permit. If you ahve it and they come to inspect so be it, let them waste their time and "our" money.
I read the article in Kidabra - it would be pretty unprofessional to have an inspector show up at a show and you not have a permit.

Would you perform without liability insurance and take a chance on getting sued?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I understand what you are saying. ..But once they get a hold of your name you are done. They will be after you for ever.

What I am saying is take care of your animals. If you need to have them tested, do so and keep copies of the papers. Then if they come to inspect you, you can plead ignorance and have some backup to prove you have been diligent in caring for your animals.

As a former 4-H kid who raised rabbits, sheep, goats and cattle, I know the testing that is required by the state to show an animal at a county fair. The rest of this is simply another way for the do gooders and goverment to stick their noses into things they should. It started with PETA. They have harassed the circus for years. It is now a major battle in every state in the union to show an elephant. This is another step in the same direction.

It seems to me that the goverment would have more important things to do.

I think the one person's suggestion about not letting people touch the animals is a prudent one also.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5178 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I agree with Richard. I use my animals all the time and have never tried to get a certificate or license for any of them. I keep documents from the vet each time I take them which is at least once a year. I don't want to be subject to spontaneous inspections and regulations imposed by over zealous animal rights people. My cages and housing areas are always clean and if I'm ever challenged, I have medical records available.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Dave, you have it right. A Vet checkup every year is what is recommended. While a certificate is only good for 30 days (which is $80.00 by the way), the medical checkup is more important, and as long as you have the paperwork with you, then you would encounter no problems if the situation was to arise. The certificate is basically a way of "following proper steps", but a Vet check is also good. There is less/no hassle when you at least have those. Besides that, its good to do a yearly check anyhow. They check stool samples for parasites, and throughly inspect the doves to make sure they are healthy. I would rather know that I have healthy doves around the house too, so its good for both the doves and myself.
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Here is some information that I got in a newsletter from the SSMA
(Southwest Spanish Mustang Association) that I am a member of, I did not write this but thought the information might be well to pass along, this was in the Fall 2006 newsletter.
Seeing this thread is about license,
Owln

FEDERAL I.D. NUMBERS FOR CHICKENS?
S.S # FOR YOUR HORSE?
What if you lost the freedom to own a horse?

What if you could be fined, have your horse taken from you, or even go to jail for not registering your farm pony? What if you owned a Chicken, goat, pig, sheep, rabbit, horse, or cow meant that to:
Register your farm with the government.
Acquire a national I.D. number for each animal
Pay to do these things,
Or else, be in violation of federal government law?
Oh, yeah, if you take your horse somewhere for a trail ride, you will have to report it to the government.

But they’re not forcing anything, right? Isn’t this a purely voluntary system?
For now. By January 2008, though, if you’ve got an animal or farm, it better be registered or you’ll be BREAKING THE LAW IF YOU OWN EVEN ONE UNREGISTERED CHICKEN. WHY?
Their excuse is “disease prevention.” The NAIS aims to track every animal to “maintain the health of the national herd.” What “national herd?” What diseases?

There has been no Foot and Mouth Disease in the US for 70 years.
BSE (Mad Cow Disease ) has never been diagnosed in humans in the United States. BSE will be eradicated in this country within the next 15 years, without NAIS.
Scrapie cannot be transmitted to humans.

The truth is that the NAIS ( National Animal Identification System ) isn’t about preventing or controlling disease, it is about big corporate farms getting the government to protect them. From What? Lawsuits. If those farms can track the animals in their system, they’ll be able to protect themselves from lawsuits.

=======================================

NAIS- COMMINGLING CONFUSION
USDA May Cause Trouble for Livestock Breeders
By: Darol Dickenson

The National Animal Identification System, planned by the USDA for many years, is now the most serious issue in history for livestock producers. The soon to be mandatory procedures require cattle, horses, Llamas, and ALL animals to have an identification number placed in the ear, or some species may have a computer chip injected under the skin.
The USDA has been presenting this Massive undertaking at special listening sessions in nearly every county in the U.S.A. Livestock producers are being encouraged to sign up their ranches, fairgrounds, auction, dairies, farms, and even backyard 4-H projects, or face fines up to $1,000.00 for non compliance.
The USDA web site is
www.animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/index.shtml

Although many animal owners refuse to believe the outlandish demands exacted by the USDA, everyone is urged to read from the actual site to understand the truly atrocious requirements.
The federal government is trampling over state rights to reach a 100% animal numbering system to be computer accessed by them. They want to immediately locate and quarantine as many livestock as they desire to depose of, or destroy, if found to be exposed to a number of known, unknown or suspected disease.
Complicated? Yes, It is!
For consideration of cost, a Kansas State University spreadsheet projected $3.43 per head with a herd size 1,250 for one tag, one year. To amortize the cost to fit average sized herds, the cost would be $13.22 each for 125 head,$24.10 each for 62 head, $70.89 each for 20 head and $138.88 each for a 10 head herd. The USDA has refused to project cost in their data.

Commingling will be the most confusion of the entire NAIS dream. If several thousand animals were gathered major state fair and then separated to other fairs, sales, shows, feed lots, zoos, etc… The "commingling coefficient" will be mind-boggling. With the NAIS plan, these groups could have one diseased animal and it would not only require the quarantine of the original herd, but every animal commingled and associated with a commingling event multiplied by the numbers that were commingled. With a few shows, rodeos, and fairs, millions of horses, cattle, and exhibit quality stock all be under the same government choke hold. This is all part of the NAIS protocol of enforcement possibilities.
Registered cattle producers will be forced to record all cattle movement by computer, even for a single show on a day. Many believe this new burden of bureaucracy will totally eliminate the smaller livestock shows, rodeos, fairs, gymkhanas, livestock auction, and even FFA or 4-H events.
It will benefit every animal producer to contact the Federal and State Secretary of Agriculture, State Veterinarian, Governor, Senators, State Representatives, etc., and discourage their support and implementation. The assessment fees, penalties and complications of the program far outweigh any possible benefit, more information visit these sites web: http://www.NoNais.org
http://www.stopanimalid.org or http://www.rcalfusa.com
jcmazzolado
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of jcmazzolado
Ok - I stand corrected.
I guess I was used to having to get permits bcak when I did cruise ship work.
I certainly agree to the Vet certificate and medical records.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » License for your rabbit (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL