The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbit Police??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kazam65
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kazam65
I received the following information from a very credible source in the Magic Community:

Wow oh wow, if you see the December/January, 2008 issue of Kidabra Journal, unbelievable long article about the Rabbit Police! Example after example of magicians getting "nailed" all over the country! If your picture is in the paper with your rabbit, expect someone from the government to show up! The article details how the USDA inspectors are now showing up at MAGIC SHOWS, and if you use a live rabbit, you have to:

*Pay an annual license fee of $30 to $300 depending upon the number of animals used
*Pay the $10 application fee
*Must submit an annual inspection and maintain a current license and keep records on the health of your rabbit
*Live animal stickers must be on the cage, arrow pointing upward on travel cage
*Have a hand washing station if children pet the rabbit. Hand sanitizer is NOT good enough. The rabbit must have as much "off stage" time as "on stage" time (now that is a funny one!).
*You can be fined on the spot, even if you never heard of the law. You cannot show the rabbit until properly licensed (which must be carried at all times), an application alone is not enough.

The inspectors visit "magic shows" they see advertised, looking for violators. If you verbally "abuse" the inspector if they show up and disrupt your program, that is a felony punishable up to a year in jail. There are now 100 field inspectors in the U.S., who seem to enjoy showing up at magic shows now.

Without the permit, you can be fined. Also, USDA can visit your home to see where the "performance" rabbit is being housed and treated. This is done unannounced. So if you break the rabbit's neck and feed it to your pet snake, that is totally legal, no license required.

For full information, this law is enforced by the regional offices of the USDA, Animal Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS). See the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 9, Chapter 1, Subchapter A. Contact your local office by visiting http://www.aphis.usda.gov/acwww.aphis.usda.gov/ac.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I posted this on the KIDabra Forum:

More on the Rabbit Police Patro!...

I am still blown away by the cover story. This will give those who don't use animals a reason to explain why they don't. The article states the law has been in existance since 1966, and just now they are enforcing it. It appears the Rabbit-in-the-Hat puppet will be popular again!

What is unbelieveable is that one can kill them, eat them, skin them, shave them, experiment on them, breed them, sell them,feed them to a pet snake, but one must be licensed to allow children to pet them and love them during a magic show!

The Animal Welfare law can be found here: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/index.shtml

The Animal Welfare even give you the recipe to eat rabbits and make a variety of Rabbit Culinary Delights !

• Wartime Rabbit Casserole
  • Rabbit Salad
  • Rabbit Chop Suey

The only interesting fact is that they are based in NC. Is this a means of justifying their jobs?

Skip way responded with....

Sadly, a couple of children got sick and died from contamination picked up at popular petting zoos at two locations in North Carolina a couple of years ago: The NC State Fair and a mountain county fair. North Carolina government, in typical Good Ol' Boy fashion went overboard with their armchair quarterbacking. As a North Carolinian, I've traded my bunny in for a rubber duckie. Of course, it's just a matter of time before the latex police find me!!
Dennis Michael
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2417 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Solution:

Step 1 - Rabbit production

Step 2 - Remainder of the show (while oven pre-heats and vegetables are chopped)

Step 3 - Birthday dinner featuring the rabbit - possibly the magician's best way to "end clean."

Repeat as necessary ... nothing to see here, Mister Inspector.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
I have been trying to find any mention of rabbits or title 9:1a on the Aphis site and cannot find it. I do find in title 1.1 and 2.1 a mention of "magic/illusion shows" but no mention of rabbits with it. I would think this pertains more to items like the big cats etc. but there is no distinction. Can someone direct us to a more specific area of the site for further info?

"*Pay an annual license fee of $30 to $300 depending upon the number of animals used
*Pay the $10 application fee
*Must submit an annual inspection and maintain a current license and keep records on the health of your rabbit
*Live animal stickers must be on the cage, arrow pointing upward on travel cage
*Have a hand washing station if children pet the rabbit. Hand sanitizer is NOT good enough. The rabbit must have as much "off stage" time as "on stage" time (now that is a funny one!).
*You can be fined on the spot, even if you never heard of the law. You cannot show the rabbit until properly licensed (which must be carried at all times), an application alone is not enough."

Unable to find any of this.
Not saying it's not true or not happening, but it would be nice to find the exact laws and see if there might be a way to fight this or if it is just them flexing muscles they DON"T HAVE and us folding because we don't know any better.
If you just go with the flow without questioning, then you get what you get.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
This first link defines animals regulated under the Animal Welfare Act, specifically including rabbits:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare......_eig.pdf

The next link defines & lists procedures for inspection criteria for performances using regulated animals. This page specifically includes variety acts and magic shows. The various manuals for care and welfare of these animals are listed on this page - you'll have to track them individually for the wherefores and forthwiths:

This link specifically defines Magic Shows using regulated animals as a regulated activity under this law:

God forbid that our government should make a law easy to understand and comply with!! Personally, I believe the serpent in the Garden of Eden was the first lawyer. Most conspicuously, as*es, snakes and rats are not considered regulated animals. Coincidence? I think not!! Smile

Hope this helps!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Skip, I just love your logic, the humor is right on!
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is really sad that it has come down to this. Den brings up a great point that you can basically hunt them, eat hem, etc etc. but you can not perform with them around kids? Crazy if you ask me. First fire laws changed so strict that even a small thing of flash paper in a show is a no-no and now rabbits? What's next? I am fortunate that I no longer use either in my shows and took them both our years ago due to working so much at outside festivals and the like.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Watch me pull a rat out of my hat...hmm actually I do have a friend with 2 pet rats. He tells me that they are regulated...er regular rats..Could be or the lettuce they seem to enjoy eating. For me it is raisin bran cereal.

Back in the 80's I used my pet budgies, but these days my wife and I are married with puppets. (who also helps out in the shows.....the puppets not my nearly normal wife.)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
See, that was my childhood. Our classrooms had rabbits, budgies, canaries, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, turtles, frogs, chameleons, garter snakes, preying mantises and more. My buddies and I used to ride our bikes down to the shore of Lake Erie and catch lake snakes to chase girls (Ah...good times!). We caught crawdads with our bare hands, gigged carp and eels, fed wild fawns from our hands and carried garter snakes in our pockets. All the time we were climbing wild apple, crabapple, mulberry and cherry trees and eating to our hearts' content. We're still here!

Ya let the government slip a little toe into the doorway and sooner or later they'll steal the whole door...then the house...then the lot...then they'll hit you for back taxes!!! And everyone wonders why I'm so strongly opposed to the Patriot Act or anything like it. It all starts with a rabbit...
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
"Back in the 80's I used my pet budgies, but these days my wife and I are married with puppets. (who also helps out in the shows.....the puppets not my nearly normal wife.) "

Make sure you get them puppets registered and licensed ASAP or they will come and when they find out where you stick your hand, you will be in BIG TROUBLE!

By the way, I here that puppets served with russian dressing is absolutely marvelous. Just don't over cook them.

Stop laughing, that's where we are heading. The educated, evolved, elite are distroying this country. Just my opinion.
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
This is very true at least in Florida. I got a call from a inspector. He said he saw my ad with a bunny, and noticed I didn't have a permit. He told me until I got a permit, had the rabbit inspected by a doctor and got a signed slip of paper that the bunny was OK,and he would come to my home to see where I kept the bunny, I was not allowed to use him. Absolutely unbelievable!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I hereby announce the formation of the National Rabbit Association (NRA). We'll elect some big name celebrity to hold a press conference, hold a bunny above his head and proclaim, "You can have my bunny when you pry it from my cold, jobless hands! Is it raining in here?" We'll print pamphlets proclaiming our god-given Constitutional right to hold and pet rabbits! We'll...call the local vet and get our rabbits registered. sigh......

Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2234 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
As I read through this thread, at one point I looked at my calendar believing that it must be April Fool’s Day! Does this have something to with the lunar eclipse tonight? Please tell me this is a joke.

If that’s true, I want them to know I specialize in card tricks. No, that is not rabbit on my shoulder, it is a deck of cards disguised as a rabbit.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The Hare Squad checks yellow page ads, newspaper ads, websites - anything that might have a photo or mention of a rabbit or other regulated livestock...then they pounce! Another child saved from the ravages of petting...well...pets.

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5714 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just sent a tip on this practice to a local television station as a news tip. If more of us did the same, we could probably get these government jerks to back down. They don't want bad publicity.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Or you could work toward changing the law. That's the great thing about living in a constitutional republic. If you don't like the way the government is being run you can work towards changing it.

It's not as hard as it might seem. Especially if you can get publicity behind you and make the bureaucrats look foolish for wasting scarce resources on non issues like regulating magicians producing rabbits out of hats.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
While I do not live in the US, I would be happy to pay a small fee and have regular inspection of my rabbit if it meant the dozens of dodgy magicians who mistreat there rabbits get caught and punished.

I've seen livestock
a) set of fire
b) lifted by ears
c) left in a shoebox in a hot sun all day
d) dropped on it's head until it dies.
3) have heart attacks

I recognise some of those rules are a little silly but it is minor inconvenience to prevent our four legged friends from being mistreated and killed.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
That's true, but my second trick was a lot better recieved.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1092 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2008-02-20 19:56, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
While I do not live in the US, I would be happy to pay a small fee and have regular inspection of my rabbit if it meant the dozens of dodgy magicians who mistreat there rabbits get caught and punished.

I've seen livestock
a) set of fire
b) lifted by ears
c) left in a shoebox in a hot sun all day
d) dropped on it's head until it dies.
3) have heart attacks

I recognise some of those rules are a little silly but it is minor inconvenience to prevent our four legged friends from being mistreated and killed.

I agree that it's a shame that some folks mistreat animals, whether dogs, cats, rabbits, or any other type of helpless creature. However, licensing animals does nothing IMHO to curtail this type of behavior any more than the practice of licensing bicycles does to stop bicycle theft.

I recall as a student my university campus police department requiring all bicycles to have a license with the premise that this would cut down on the number of unsafe bicycles being ridden and the number of bicycle thefts. Failure to do so would result in a fine. Both of my bicycles (licensed) were stolen and never recovered. Talking to a campus officer one day I was enlightened to learn that licensing bikes did nothing to cut down on thefts or increase safety. However, it did increase the revenue for the campus.

Required vaccinations, health checks, etcetera, seem logical to me; but licensing requirements seem more of a ploy to increase revenue for programs other than ones for the protection of animals. Since I already take care of my animals without government interference I see no benefits of licensing my rabbits.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Just when I thought I had seen it all I see all of this!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbit Police??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL