The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Legally stopping piracy of magic show? Any lawyers on-site? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Will L.
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Will L.
Is there any way to legally protect a magical show from piracy? Theatrical plays, movies, musicians, and broadcasters are all legally protected from piracy.
Todays The Day.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I am not an attorney. However, I am familiar with the laws of copyright, which is what you are trying to protect. Copyrighting your show is relatively straightforward. You submit the script of your show with all the proper paperwork, etc., and you have something to protect. It gets expensive after that, when you have to hire an attorney to enforce your copyright against some pilfering dog who was stolen your act or a substantial portion of it, as a copyright is only as good as your protection of it. So, unless your show is making you good sums of money, it's not likely to be worth keeping an attorney on retainer to keep the thieves at bay.

I know of a magician who has copyrighted a specific portion of his act, and he has and does send letters to performers who steal that portion of this show. I do not know if he has ever gone any further than sending the letter threatening legal action, but he has indicated that the letter has persuaded those errant performers that the bit was copyright protected and not a stock bit.

Would this be of assistance to you? I don't know. As always, the best advise is to contact an attorney, one familiar with copyright laws and their enforcement, and go from there. If that expense seems daunting, find the US copyright "office" on the web and find out how to submit material for copyright and submit it. When you find someone has stolen your show, send them a letter noting that the material is copyrighted and that legal action could be taken to protect the material. That may be enough. However, you may have to find that attorney, and then the question is, is it worth it? Only you can answer that question.

And while I'm not certain of my knowledge in this instance, I think if someone changes 10 percent or more of the copyrighted material, that material is now "different" enough to be considered someone else's property.

This, or a similar question, came up in discussion amongst a group of magicians. I pointed out that nearly anyone with minimal skills could steal my act. However, no one can steal my personality, which is what sells my act and makes it mine.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
leoillusion
View Profile
New user
Atlanta GA
96 Posts

Profile of leoillusion
Make sure that your repertoire has a full written script, videotaped and copyright it as a small play. Then you have a lot of legal ground to stand on!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'm pretty sure that protecting your copyright is an expensive and long process.

The best way to do it is to follow the lead of a famous magic duo. Threaten to kick the living snot out of the pirate!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
You would also have to prove infringement, which would most likely require videotaping the copyist -- another hassle to contend with. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
This also assumes you actually originated, created and wrote what it is you are trying to copyright. If you are using any licensed music, there may be issues there.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Good point! Just because you copyright something, that doesn't mean that you necessarily have the exclusive right to use it.

Someone else can come along and challenge that copyright, by proving that he/she created it first. And if they are successful, then you are actually the infringer! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1836 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Hey Will L.

Get a PM and I'll tell ya.

or PM me!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Legally stopping piracy of magic show? Any lawyers on-site? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL