The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Let's Discuss Ourselves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Hi All,

Here is a short question but may result in a long debate/discussion (I don't know?).

Do magicians get fooled by their own magic?

From India with regards,

Cheers!! Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
For me, the moments when I fool myself are the best. Those times when I'm so into the magic, I forget I'm doing a move & I get startled that the card I just layed down has changed or the amount of cards I count off suddenly changes.

I video tape myself practicing sometimes, some of my moves surprise me & others give me something to work on.

I think if you can get to a point where you don't blink, & the moves look so good that you don't see them, you can fool yourself.

I love magic Smile

Smile
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
My wife says I've been fooling myself for years now. Smile Smile Smile Smile

Sorry I couldn't resist, I'm in that kind of mood
He who laughs, lasts.
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
Not really fooling myself but I love it when the book I'm reading talks about a card (say a freely selected card) and it turns out to be the same card I picked randomly.

Scott
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Glad that happens to someone else Scott.
Don't you LOVE that?

Something happened to me once, when I was starting out.
I had two spectators and was doing a little stroll-around magic.
I had a card selected and returned to the deck.
As I was controlling it to the top, I lost it somewhere in my false shuffle.
I half heartedly weaved my way out by muttering something like, "actually, let me try this, why don't YOU [talking to spec 2] select a second card?"
So, the second spec did.
Both of them just about fell over.
They had both selected the four of clubs.
Smile

That was one occasion where I completely fooled myself.

When I am practicing however, or when I am walking an effect through straight from a book with deck in hand for the first time, I commonly fool myself.

Like Ichazod, I love it when you get the moves down so well, they become automatic.
Then you can enjoy the magic and be fooled by it just as much as your spectators are, making it a better experience for all concerned.

Gonz
:carrot: Smile
Hello.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I wish I was still fooled by my own magic. It's hard these days. I've finally gotten to that unfortunate point, where a magician could walk up to me and levitate my house, and I'd just stand there going over methods in my head. It doesn't matter anymore that I don't know how it's done, because I know it must be done somehow.

I do hit those rare moments though, usually when I'm really tired. Sometimes my little brother will blow me away with something I taught him and that will make me feel good.

Ichazod, I really do wish I could stop blinking too. It's one of my toughest habits to break. Funny though, it doesn't seem to matter much since I'm aware that I'm blinking. I think I need to join a Magician's Anonymous group.

"Hello. My name is Sable and I've been a magician too bloody long."

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Hi All,

As on date we have a good 773 members. Do not stop the thread. Keep it going. We all have something to contribute.

Regards.
USTAAD
CHEERS!!
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Can't fool myself much these days.

I'm a Mentalist now...

But I read my mind PERFECTLY EVERY TIME! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I am a juggler for the blind, I never fool myself, but I always fool the blind people.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I love when I'm learning a new move and I fool myself with it when I watch it in the mirror.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I remember doing "Equalizer" by Harry Lorayne straight out of the book, following along with a deck of cards in my hand, and I was 100% sure that there was a typo in the book, or a mistaken or incomplete explanation, or whatever. Absolutely no way in hell the effect could work as described. I could have fallen off my chair when it worked.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
The first trick I ever did was the little colored plastic Cups and Balls. Tom had pre-arranged them and just told me what to do step by step in a shortened routine. I had no idea how the Magic was happening. It remains one of my most Magical memories.

I've seen a lot of Magicians who are only fooling themselves (I have been in that set on occasion).

Magic using The Free Cut Principle and Galbraith Principle can fool me even when I'm doing them.

- Mary Mowder
Happy Hank
View Profile
New user
Winnemucca, NV
34 Posts

Profile of Happy Hank
I gave up some kind of child-like innocence when I stopped fooling myself.

HH
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I vanished a card once. I dropped it while practicing, and it was gone. When I played back the video, I watched it sail sideways into a drawer that was open a tiny crack.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Let's Discuss Ourselves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL