The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » XCM in a restaurant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Wow! I think with a good presentation that could be awesome. Someone needs to teach that kid how to get the audience involved. He needs to develop a 'character' and make it funny.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2231 Posts

Profile of todsky
Oh, why do magicians have such tender egos...
After reading this long-winded thread, I can only conclude that many of you are envious of this kid's skills with cards. I also wish I could do what he is doing. It is, from a purely visual perspective, quite beautiful and enthralling. Yes, it is juggling and not magic. I appreciate it from a card juggling perspective, knowing all too well how difficult it is to do what he is doing.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19621 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What brings you to this conclusion exactly?

What in our responces make you think that?

See this is something you are projecting onto us and have no basis for it in reality. It is a straw man arguement at its best.

Prove we are jealous. Can we not disagree with the practice and NOT be jealous? Or only when you say so?

I really get sick of this claim as if the only reason not to like something is jealousy. I didn't like Son of Sam, am I jealous of him? I completly disagree with him, (especially leaving the Partridge Family playing on the radio!) so I am jealous of him.

You really need to rethink this position.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1563 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
I did not read through all previous pages.

Just to give my thoughts about XCM.

According to my experience, XCM while doing smoothly and beautifully, it indeed quite good to watch when it is perform live or with fancy video edit on internet. I know the top three famous XCM manipulators in the city, one of them are even quite famous in Taiwan underground XCM forums too.

Besides XCM, they also do amazing card magic, both sleight of hand and self working according performance venue and situation. They are talented and have a bright future of magic because they continue to receive knowledge of magic in other source besides XCM.

So, what is the problem of young XCM kids these days?

The problem is, some young people mix up XCM with card magic by saying to others doing XCM is card magic, and it happens all over the place, and I believe that this not the only case in my city. Another problem is they look at XCM as everything, maybe because they have no other source to get in touch of other forms of magic because of poverty (yes, in my city most kids start out magic because it cost the price of a deck of cards and they can download pirate instruction video for free, including Tudor and Buck Twins XCM videos too.)

I think every current problem with magic these days start with ¡¥education issue.¡¦ Without proper source and guidance, the new generation will only absorb what they feel ¡¥right¡¦ or ¡¥interesting.¡¦

Another point we should consider is many new comers stare at their own hands while doing magic or XCM without any communication, or I should say presentation. I think that is even more serious we should consider the future development of magic in new generations. Think about 8 years ago the best selling elementary instruction DVDs are Michael Ammar¡¦s, now are Beginnerz Xtreme, Trilogy and other with minimum or simply no presentation.

I had a high school kid card magic student the first lesson when I ask him to perform the best effect he can do he never leave his sight from the deck he held in his left dealing grip. When he spread the deck the deck was even held as close as 6 inch from his face, and he talked to me by talking directly to the deck¡K

Difficult sleight of hand or XCM has no problem, the only problem remains is we should do sleights like we breathe air, other than that, there is no difference in exposure. This apply to all kinds of magic.

I believe that besides politics, BT, piracy & ripped off products, the definition of magic for new generations is another issue we have to think about in the long run.

I hope you guys find my sharing useful in this discussion.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

http://rubiksdream.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2090 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I do a little "XCM" at restaurants and most of my gigs. people love it, as long as you don't over do it. It can look like art...or masturbation.

M:C
CactusChris
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of CactusChris
Quote:
On 2008-03-25 02:11, Steven Leung wrote:
I did not read through all previous pages.

Hi I'm new here and unlike you did read through the whole post. All you missed was a huge argument, and most of it was NOT about the merits of performing XCM (Extreme card MAGIC) during table hopping.

I've been performing card magic for 10 years now and a years ago I bought the first real XCM instructional DVD 'Generation Extreme' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IszNGD79-rM that's a trailer of the DVD. I challenge any of you to say that these tricks in the video aren't suitable for a table hopping evening.

Brian Tudor developed these tricks to be displayed to music, and a lot of the kids that emulate him will plan on keeping to that formula after all a video posted on youtube can recieve thousands of views in no time, there is also a thriving youtube community where XCM'ers share tips and tricks and post short instructional videos on improved techniques so many will perform just for youtube. But not all people who have tried this will think in the same way, others like me will try to incorporate such tricks into a more rounded routine incorporating coin magic, street magic and more. Surely encouragment of any strain of magic is a good thing, variety is after all the spice of life.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » XCM in a restaurant (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL