The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Blake Douglass in The feb. issue of TLR (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blake Douglass
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Blake Douglass
Hello all, wow I cant believe I have been browsing these forums for four years and just now joined. I can remember countless topics I would be dying to comment on but couldn't seeing as I wasnt a member. Well now I am here, and while I am here I would like to announce that I will be featured in the feb. issue of TLR. Dakota Rose wrote the artcile, and if my memory serves me correctly it is featured under "Millinials Rising." I hope you all take the time to read it, and get back to me with your thought. You can expect to hear a lot from me now that I am an active member of this board. I hope I can help all of you as much as this board has helped me. Till next time. Bye all.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Blake,

I read your write-up in The Linking Ring, and let me say congratulations!

As I read the piece, it reminded me of where I was in my magical development when I was your age (a long time ago). I, too, believed it was all sleights all the time. Nothing else would do.

However, I have changed over the years and do not care if I use sleight or a gimmicked prop, I want to create a sense of awe and wonder with the audience.

I had the privilege of speaking with Ken de Courcy a few years ago. Ken is in his 80s, and I believe he still performs from time to time. When I asked for his opinion about sleights vs. gimmicks, his reply was that sleight of hand was a gimmick you did not have to get rid of.

As you say in the article, there is no such thing as real magic, which is why motivation for doing a move is important to you. If magic is not real, then a gimmick or some type of scheme is involved.

Keep up the good work, continue to practice and don't be so quick to toss out gimmicks, they might come in handy down the road at some point in your career.

Best wishes,

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Blake Douglass
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Hey bobby first let me say thank you for taking the time to read my article, it means a lot to me. Secondly allow me to say this, and I regret not clarifying more. I don't like gimmicks for the sole purpose that they give magicians an easy way out. If a magician claims that magic is an art, like so many do. Then it should be treated like an art, with dedication and constant practice. A true artist will not trace another artist work and sell it as his own. Nor does a true singer/songwriter use synthetic machines to enhance their voice. I hope these comparisons give some justification as to why I insist on going gimmick free. I however do include gimmicks in to my sleights, not to do the work for me but to instead increase the impact of the overall outcome. It is also a simplicity thing for me. I would much rather carry around four coins and a deck of cards to do a whole show. Rather than carry around 4 decks, and 3 sets of coins to do a show. Im well aware that magic is about entertaining the lay audience, but before one can show their art to another, one must feel confident in the art that one produces. So to me I would like to learn as much as I can, and implore those skills in my magic. I invite everyone to read the article and please post your feed back. Thanks to all TLR subscribers, and hope all is well.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I like the way you think, Blake. I would encourage you to stick with it, even when it becomes difficult. In my personal development, my ability to do sleights was probably at its peak when I was in high school. After I graduated, I began to work full time and got away from magic for the most part, until I met Leland Pennington in Ohio nearly 20 years later. He reintroduced me to the art and has helped me grow tremendously. I lost a lot of good years in my professional development as a performer of magical arts.

Now quit reading this and get back to practice.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Blake Douglass
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

HAHAHAH Your last comment made me laugh. I feel blessed that I am able to make a substancial living off of my magic. I have heard one to many stories of guys needing money and leaving magic. Those kinds of stories sadden me. Luckily I was blessed with two parents with phd's in independent business, so this kinda thing is second nature to me. Like I mention in the article I hope that one day I will have enough profitable investments going so I wont have to work and do shows. That way I can travel the world expanding my knowledge of magic and all of its treasure troves. Thanks again for the comment Bobby it is much appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Blake Douglass in The feb. issue of TLR (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL