The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon and Stooging and other classic things (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 15:57, entity wrote:
In my opinion, part of the appeal of Mentalism is that it is unique from other kinds of entertainment.

If there are lots of people doing it, it ceases to become special. To have many people in one program doing it (apart perhaps from a documentary type of situation where you search the world to examine the subject) seems to me to detract from its unique nature. In a Magic special, if you had 6 dove magicians performing in the same show, even if they did different productions, vanishes, changes, etc., it would be counter productive, so in shows where several magicians perform, they use variety -- a close-up card guy, a dove worker, an illusionist, a stage manipulation act, etc.

Unfortunately, Mentalists, whether it's a valid perception or not, are seen to have similar acts: we read minds, make predictions, etc. This view was somewhat validated on Phenomenon, when so many performed variations of the same effects.

- entity

How would 6 ventriloquists, or 6 hypnotists, go over as entertainment in the same show, whether TV or live?

To my mind, 6 mentalists could be much more varied in what they do - for example:

> Metal bending

> PK movement

> Telepathy

> Clairvoyance

> Precognition

etc., etc., etc.

Vents make inanimate objects talk, and hyps make people do things. Pretty narrow in comparison, don't you think?

Perhaps that's why we've never seen shows like "Battle of the Dummies" or "Who wants to be a chicken?"
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 16:07, Lemniscate wrote:
Arnon,
Do you even know what "prove" means? I swear, some people. Or are you going to try to impress me by saying you were "almost" a genius in math or whatever other spiel you have? I mean, of ALL people to talk about ego, need I remind you of that obnoxious (and completely embarassing for you) "me me me" PM you sent me? I know it is an impossible request, but why not actually give some ideas or a point of view instead of trying to bash everybody from the outside (your usual MO)?

L

Proof? I only know about proof from being a college math professor and also a trial lawyer. That's on two different professional levels - scientific and sociological - so what are you talking about?

And what PM are you talking about? Do you have a copy? I'd love to see it. Please PM it to me, if you still have it.

How easily you gloss over your flagrant rudeness to kriskraze, calling his opinion less than worthless?

Please correct your attitude.
TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of TamTheMentalist
Yes, of course, in your mind, there is more variety, but who you're pitching the idea too probably doesn't see that, I know, I'm sounding like a broken record player, but the point doesn't seem to hit. For example, they would probably group metal bending in with PK movement, and Clairvoyance in with telethapy. Yes, to us, there is a lot of variety in what we do, but to the general public, they will probably, at most, list 3 things that we can do, even if that many.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 16:32, TamTheMentalist wrote:
Yes, to us, there is a lot of variety in what we do, but to the general public, they will probably, at most, list 3 things that we can do, even if that many.

Point well taken, but

"Mentalism" denotes the power of the mind, and not necessarily how that power is used to manifest in either physical or mental effects.

So I would say that even to the general public, the following categories would be considered separate and different:

> PK (including movement, metal bending, levitation, etc.)

> Telepathy (plus clairvoyance, precognition, remote viewing, etc.)

> Control over one's body (pulse stop, stigmata, etc.)

> Control over another's mind (suggestion, hypnosis, forcing amnesia, etc.)

Any more categories?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 16:15, Arnon wrote:
How would 6 ventriloquists, or 6 hypnotists, go over as entertainment in the same show, whether TV or live?

I'd agree. That goes back to my earlier statement about variety in a given show.

Although, I find that successful professional vents seem to be more personality-driven and inventive than mentalists in their attempts to set themselves apart from the next performer. Mentalists seem often to be more effect-driven.

To the public, it might be equally entertaining to see Jay Marshall performing "Lefty" immediately after watching Jay Thomas perform the three shell game with a talking pea. To the same audience, watching Richard Osterlind do a bank night effect (basically a prediction), followed by the Evasons telling people what they have in their purse (telepathy from one partner to the other), might seem like a similar thing: reading minds.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get variety in a mentalism show. I'm saying that often the subtle differences in process are lost on audiences. Spoon bending might be different, but then again, set against other types of telekinetic effects, would the audience see the difference?

- entity
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
I find myself agreeing with you, entity, and hence do not believe that a weekly mentalism show with multiple mentalists is on the American TV horizon.

Here are two more broad categories:

> Memory Mastery (people, objects, etc.)

> Mathematical Mastery (magic squares, lightning calculations, etc.)
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I like your categories, but I think that that's barely sufficient for ONE mentalist to fill out a series (or even a special) without seeming repetitious.

Glad we agree on some things.

- entity
TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Math is not going to sell to the American public!

They won't stand for it!

The very word probably sounds like scratches on a chalkboard...

Honestly, if I heard the word math as I was flipping through channels, I would keep on going.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Tam: I dunno. There was an info-mercial on late at night a while back where a fellow was touting his special math system to make math easier for people to learn. It was enormously successful and made the fellow a lot of money. His pitch was entertaining and amazing.

Have you ever seen Arthur Benjamin or other "Mathemagicians" perform their acts? The good ones are pretty entertaining!

- entity
TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Can't say I have.

I'm just saying, as a personal preference, I wouldn't want to hear the word math on TV. I get too much math homework from my AP classes.

I'll be sure to check the out in the summer when I'm all math deprived and what not though.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
In fact, that was my next thought -

Have 6 "mentalists" who specialize in each category and are outstanding entertainers.

For instance, how about each week, in each of the broad categories,

Banachek performs PK
Osterlind performs Telepathy
Jermay performs Body Control
Brown performs Mind Control
Lorayne performs Memory Mastery
Benjamin performs Mathematical Wizardry

Shall we call it "Masters of the Mind"?

Don't you think an hour could easily be filled if each of the "masters" performs one effect per show?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
No one could afford to produce the show. And what would be the benefit of appearing on such a show, for someone like Derren Brown?

I'd pay to see a cage match with those mentioned, though.

- entity
TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

That show would be a mental overload...

Where's Bob Cassidy?
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
[quote]On 2008-02-26 14:46, kriskraze wrote:
Quote:
Yep, I contest it but don't need to prove it.

I'll remember to invite you to the next discussion Smile

Quote:
Also, are you stating mentalism isn't mostly, theatre, acting and drama?

You are being pedantic. Of course that's not what I'm claiming. But similarly I'm not claiming that mentalism is mostly human beings walking around doing stuff and saying stuff.

Quote:
The use of stooges is just a tool, like a nwriter, a clipboard, DReality or anythings else. There are performers who will use any of those things badly, and there are others that will use them wisely and create a sensation. [/quote[
and
Quote:
All effects are "faked" or "real" to the same extent. Complaining about a particular methodology is a personal preference.

I accept that it is a tool to achieve an effect. I consider it a tool in the same league as camera trickery in televised magic. I don't think that either are respectable tools to use in the art of mentalism.

I've not seen the Paul Daniels routine, but allow me to clarify 'weak'. I mean artistically weak, the impact of the effect and the perception by the audience may be very strong.

All effects are not real and faked to the same extent.

In a stooged routine the outcome is faked. In a regular routine the way to the outcome is faked.

You can see me read someone's mind with a NW, or you can see me do the same without a NW and a stooge participant.

The end result is very similar for the audience. Which has the higher artistry?

Would you feel ripped off if you purchased an effect with fantastic performance conditions: no nw, no pw, no kitchen, no sink. You open the book to find a routine that suggests just using a stooge? If not, let me know.. I've got some great new routines...

Dr Spektor could be called many things

Demented, disturbing, diabolical, devious and delightful.

"Pedantic" is one of the last words in the English language I would use to describe him.

He is lean and athirst.

D
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 17:36, TamTheMentalist wrote:
Where's Bob Cassidy?

And where's Kreskin, Max Maven, Larry Becker, etc.?

You can't have all the greats on the show - not enough time!

Quote:
On 2008-02-26 17:36, TamTheMentalist wrote:
That show would be a mental overload...

How do you mean?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 14:46, kriskraze wrote:

I accept that it is a tool to achieve an effect. I consider it a tool in the same league as camera trickery in televised magic. I don't think that either are respectable tools to use in the art of mentalism.

I've not seen the Paul Daniels routine, but allow me to clarify 'weak'. I mean artistically weak, the impact of the effect and the perception by the audience may be very strong.

All effects are not real and faked to the same extent.

In a stooged routine the outcome is faked. In a regular routine the way to the outcome is faked.

You can see me read someone's mind with a NW, or you can see me do the same without a NW and a stooge participant.

The end result is very similar for the audience. Which has the higher artistry?

Surely the artistry is in the presentation and in the final effect, not in the tools used. Should the quality of the artist be defined by the tools he used to create the art? Willy Nelson makes beautiful music on a chewed up old guitar with holes in it. Is he less of an artist because he chooses to use that instead of an elegant looking, expensive guitar? Isn't the art in the music produced?

- entity
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 17:20, entity wrote:
No one could afford to produce the show.
I'd pay to see a cage match with those mentioned, though.

- entity

With the first sentence, you question whether anyone could (or would) come up with the money to produce it.

On the other hand, with your last sentence, you affirm how worthwhile the show would be to you, and that you'd part with good money to see it.

Seems to me that's a pretty good sales pitch for the show to some network - that folks would pay to see it. Now please don't tell me that the general public doesn't share your good taste in mentalism - art is meant to teach people what to appreciate - and it will pay off in the long run to the network, plus it will pay off for the future popularity of mentalism entertainment.

Quote:
And what would be the benefit of appearing on such a show, for someone like Derren Brown?

Becoming a household name in the U.S., for one thing.
:D
Arnon
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Arnon: I meant an ACTUAL cage match, as in wrestling. I'd pay to see that, with the combatants named.

I think Derren can think of better ways to become a household name in the U.S. Stay tuned.

And I do think that television producers might not see things they way that you do. Producers would see it as an expensive experiment to conduct, merely to education people in the subtleties of mentalism. I don't think that many (any?) broadcasters would take the chance, ESPECIALLY after Phenomenon.

There are niche market audiences for all sorts of interests. I don't think that the audience for mentalism is demonstrably large enough to overcome the other objections to a multi-mentalist series. You and I might love it, if it were well done, but the average audience would, I think, not find a focus that would engage them for the entire series. Sad, but probably true.

- entity
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Entity_Tom:

Sadly, you might be right.

Let's see what the future brings - maybe my idea will catch on.

I wonder how Derren Brown will be conducting the post-Beatles British invasion?

Arnon

P.S. In an ACTUAL cage match, I have a feeling Derren Brown would win. He probably has studied the martial arts.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
As I said, stay tuned...

One other thought... One of the big problems faced by contestants on Phenomenon was that, with several performers on each show, none had the time to really develop a rapport with the audience, or time to make clear the things that are so essential to the performance of good mentalism, such as context, process, personal vision, etc.

Just a thought.

- entity
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Phenomenon and Stooging and other classic things (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL