The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best coin tricks - advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

roamingmagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of roamingmagic
I'm looking for coin tricks right now, the most visual and stunning. Anyone?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
What type, using sleights, gaffed coins? Lots of great coin tricks, depends on your level of coin knowledge and skill. For a beginner try gaffed coins, scotch and soda, hopping halves, stuff like that.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Do you know sleight of hand? Do you want to buy a gaff coin trick? Do you want to spend a lot of money or a little? Are you willing to do some work?

Tough questions.

For gaffs, for the money, and for the level of expertise needed to do some amazing coin magic, you cannot beat Hopping Halfs IMHO. This one gives you some good utility pieces that you'll be able to use for many other tricks once you get bored with the original presentation.

As for sleight of hand, the obvious answers are Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic", and Roth's dvd's "Expert Coin Magic". Learn from these and you could eventually be a Pro...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
If you have the money _ Roth
If you don't _ Bobo.
If you have enough money for both then _ Both Roth and Bobo
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Chink-a-chink(Roth/Ammar), Dai Vernon's Expansion of Texture.Start there and work your way up.

AJ
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
A great start out is any coins across. Simple sleights (false transfer, palming), and with some practice, it will become a killer addition.

Just my thoughts,

Monte
danielellis_5
View Profile
Loyal user
Sheffield
211 Posts

Profile of danielellis_5
I think the best coin gimmick to get is Bob swadlings double deception IMHO but I would definatly get Bobos before you buy any gimmicks

Dan
Best quote from a spectator"I know how he did that,it was sleight of hand"(spectator then sits back looking pleased with himself)
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
What about matrix?
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
Magic1man
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Magic1man
A two in the hand one in the pocket routine is a good beginning trick, not to technically demanding, but mystifying and has a great ending.
Bandon
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Bandon
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 11:43, Montethrower wrote:
A great start out is any coins across. Simple sleights (false transfer, palming), and with some practice, it will become a killer addition.

Just my thoughts,

Monte

I second that, I'm not a coin guy atm, I'm hoping to expand in the future, so I guess I'm kinda like a layman when it comes to coins, and from what I've seen coins across in the hands is just a stunning trick, when the magician flicks his left hand and you can hear the coin land in the spectators hand is just an amazing moment
rdsachs
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of rdsachs
In the begnning there were coins by jay noblezada is a great beginners dvd which starts from the very basic slieghts and taches some very easy but impressive routines: coins across, coins through table, how to make coins appear and disappear with and without props and its all ungimmicked. Its great for a beginner
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I would also recommend a scotch and soda set. It is dirt simple and gets fabulous reactions. I don't know why it took me so long to purchase one.

Pick up Bobo's Modern Coin Magic for a few dollars to learn the basics as well as getting enough material to keep you busy for years. Gadabout Coins from this book is great fun and will help you practice some of the basics.

If you're a visual learner, I also liked the Jay Noblezada DVD. Great instruction on the basics and some excellent routines.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
magicbjl1970
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of magicbjl1970
Would you consider SH4DE by Daniel Garcia? It's a nice shadow coins routine that uses no gimmicks or extra coins. Just 4 coins and a lot of magic. Also not very difficult to learn.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I know you are asking for tricks and not DVD references, but Michael Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic is fantastic, and for the money, can teach you tons of "visual and stunning" coin magic, for the same price as 1 gaffed coin, or cheap scotch and soda set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best coin tricks - advice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL