The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Free Books: 2nd hand vs. piracy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I love a good gamble, something I do since using this place - if I like the person's posts, and I think they are a good lad, then if I spot some of their work - I'll take a gamble...

I've been surprisingly un-stung on the whole (matron!), and the last glut of mentalism physical books I bought were jon riggs stuff and some jack kent tillar..so I'm more than happy with those...

but mainly, I've been pretty darned happy with my ebook purchases...dream signs was the last one I got...smart work in there...

would you ever consider releasing any effects kriskraze?
I've asked to be banned
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Quote:
would you ever consider releasing any effects kriskraze?

You can never say never. I've got no plans to though.

As for ebooks... I'm actually quite a fan. I travel a lot, so I'd rather take reading material on my laptop than lug books around. I just wish that every book was supplied in dual format so I can read whilst travelling AND whilst taking a long sit in the ceramic room.

I bought Vincent's drawing dupe ebook. It was worth the money. The method was nice. I didn't care too much for the presentation or subtleties but it lived up to the claims made in it's marketing. I can't ask for more than that. I don't think I'll get much out of re-reading it. But I did learn from it. Even if I'm not actively using the method - it feels unethical to sell it now I've finished with it. It would feel equally unethical to pass it on had it been in physical form.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I empathize with sentiment, and personally practice it, but the idea put forth of the finality of a purchase is actually illegal. The law grants the purchaser the right to sell real property books, and in return it grants the author protections from duplications which would dillute his income capacity.

To the point of not being able to return secrets, that has not been my experience. Many secrets fade from memory from lack of use.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I believe the second hand selling of books is legal right? Nothing in the law as far as what you actually retain from the book right?

So why are we debating the notion?

As for copying it, well this is against the law right? So again why is there a debate?

I just don't understand how this becomes an ethical debate.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Because laws and ethics are different things, this is why they get discussed.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
On that note, would it be possible to link the sale of a book with the condition not to resell it?
Cards never lie
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
The original purchasers of "Magic of Robert Harbin" had to sign an agreement that stated, in part, that the purchaser would not resell the book for two years. I don't know if that is legally binding or not, but since there were only 500 copies printed Harbin would have been hard pressed to claim he'd been damaged if someone sold their copy before the end of the two year moratorium--he wasn't intending to sell more than the 500 copies he'd already sold.

I'm fairly certain that even if one agreed to not resell a book and signed an agreement to that effect, it wouldn't be legally binding. However, it may be possible to restrict to whom the purchaser may resell the book. The Motion Picture Academy has done just that with respect to its Academy Awards. But that doesn't solve the "already gotten the secret" problem, so we're back to the legal vs. ethical argument.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-02-19 17:44, Tom Cutts wrote:
Because laws and ethics are different things, this is why they get discussed.

Explain the difference to those of us who don't know please Tom.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Gee thanks for the info Tom.

Now, who is the person that determines the ethics for everyone?
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Which was what I was trying to get Tom to answer in the first place, thanks oh Evil one.

I for one was hoping Tom would enlighten us as he seemed to have the answer at the tip of his tongue and all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Just trying to help Danny out. I think you'll find if you ask the actual question you want answered, you will have a better chance of getting an answer to that question... but not always, granted.

As to Dan's question I believe he knows the answer is Gene Poinc.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow Tom was that sarcasam?

Actually Tom I DID ask the question I wanted you to answer. I spacifically asked YOU to EXPLAIN the difference right?

I did very spacifically ask this and you simply posted some definitions and in no way explained anything.

But as you said even when you are spacific, it is not always answered now is it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
No sarcasm Danny, sorry if my bluntness was construed as such. I answered your actual question. Specifically, in your response to my post that there is a difference between law and ethics you posted:
"Explain the difference..."

And so I provided an impartial source where one could read the difference. A difference I believe in. Sorry if that was not clear and inherent in the fact that I provided the resource. In the definitions the differences you asked about should be clear.

Now Dan’s question was quite different from yours.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thanks for letting us know you can't answer the question Tom LOL.

Sorry if my bluntness comes out as sarcasam. Have to remind myself of that one in the future.

The point is Tom it is pointless to discuss such things, when nobody knows what they are talking about in the first place. All you end up with is a bunch of useless platitudes and guys who post links to definitions. NO SUBSTANCE though.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Didn't let anyone know I couldn't answer the question. I just chose not to as my definition is, by nature, going to be biased toward my personal take. I do allow for people to have their own take on the issue and as such they should be working from a non biased foundation if they need or desire to get one. Ease up on the throttle there Danny. You are jumping to conclusions which are unfounded.

As JT has so oft made point: first set forth the language Hence, the need to clarify what laws are and what ethics are. And hence, an unbiased source was quoted when asked for.

I agree that until we agree on the language we are not having a very productive discussion. It appeared to me that your post:

Quote:
I believe the second hand selling of books is legal right? Nothing in the law as far as what you actually retain from the book right?

As for copying it, well this is against the law right? So again why is there a debate?

...was exemplary of the confusion that law and ethics are the same thing and cover the same ground. They do not and that is why one would discuss an ethic which goes beyond the law.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Where ethics lead from from "should" to "might", laws go from "shall" to "or else".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-02-21 13:36, Tom Cutts wrote:
Didn't let anyone know I couldn't answer the question. I just chose not to as my definition is, by nature, going to be biased toward my personal take. I do allow for people to have their own take on the issue and as such they should be working from a non biased foundation if they need or desire to get one. Ease up on the throttle there Danny. You are jumping to conclusions which are unfounded.

As JT has so oft made point: first set forth the language Hence, the need to clarify what laws are and what ethics are. And hence, an unbiased source was quoted when asked for.

I agree that until we agree on the language we are not having a very productive discussion. It appeared to me that your post:

Quote:

...was exemplary of the confusion that law and ethics are the same thing and cover the same ground. They do not and that is why one would discuss an ethic which goes beyond the law.

Things are not always what they "appear" Tom as this is YOUR PERSONAL TAKE on the situation, which you so strenuously try to aviod I thought.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
As far as I'm concerned, the only definition of the word ethics that is relevant here is the definition in the Merriam Webster dictionary that refers to ethics being the rules set by those in a profession. There is no perfect consensus in any group, so professional organizations set the ethics that I use.

Item 3 in the S.A.M. ethics statement is:
Quote:
3) Recognize and respect for rights of the creators, inventors, authors, and owners of magic concepts, presentations, effects and literature, and their rights to have exclusive use of, or to grant permission for the use by others of such creations.

The I.B.M. has a similar statement, and I suspect the Magic Circle does too.

What is meant by "recognition and respect" is sometimes open to debate. Enforcement can be an issue too. Still, it's good that this is stated.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Since I don't belong to any of those groups at the moment, I suppose I'm free to do as I please.

But...getting back to statement 3, since this is legaleeze, I'm sure it's up to interpretation. I don't see anywhere in that statement where you can't sell a used book. Nor do I see where it's unethical to buy a second hand book.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Free Books: 2nd hand vs. piracy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL