The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Bob Longe books (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On 2008-08-19 16:39, tltq wrote:
Here is some information about Little Giant Book of Card Tricks and Giant Book of
Card Tricks

I have a copy of Giant Book of Cards Tricks that is combined with another book called Giant book of Card Games....the copyright year is 1998

I also have another copy of Giant Book of Cards Tricks with 79 tricks in it and then the complete book Clever Card Tricks for the Hopelessly Clumsy. Every trick from World's Best Card Tricks is among the first 79 tricks....copyright year is 2003

In the book with the 2003 copyright the tricks come from four books: Great Card Tricks, World's Greatest Card Tricks, World's Best Card Tricks, Clever Cards Tricks for the Hopelessly Clumsy. Every trick from the last two titles are included.

The book with the 1998 copyright include the same tricks as the 2003 book but don't include Clever Card Tricks for the Hopelessly Clumsy. So the tricks in that book come from 3 books.

Little Giant Book of Card Tricks is not a compilation

Does anyone know where I can see the contents of Great Card Tricks and World's Greatest Card Tricks to see what's missing from Giant Book of Cards Tricks?

thanks
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
I managed to get copies of Great Card Tricks and World's Greatest Card Tricks.
More than half of the tricks in Great Card Tricks are not in the Giant Book. About half of the ones in World's Greatest Card Tricks are not in the Giant Book. All the sleights from Great Card Tricks and all but 2 from World's Greatest Card Tricks are in the Giant Book.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
The book simply titled Card Tricks, which is a "Little Giant Book" (aka The Little Giant Book of Card Tricks), has a gem in it called Tricky Triple Prediction, on page 165. Like all Bob Longe books, this one is well worth seeking out. Also, in Card Tricks Galore, I really like A Real Find, on page 20. Another great one: in 101 Amazing Card Tricks, Impossible Prediction, on page 21, which is the same trick as Two for One: Part Two, on page 274 of Giant Book of Card Tricks.
danhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign, IL
115 Posts

Profile of danhughes
I have a small hardback book (256 pages) called SLEIGHT OF HAND - 106 AMAZING CARD & COIN TRICKS, by Bob Longe, Sheila Anne Barry, William A. Moss, Alfred Sheinwold,David Knowles and Charles Barry Townsend. Copyright 2003 by Sterling Publishing Company.

It has tricks from several of Longe's previous books, and also chapters on knife tricks, paper tricks, and rope tricks.

You can buy it at Amazon for 97 cents new or 1 cent used! (But shipping is probably $4). It's here:
http://tinyurl.com/ccejmu4
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
433 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Bob Longe's original book on the "Invisible Deck" (his version that uses an ordinary deck, not the dealer item) is now available from Lybrary.com as an e-book.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
There are some gems from Nick Trost in the Bob Longe books:

Trosts's Jacks are Wild: part of the routine is Jazzy Jacks in Little Giant Book of Card Tricks

7 Card Count: One Too Many in 101 Amazing Card Tricks

Ambitious Ace, Deuce, and Trey: Ambitious Ace in Great Card Tricks

A Premonition: Blind Chance in World's Greatest Card Tricks

Ace Stop: Cutting the Aces in Easy Card Tricks

Red or Black - Which?: Psychic Test in Mystifying Card Tricks

The Gathering of the Court Cards: Shifting Faces in Easy Card Tricks

Not sure of Nick Trost Trick name: The Disappearing Card in 101 Amazing Card Tricks

Not sure of Nick Trost Trick name: Three Card Coincidence in Mystifying Card Tricks

Also, some Harry Lorayne gems:

Lorayne's One-eyed Jacks: Jacks Be Nimble in 101 Amazing Card Tricks

Lazy Man's Card Trick: It's in Your Hands in Easy Card Tricks
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8331 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I'm hearing more and more about my items appearing in Bob Longe books. I don't recall him ever asking my permission. Does he at least credit me properly? HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Hi Harry,

For One-eyed Jacks (which Longe calls Jacks Be Nimble in 101 Amazing Card Tricks), he doesn't mention your name. For Lazy Man's Card Trick (It's in Your Hands in Easy Card Tricks), he says that you suggested the procedure of having the spectator place his hand on the deck and push down to make his card come up closer to the top.

Those are the only 2 tricks I have found of yours in Bob Longe books.

Regards,

Walter
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8331 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Lovely. Thanks, Walter. Harry L.

pnerd
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of pnerd
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2008, trickytrav wrote:
OK I've fished out my Bob Longe book Giant Book of Card Tricks and the notes I keep with it....I cant wait to try out the outrageous three phase oil and water routine that is just about self working.

Does Longe's version use the g**de move? There's an almost self-working version of Oil and Water in "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" which uses that move. I wonder if Longe's version is similar.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
I realize the original post was posted ages ago but I'll throw in my two cents anyway. I found all of Longe's books worth the money except for "Mystifying Card Tricks." In that one I found all of three tricks I had any interest in performing, and he did his best to ruin one of them when he wrapped it up with "They will probably be equally astounded if you use this conclusion..." and then provides the most boring, take-a-crap-on-a-cake conclusion imaginable when the original conclusion stood by itself just fine.

For anyone interested in giving the Longe books a shot, I'd recommend just getting "World's Best Card Tricks" and seeing if you like it before getting any others. The title is pushing it a bit, but the selection is pretty good for the price. It includes versions of OOTW, Gemini Twins and Get Thee Behind Me Satan. Remember that these books are inexpensive, so you're not going to get the same cover-to-cover quality of offerings by Aronson, Lorayne and others whose books are on a much higher level. You'll fool a lot of laymen with the Longe book I recommend, but you probably won't fool too many people here. And for low-priced books, I believe Scarne on Card Tricks and the works of Karl Fulves beat anything Longe ever wrote. My opinion only, of course.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
The Bob Longe books are excellent stepping stones to more difficult tricks, since he includes some basic sleights that are relatively easy to do. His books also include tricks by Nick Trost and Harry Lorayne, although he does not always give proper credit.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8331 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Nor does he ask permission.

Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
433 Posts

Profile of Hushai
In Bob Longe's book "World's Best Card Tricks," are the tricks called "Tricky Transpo" and "Quaint Coincidence" examples of the Smith Myth principle? I am still trying to find a concise definition of this principle.
The Darkness
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
7 Posts

Profile of The Darkness
I think that Longe also taught Lorayne's Impromptu Out of this World without any credits. I'm not sure though as it's been a long time since I read Longe's books. So please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I don't own any of them and just borrowed them from the library when I was beginning to learn magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Bob Longe books (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL