The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Bar Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
There's a great deal of information about how to land a job at a restaurant, along with several different theories on the best approach. There are also a lot of great resources on performing in bars, and how to structure your act. However, to the best of my knowledge, there's very little in the way of how to go about getting a job as a bar magician (as I'm sure there's a different process than being a restaurant magician)

I've tried searching the Café, but the two minute limit has slowed me finding a response that way.

For those of you that have done it, what's the best way to go about pitching to a bar?
chan316
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of chan316
Hi there Josh

The bar work I get, uses a pitch I discovered one night while out drinking with some friends. I started performing for them, and it soon caught on, and I ended up performing for pretty much everyone in the place, and it got me regular bookings there. So that's what I do now.

I go to the bar with a few friends, and I always get the first round so I can do a billswitch effect for the bar staff. The I start performing for people where the manager will see. He see's there reactions, and then the next time I go to the bar, I'll show him some magic too, and eventually he will ask if you do it professionally, so you hand him a business card, and offer him some ideas, 'your pitch' as it were.

This is just what I do personally, and it works about 90% of the time. Plus its pretty easy, at the end of the day, your just out having a laugh with a few friends, and performing magic, which is what you'd be doing anyway, so may as well do that bit extra to try and land a gig.
Plus, pretty much all the work I've had over the past year, (weddings, private parties ect...) have all come from people seeing me perform in a bar. So its great networking, and its landed me with a couple of residencies.

Chan
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Thanks for the reply Chan. There was a watering hole I went to fairly regularly after finishing a night at my old restaurant. I did pretty much what you said, perform for the staff and patrons. The response was enthusiastic, but it never gathered enough momentum, not the right place I guess. I'll have to keep it up then.

Josh
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You have to look at things from the bar perspective Josh.

Ambush a busy staff with impromptu tricks, does not show much "bar sense" to the manager. Often you WILL get them looking at you, and not in a good way.

I always see guys claim it works "90%" of the time. Well how many times do you have to do it if you have all the residences? It is a confusing claim at best.

Josh, this is just an opinion and feel free to PM me about it, but if you want to be treated as a pro and thought of as a pro, don't you think you should act like one? This is not the most popular opinion so just send me a PM we can chat some where feathers don't get ruffled.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Most bars serve food and most restaurants have bars. So there really isn't much difference if your going to work the room. If your goal is to work behind the bar then I would definitely learn to be a competent bartender first. My first job was as a bartender. I only did magic when it was slow. If you think you are going to jump behind the bar and just do magic somewhere with out having any bar tending experience you will be in for a big surprise. Unless its a bar that doesn't get many customers you will find most bars are run like a machine and you need to know how it works otherwise you will just be in the way. When most bartenders are behind the bar it's their bar and they don't want anyone bothering them. So you will have to not only win over the owner but also the bartenders you will be working with. This is why its a good idea to get hired and work just as a bartender first until you feel comfortable behind the bar and have worked with other bartenders. Then start incorporating your magic. Even if you are hired as a magician if you work behind the bar you will still be doing bar tending work now and then. Wiping down the bar, clearing dirty glasses and dishes. Maybe filling some quick drink orders if the bartender is busy, all sorts of odds and ends. I have a bartender I work with and she takes care of most of the bar tending but I do do the bar tending when she takes a break. If your goal is to work behind the bar its best to work your way into it. Maybe do magic in the restaurant part of the bar on a certain night and bar tend on a certain night . Then slowly incorporate your magic behind the bar.

Good luck! Bars are a great place to do magic.

, Jonathan
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Look for a bar where the patrons change time to time rather than just regulars. If you have the same crowd all the time you have to grind through a lot of material.
chan316
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of chan316
There a little bit ruffled over here Danny.

Your right, it's not good common sense to ambush busy bar staff. Which is why you have to pick your moments when doing it.

For me personally it has worked 90% of the time. I've gained many gigs from the people who have saw me perform in pubs. I met one of the managers of a huge pub chain, and now work for them. Worked for me.

Or maybe its just right place, right time.

Chan
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mr. Chan, how many bars have you worked at? 90% needs to be measured against something but then again if you have worked at 9 bars out of ten approached why is it you are working so many bars? If you worked a couple joints and tried to get work at three that is different....also it isn't 90%. What say ye senor?
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
I wouldn't recommend becoming a bartender in order to perform magic at a bar. You will spend little to no time at all actually doing magic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-02-17 14:54, MagicSanta wrote:
Mr. Chan, how many bars have you worked at? 90% needs to be measured against something but then again if you have worked at 9 bars out of ten approached why is it you are working so many bars? If you worked a couple joints and tried to get work at three that is different....also it isn't 90%. What say ye senor?

Which makes my poit Santa thank you.

90% of what? It needs to be quantified, and usually is not. So please Chan quantify it or remove it. Because people will take you seriously if you don't.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Sometimes things just happen by a fluke too. I was reading about the story of Doc Eason, Bob Sheets and the history of the Magic Bar at the Tower. Sometimes it's just chemistry and a right fit. I think Doc was hired as a bartender and worked side by side with Bob.
It reads "Just ask Doc Eason. Eason knew nothing about magic when he strolled into the Tower for the first time.He and a chum had ridden from California to Snowmass on their motorcycles. It was going to be a week vacation to visit some friends. They knew some of the boys at the Tower, so they stopped in to say hello and quaff a beer. Sheets was working the bar that evening, and Doc describes it as "…a night that changed my life forever." (from doceason.com)
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The Tower is a perfect situation for a magic bar. Every few days a new batch of skiers show up, they tend to have a few bucks on them and tourist tip better than regulars will. Where I live there is nothing with in an hour that is like that, we have bars with hardcore regulars in them and virtually no tourist trade. Reno has the tourist but they are distracted by gambling, in Snowmass at night what'cha going to do? Drink!

Mr. Chan, just to let you know I'm not questioning the value of your statement just that saying 90% is an exact percentage and would indicate a great number of attempts and successes to achieve the population needed for that statistics. Mr. Kam gave solid advice, learn to tend bar then if you can work yourself in fine or work the floor. When I did magic at a bar it was at private parties, never public joints, and the main job was pouring booze. Magic was done only when there was time and it never was allowed to delay a pour.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The absolute toughest part about a magic bar VS magic restaurant work is the regulars.

While reasturants do have regulars, it is far more common for bars to have them and for them to be back far more often. A tourist area is best for magic bars to be sure.

And Mr. Chan, I was not trying to ruffle you at all. Quite the contrary. But when you do put statistics up such as 90%, it does require some verification in my eyes.

If you have done it a large number of times and have an adequate sampling, then that is one thing. But it also begs the question why you have to keep doing it anyhow. Why don't these gigs last long for you? That alone is a strike against the approach if you ask me.

If you have only done it 2 or 3 times and it usually works, it is not a good enough sampling to really say with any amount of certainty that it happens regularly.

Don't be ruffled, it is not our intent. At least not mine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Me either, I'm just a statistical process control type of guy.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Doc Eason made it look easy and glamerous. He worked hard to get it to look like that. At first, he was the ONLY bartender and coudln't be doing tricks while the restaurant staff waited for drinks. He worked his butt off to get an extra bartender and then worked as a team.

And..it's HARD work without the magic.

Table hoppers come in, work 2-3 hrs. and go home. Bartenders work long shifts, stock, clean up, re-stock. They do this over and over and over all shift long.

Chan, when you say "performing in a bar" what do mean? Are you working as a bartender? I ask because if you use this technique of yours and it works "90%" of the time, how often are you changing jobs and why? I'm just curious.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I believe what Chan is describing is more a 'phase' rather than a serious approach into the 'serious' Art of Bar Magic.

Hey,either you are out to party and have a great time..or you are out to land a 'steady' gig...at a Bar or Restaurant or a combo of both.Of course you may land a private gig or two from some 'relaxed' guests...but to seriously impress any manager/owner worth his/her salt..booze and business DO NOT MIX.Who in there right mind is going to pay you their good money on a steady basis...if you come off as a party boy...rather than a serious entertainer.You know the answer.

Let me say this:I have 'been there done that' many years ago.It is a great feeling of exhiliration..to have a couple of 'belts' and entertain the crowd.
I surely have nothing against cocktails while partying...but if you expect to get paid..it's all biz and no booze...PERIOD![plenty of time after a gig if you wish]

My point is..if you want to go beyond the foggy acceptance and enjoyment of some cool magic tricks...and become a Real 'Bar Magician'...you have to...as has been stated learn the Bartending business[Kamm],and get a firm grip on the fact that..this is not 'Party Time..This is 'Take Care of Business Time'.

There is a big difference.

Rich

A.E.R.P.W.N.C.L.B.C.
chan316
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of chan316
Hello all

Thank you for questioning the statistics of my approach. I'd be disapointed if you didn't, if you are to take my advise on board. At least I know I can have a decent chat with Professionals!

I've done this approach around 40 times maybe. Most of the time it hasn't been planned, I've just been out with friends and decided to do it. It has landed me gigs with most of the places, and I've been called back to perform more than once there.

You also have to realise the pubs over here never have the same thing going off every week, and don't always have an act perform each week (with the exception of a DJ), and the main acts they book are bands. Obviously because music goes well with a bar. But everytime they feel like something different, I get a call.

One pub I work for is relatively new and they only open for functions, so I'm booked to perform there each time theres a function to help promote them.
Another place is a club, and I perform there once a month. The major pub chain I mention is helping them with promotions (using magic). Another place is a string of social clubs. They regularly book different acts (bands, hpnotists ect...) and when they want a magician, they call me.
And as I mention before, when your performing for a variety of different people, that's where the bookings for weddings, private parties ect.. come in.

So the work I get may not be 3 times a week, but I love my art and don't wanna stop until I'm performing everyday.

Chan
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you have worked at about 30 different pubs? For just one time?

This does not seem to me as if you "landed" anything. Thanks for clarifying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Chan, how many pubs do you currently perform at on a regular (weekly) basis?
chan316
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of chan316
Hi there So Cal

I do 7 bars per month. 1 weekly, and 3 monthly.

So to clarify its "landed" me some pretty decent work and business contacts.

On a side note, I don't drink alcohol. Oh and I know a thing or two about pubs, seen as my full time job is as a duty manager for one.

At the end of the day, what I do works for me. Magicians don't pay my wages so it makes no difference to me what techniques anyone uses. What matters, is what works for me.

Chan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Bar Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL