The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Obnoxious Uncle Who Forces Magic Down Your Throat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
836 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
This is an idea I had for a comedy magic presentation. This is for an act, not an effect. I don't even know what effects would be in it! Your character is a send-up of that obnoxious older relative who feels compelled to "entertain" the family. He's corny and way out of date.

Could this work as a premise for an act or is this relative by now so passe that no one would even get it that you weren't the obnoxious loser you were portraying?
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of Yannou
Sounds like fun to me, if you can do the obnoxious part tongue in cheek. Not good of course when your audience really thinks you're obnoxious. I'd think the comedy bit could come from the tricks either failing or being blatantly obvious, but then suddenly succeeding or taking an unexpected turn, much to the surprise of said uncle. I'm thinking here for instance of how Tommy Cooper looked when one his tricks worked after all.
Justin Craddock
View Profile
Regular user
buffalo,ny
127 Posts

Profile of Justin Craddock
Wouldn't that be most magicians now anyway?
"When a performance is over, What remains"
JMuoio
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
9 Posts

Profile of JMuoio
Quote:
On 2008-02-25 06:37, Yannou wrote:
Sounds like fun to me, if you can do the obnoxious part tongue in cheek. Not good of course when your audience really thinks you're obnoxious. I'd think the comedy bit could come from the tricks either failing or being blatantly obvious, but then suddenly succeeding or taking an unexpected turn, much to the surprise of said uncle. I'm thinking here for instance of how Tommy Cooper looked when one his tricks worked after all.

You don't want your spectators to see you as an obnoxious person, so make sure everything is "tongue in cheek."

This can turn out to be an interesting character if done well. If you have some strong magic as a climax for the boring and obvious magic, this can be made to be very funny and entertaining.
ptigue
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of ptigue
Got your nose!
FrankBenning
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of FrankBenning
Maybe "he" cold do really BAD stuff and mess up a lot (of course)...but it ends up being a great effect at the end anyway....and "he's" as surprised as the spectators!? Just a thought.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
836 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On 2008-03-06 14:31, ptigue wrote:
Got your nose!

Very good! I wonder if I could work a Whoopee Cushion and a Joy Buzzer into the act. Maybe one of those binoculars that blacken your eyes when you try to see the "dirty pictures." Or some soap that makes your hands dirtier. And of course, "Doggie Dood It."
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I could see this beig really funny and could certainly play comedy clubs as well. What if the notion of the character is that he does indeed think everyone in the audience is his realatives here for a huge family reunion. That could be hilarious.

His interactions with the people in the audience or audience helpers on stage could be so funny with that premise. Ok um Aunt Sue come on up here and help me show them alkl how this is really done. Hurry up.. you can get back to your knitting later geesh.

Would someone wake Uncle Bob up over there. I mean I don't fall asleep during his boring TV soccer games.

It is sooooo nice to be performing here tonight (pause) I did not realize so many of you would show up for the yearly family reunion.

Stuff like that could be really kind of funny as a way to extend the character.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Sound really funny
Cards never lie
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
I think this is an excellent idea, as I have actually recently tried it at a couple of gigs.

It is also worthy of note that I did this prior to a small rove (10 mins) through the audience afterwards (People will probably ping me for performing like this prior to a rove). Whilst it certainly essential to maintain the tongue-in-cheek approach, it also gives the 'heckling' specs a taste of, not so much your 'scathing witt', but rather how you will deal with them. It's great cause people get a laugh, but are somewhat forewarned Smile If ya catch my drift...
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1638 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Kyle - that's funny!! If it were me, I'd certainly play him as a drunk, and a lecherous one at that. I know: it's a shorter journey to my character...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Twin Falls, ID
578 Posts

Profile of Kex
Can he practice his bottom palming with his neices and nephews? LOL

I know.. bad joke. sorry but I just couldn't resist...
gfdiamond
View Profile
Regular user
sweden
198 Posts

Profile of gfdiamond
Hi guys,

a friend of mine plays an irish drunk who happens to do magic...its really funny as he sways around trying to do the tricks, (which he does very well) and the magic happens almost by accident, much to the shock of the drunk/performer.

its a really great act.

regards,

geoff.
Check me out on Google. Geoff Diamond Magician.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Sounds like a feller named "Cardini." However, he was not an "irish drunk" but a "high society drunk."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
Randy Wakeman has a presentation of the 21 card trick that plays on exactly that stereotype... Worth a look to see how one could raise expectations by introducing an effect as "uncle bob's old trick", and then turn those expectations around to great astonishment. You can see his performance here.

Cheers,
Luigi
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Another cool thing is a Robert Benchley short, I think it was for MGM back in the day. He plays a fellow who buys a magic kit from a magic shop without really knowing how anything works. I will try and find the video after work.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
I already do this character. I perform as "Uncle Eddie" at theater festivals and burlesque shows...
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
When I read this only ONE thing came to mind.

Watch the character of Keith Barret (Rob Brydon) - He would be a god basis for someone that is like an uncle, but very funny.

Gary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The Obnoxious Uncle Who Forces Magic Down Your Throat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL