The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Egg beater gag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
I was wondering if anyone knew who was the first to start using the egg beater as a comedy prop... For some reason I wanna say it was Ken Brook that started the whole thing. I'm also looking for the origin of using a giant playing card to flash the audience for a comedy ESP routine.

Any info would be great! Thanks guys!!

- Wadini
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I think that you are referring to Barry Mitchell's wonderful ESP routine. He is a prolific creator who lives nearby. I asked him about that routine a couple of years ago and he told me that he is not releasing that effect to the public. He does however have "The Worlds Fastest Card Trick" that is very similar and I believe is available at http://www.barrymitchell.com/

I hope this helps.

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
I have seen the egg beater gag used by many in the last few years. I have have no idea the routine that Barry performs.... I also know the giant playing card bit has also been performed and altered in many ways. Barry was the first to do this?
Wade Live
View Profile
Veteran user
Earth
322 Posts

Profile of Wade Live
Ok so Joe Stevens from Stevens magic informed us that Ken Brooks is the originator of the comedy egg beater bit... He also informed us that the giant playing card bit has been around FOREVER and he has no idea who was the first to come up with it. I have seen it performed in many demo reels in all different ways.

I'm sure Barry Mitchell has a great routine with the egg beater and comedy card bit but it's deffinettly not his to keep or own. I'm sure his routine is unique to himself, but not the premise....

Thanks guys!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Wade: You are correct. I know Barry uses it in a great and funny comedy bit, but it is not new at all. The eggbeater as a gag style thing for mentalism effects has been around for years and as far as I can tell has been performed by hundreds of magicians. I see it all the time. Barry uses it well for his routine, but I certainly know it has been done long before that.

As far as the card gag bit, I am not sure on that.I have also seen this used a lot by folks. The magician I recall using it the most effectively lately has been Michael Finney.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I have seen the egg beater used for more than 20 years. Thanks for clarifying the original.

We have a real old one....It is one of the few "props" I can't bring out of the house. One of these days I might get one at a thrift store. So many props..(do I really need to create another one)

Aside: The latest prop I am considering "borrowing from the house" is a glove with long fingers that is really a cat toy. Can you say Edward Scissor Hand/Wolverine...and nearly normal card sword. (seems I saw someone with this idea with a monster glove about 5 years ago..)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2500 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I did the egg beater at school shows in 1976 & it was old then!
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
That's right. I saw the egg beater gag coupled with flashing the card to the audience back in the 70's at the Magic Castle. Don't remember who it was, but it was old then too, because the magician had been doing it for years. Terry Seabrook comes to mind. Our own Pete Biro might remember who started this.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ken Brooke used the Egg Beater gag (with a break-a-way handle) in the NEMO RISING CARD ROUTINE.

But the first use I know of was author/magician CLAYTON RAWSON, probably around 50 years ago.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Y'know those kitchen items you put cheese into and turn a crank to grate it over you pasta? Well I modified one you have the specdtator hold against his forehead and crank, aiming at someone. As he does the device reveals a message or a playing card.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
I don't know why, but there is something innately funny about an old fashion eggbeater - I guess in our modern electric world it seems out of place in our kitchens and way out of place in a magic show.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1155 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Where can I find a copy of this routine?
richards
View Profile
New user
Brian Richards
82 Posts

Profile of richards
I am the first to use a hard boiled egg slicer in my show and I am not releasing this to the public. I have the exclusive rights to use a hard boiled egg slicer. If anyone is using one, let me and my lawyer know. NO HARD BOILED EGG SLICERS!! Got that?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
Don Alan also used the egg beater gag with his Comedy Egg Trick.

Julie
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
For those who are interested, we have a history of the comedy egg beater gag in the manuscript for our effect, The Thoughts Transmitter 2000. The gag goes back before Mr. Brook. Our version, researched by Bill Palmer, accredits all the performers who pioneered this gimmick.

Just thought I'd add this. If anyone is interested in the history, please PM me.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
jackstevens
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of jackstevens
So, like Pete said posts ago, Clayton Rawson published this 50 years ago in Hugards Magic Monthly, and is the acknowledged creator.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2008-03-24 19:53, Larry Bean wrote:
I don't know why, but there is something innately funny about an old fashion eggbeater - I guess in our modern electric world it seems out of place in our kitchens and way out of place in a magic show.

As Robert has stated the Egg beater gag has been around for many many years and done many different ways all packaged with their own routine in many different books. I have done my current routine now for many years and it still gets a huge reaction. Many years ago I started doing this gag with a child’s toy windmill the type you blow on and it spins. Since Robert brought up the Thoughts Transmitter 2000 here, I want add that this version adds a lot to a classic gag that makes it more modern. The working pro’s who have reviewed our routine or have seen me perform it, all agree that this update was much much needed for this classic effect.

I feel that just because it has been around for a while does not make it any less of a great performance piece. Look at how many magicians still use the egg bag, cups and balls, linking rings or silk fountain. The one thing you can count on with classics is they always give you what you put into them.

What Robert has done is to find everything you need to do this trick, so it is a complete package ready to go and modernized with enhancements, homage to the first creators, and that I am sure the forefathers who started using this gag would be proud to see.
The scripting and narrations with Thoughts Transmitter 2000 makes it that much more in todays world of electronics.

-Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9490 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I have a walnut cracker in my arsenal but I don't know the routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Egg beater gag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL