The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Hawaii Magicians/Magic Shops (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Looks like I'm going to be in Hawaii at the end of March. Naturally, I'm wondering if there's a vibrant magic community I may be able to hook up with while I'm there or, alternatively, if there happens to be a magic shop I can visit (I like to support the brick & mortar stores as much as I can).

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Don't know about magic shops, but Curtis Kam, a member of this board, hails from there. I'm sure he is very knowledgeable of what is going on in the islands, so give him a PM.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Also, contact Mike Ching. There is a very good show by Jody Baron at the Kaanapali hotel.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Hi Kent,

I'm from Hawaii and "grew up" in magic there. Which island are you visiting? If it's Oahu, Curtis is the guy to talk to. The magic community was terrific when I was there, and I'm sure it's still alive and kicking better than ever.

To see a Las Vegas style show with illusions and hula dancing, all done with a beautiful Polynesian theme, check out John Hirokawa in "Magic Of Polynesia" at the Beachcomber hotel in Waikiki. For close up magic, see Bobby Acoba's bar magic at "Aaron's" atop the Ala Moana hotel in Honolulu. For a nice blend of intimate magic and illusions, with local-style comedy you won't find anywhere else, see my good friend Mark Allen Mauricio, the current headliner of "Tuesday Night Magic in Paradise" at the Hale Koa Hotel -- also in Waikiki.

I'm not sure what the shop scene is like these days, but I think Monty has a shop at the Aloha Tower Marketplace in Honolulu. And it's possible James Zukemura's shop in Kalihi is still open from time to time. The Zukemura's are wonderful people who mentored all the junior magicians for many years.

If he is available, you'll want to meet famous Jimmy Yoshida, our "grandfather" of magic. Everyone loves this guy, and I'm sure you know of him. Lance Burton used to get all his purple silks from him, and David Copperfield sends him birthday cards.

If you're going to Maui, as Richard mentioned, Jody Baron's show is great. In Lahaina on Maui, you can catch top-notch close up performers at Warren Gibson and Annabelle's.

Last time I was in Hawaii (Oahu), Mike Ching was the president of the IBM Ring, I think. Very nice guy. He'd know how to get you together with the clubs.

Hope this helps, Kent!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
WOW!! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a lot for all of the great info. We'll be staying in Oahu, and it sounds like the magic is alive and well on this island paradise.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Great. Hope you have fun on the trip!

Chris
Bill Scott
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
119 Posts

Profile of Bill Scott
Quote:
If you're going to Maui, as Richard mentioned, Jody Baron's show is great. In Lahaina on Maui, you can catch top-notch close up performers at Warren Gibson and Annabelle's.

I've got to put in a plug for Warren & Annabelle's in Maui.

My wife and I have been to the the show on three different trips, and it is fabulous - not to be missed. If Warren is performing, he is outstanding!
Lady D
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Lady D
Yes, go see Warren. He is dreamy. What did you think about the food?
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
RE: MAGIC IN HAWAII
Your Complete Magicians' Resource Site in Hawaii!
HawaiiMagicClub.Com

Aloha All

Our Hawaii IBM club has an excellent site for anyone visiting Hawaii.

It won the IBM Intl. Website Award of excellence last yr. and there is a page called MAGIC IN HAWAII that lists ALL of these shows and more from Stage Revues to Bar Magicians, Table Hoppers to Magic Chefs! Even where the local Magic Shops and Magic Lessons are.

Any Magician coming to Hawaii should check out this page complete with thumbnails, phone #s and e-links: http://www.hawaiimagicclub.com/magicinhawaii.htm
*(or just go to HawaiiMagicClub.Com and go to MAGIC IN HAWAII).

See some great "Postcard" scenes too, and the Homepage even tells you the current temperature in Honolulu! The MAGIC UPDATES page keeps you up on local Magic happenings, usually updates within the week with photos & links. http://www.hawaiimagicclub.com/islandmagicupdates.htm

We also have a standing invite for established lecturers who want to work here, and just had both DARYL, and JEFF McBride recently. Be aware though, that we see a LOT of magic and the State is VERY connected on the web.

*If not well known, we do require samples of your lecture on video. (Too many "fly-by-night" lecturers in decades past simply weren't up to speed, and were just looking to justify their trips as a "business" expense, so we do look for substance and have many contacts & forums like this to check credentials).

Anyway, site was created as an excellent Resource for all Magicians visiting the Islands. It is fast-loading and user friendly. Enjoy!

Magical Aloha

Mike Ching
("Da Big Kahuna"/Pres) Hawaii IBM
"Hawaii Magicians' Society"
Magicalpro
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, CO
155 Posts

Profile of Magicalpro
Just a small thing, but on Maui, the correct spelling of Jody's last mane is Baran. It is a fantastic show, well worth it!
Kurt "Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard" Flickner
Magic Estate Sale
http://www.MagicEstateSale.com
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Old-timers will remember JIMMY YOSHIDA (Performing as "TENGU") who ran the "Magic & Novelty Center" in downtown Honolulu.

Jimmy is having health issues, and his grandson Todd has put up a FACEBOOK page so his friends can send notes of cheer, stories about Jimmy (Todd wants to do a book or special in the future) or even videos Todd can bring to Jimmy and show.

If you know Jimmy or wife Aggie, Please connect to them on FACEBOOK at JIMMY TENGU YOSHIDA.

Magical Aloha;

Mike Ching
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Hawaii Magicians/Magic Shops (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL