The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Razor Blade Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I have Tim's lecture notes. I highly reccomend them! A must if you're planning on doing the blades. All can be used to cut paper or what have you. And it is a really great presentation!

D_Z
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
Tim, that is exactly the way I prepare the blades.
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I stand by dental floss. This is my signature effect, and I've never had it break. Dental floss is nearly impossible to break ... you could rappel with the stuff.

Your wrapping method is interesting though, Tim. I'm going to give that a try ... I'll report back.

My method is not %100 safe, but it is 100% strong, and I've NEVER been injured. Each blade is tested individually, shown that it cuts paper and put cleanly in the mouth ... no hinky devices or clumsy switches.

Dulling blades is very simple, just take a sharpening steel and run the blade perpendicular to it a couple of times ... it takes a couple of seconds.

--Zack

Just tried Tim's suggestion of wrapping the blades in the thread. It works very well! Thanks Tim!

There is a slight drawback in that the blades spin around in your mouth, which presents a danger of somebody catching a glimpse of the load as its coming out. Or having the load fall out.

It's also much slower than my accordion pleat method. The big advantage of it is that they stay together in a nice package, with no chance of getting loose.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Where is a good place to buy this trick?
Thanks Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Ronjo has the platform illusion as well as a cheaper vest pocket model that sell for under $10!
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Why must we buy illusions? As I have always tried to do, go ungaffed! It makes life fun and interesting!
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
I'm wondering if anyone has bought the Automatic Razor Blades sold on Hocus-Pocus. I would be interested to get a review of it.

Thanks

Johnny
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Has anyone noticed that neither threading needles nor razor blades are sideshow stunts? We eat 'em for real! <G>
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
Hi, Johnny.

Although I don't have "the Automatic Razor Blades sold on Hocus Pocus," based on the photo I do have a similar item called "Dave Powell's Razor Blade Illusion." It uses six rather than eight blades. I'm going to assume it works the same way since they look so much alike.

Without giving away the method, it works as easily as the hand-held system...probably more easy, although I was never caught with the wallet version. Even so, I'm going to make a small alteration to my unit (which I think is more attractice than the Hocus Pocus one).

There is a small dowel which is the basis for the gimmick. I think it will work more easily if I get a small piece of metal tubing and place it over the dowel. I think it should move even more smoothly. Right now the directions read:

Quote:
...do not press down...too hard or...[the gimmick] might snag...Instead finesse [something ;-) ] down by moving [something] back and forth slightly with your thumb. The change I suggest should eliminate the problem.

A question: I've seen Marvin Roy (Mr. Electric) do this with lightbulbs. Curiously, he produces far more bulbs than he "swallows." Yet, I've never seen anyone complain. Rather, they just wonder where all those bulbs came from.

I wonder, what would people think if I produced far more blades than I swallowed?

BTW, to those of you who do this trick: remember to wash the blades after performing and dry them thoroughly. Rusty blades make this trick even more dangerous!
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
Where do you all find the vest pocket versions or the wallet versions of this trick? I've been looking but all I can find is the stage version??
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
Here are two URLs for the trick at Magic City and Hank Lee. Caveat Emptor.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Did I detect a post or two wherein the performer was using real (and sharp) blades?

ARE YOU NUTS? The audience is never going to know that the blades are not sharp, especially after you show them sharp. There are many methods of doing the dirty work, and all are effective, all are good.

Purchasing is subject to the whims of the performer: style of display, methods of getting into and out of it, cleanliness of the 'method'.

And just a word to the lurking magicians-to-be who want to impress with a dangerous trick: NEVER work with a method in which sharp blades go into the mouth. It's just not necessary. It's easier to gaff it, and your magishing can go into the acting/presentation part of the performance.

Remember, bleeding all over the Birthday Kid's carpet may be a memorable finale, but it is not a magic trick. They'll all know how you did it!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6447 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I did this many, many, many years ago and it was because of the problem of things tangling up that I stopped going through all the pain to get it set up. If you think you have a problem with a few, try 40 razor blades on a thread.

I did it to music: 39 Lashes from Jesus Christ Superstar. If you know the song you can see how it fits when I scream out FORTY as the last one comes out.

I'm never going through that again. By the way, don't be insane, dull all your blades so there's no chance of getting cut.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Do audiences still recognise razor blades as a common object?

Most people seem to use electric, disposable or cartridge razors nowadays. Does this fact detract from the impact of the effect?
Are there any alternatives? Needles were the original version, but they aren't as large and visual as razor blades.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6447 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I think most people recognize what a razor blade does and how dangerous it can be, so don't worry about it being a bit ancient of a cutting device.

Greg

If you want to think dangerous... I once thought it would be cool to use fish hooks instead. Everyone knows how dangerous those things are, and we've all seen them tied to fishing lines, so...

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Houdini did the needles in side shows before 1900.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
kaos
View Profile
New user
UK
58 Posts

Profile of kaos
There is an ungaffed version of the razor blade trick in Swami/Mantra
but I can't make any sense of it.
does anyone know where I can learn an ungaffed version?

Thanks for your help!
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Do you mean Doc Mahandra? His needle routin is reprinted in "Strange Secrets Vol. 2" availabule from Abbotts. The classic versions are in Tarbell Vol4,and "Classic Secrets of Magic" by Bruce Elliot.A safe no switch needle trick is in "The Charlatan's Handbook" by Sid Flashman,L&L.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
"Classic Secrets of Magic" by Bruce Elliot

I face up- as if to make a straight line from my stomach and I find that gives me time hanging in my mouth for tangles-is that vague eneough - too vauge?
drink water...
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
Guys2..for these last couple of days, I've been looking for god sources to learn this trick...can you guys tell me, as many source as you guys can for this trick...and also, please tell me which source you guys think is the best one.

Anyone happened to know any other good source for this kind of shocking magic, beside Andrew Wayne's Shock FX.

Thank you guys..Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Razor Blade Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL