The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Close-Up Gospel Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Okay, I have been for the most part a stand up Christian Illusionist, dealing with stage programs. But I have realized in order for my Ministry Show to be efficient, I will have to exercise puting those illusions up close and person while presenting a message.

My problem is that most of my experience came from church's asking me to perform, not me doing a Gospel presentation on a split second notice. I really want to go at split second Gospel Illusions with a message. I'm trying to be more flexible with those who could be potential spectators. I have NO experience throwing in a Gospel message with a close-up effect. I barely have any experiences in close-up magic.

I hope I'm making myself clear. I want to know what is the best way of doing it, when asked to show a split second effect should I just do the effect and tell the message at that moment or is there a better more sound way of doing this?
In other words, ask someone if they would like to see a close-up trick with a Gospel application or should I let them ask to see one and let the message come out without them expecting it? you know the element of suprise?

You need to understand where I'm coming from, I mostly do stage shows and people know that I'm there to educate, motivate and entertain. But out there on the streets or in the mall, where ever, those people do not know me or what I do.
Is there an appropriate way of letting the message get into the spectators ears?

I hope I made myself clear. Probably tomarrow I will have solved this problem but I guess if that happens this thread could go on to give future viewers advice.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 20:41, ibm_usa wrote:
I have NO experience throwing in a Gospel message with a close-up effect. I barely have any experiences in close-up magic....

Is there an appropriate way of letting the message get into the spectators ears?

My first bit of advice is to perfect your close-up work.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Close up should be used with one on one evangelism, let me suggest something to get you started. You only really need to get one good effect down to start witnessing...here's a good effect that lends itself as a good close up magic but then continuing using it to present the Gospel.

Color changing knives...do a basic routine after you've amazed them, you then transition into a message..."our life can be a lot like this effect. We know that there are things that we've done that is wrong, sins and no matter how hard we try to get rid of our sins, they keep coming back." (This would require both knives in one hand, you take out the "special" black knife and place it in your other hand, when you open your hand back up, the black knife is back and the white knife is in the other hand)then go into sharing how Jesus can cleanse them and forgive them of all their sins...(trick stops, message continues)

Get that down and you've got one great witnessing tool...

Another is a Hot Rod making sure you have a red version. Each stone could represent different areas in your life that are sinful, but the blood of Jesus can cover all of our sins and make us whole.

Just a couple of thoughts...one on one evangelism doesn't require a whole show, just one or two really good effects that opens the door for sharing.
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I think that a one on one encounter is different than a show. In a show, you're expected to have more than one effect and they are expected to be entertaining and to routine together.

In a one on one encounter, you aren't expected to do any effect at all. You are looking to tell people the truth about the gospel of Jesus Christ. That being the case, the effect that you do needs to be able to illustrate the truth of the gospel without distracting the person you're witnessing to. It needs to be more of a visual confirmation of the truth that you are sharing with the person.

This can, of course, be done with many effects whether they are marketed as gospel effects or not. I think that the major focus should be on making sure that you know the message. If you do, then spend some time praying and looking at the effects you have and see if they can be used to illustrate the truth. If so, then all you have to do is practice the effect in "dry run" type of situation. Ask a friend to help you. If they don't know Christ, all the better! Smile

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
A suggestion for any "do as I do" closeup effect. I do this with Dean Dill's "Believe it or knot" effect. I go through the routine with a spectator trying to mimic what I do with the rope and knots. As the magic begins, I encourage them to continue to follow my directions. I tell them not to view their inability to perform a "miracle" as failure. After all, the magician is the only one expected to perform magic. They only need to succeed in following the directions. I then make the comparison between following God's commands while leaving the miracles to God. In other words, as long as we accept Jesus as our Savior and example and follow His directions the best we can, even when we fail we can still expect miracles to occur because God is the source of the miracles, not us. It is because of our faith that God rewards us with an answer to our prayers, and even miracles.

As Mike said, it’s not necessary to perform magic to witness to someone, but if you’re able to accentuate the message you’re sharing with someone by entertaining them with an effect that highlights what you’re saying visually, all the better. Your witness will probably stay with them for a long time, hopefully making life-changing impact.

That said, I’ve been able to witness after simply mentioning that Gospel magic was a ministry/hobby of mine, without having to perform at all. So, to actually answer one of your questions, let the Holy Spirit dictate whether or not you perform an effect before, after, or while you’re giving witness. Prayer before anything involving ministry is the best way to discern your approach in any situation.

God bless,

Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
As far as close up gospel magic, one I would suggest is "Sponge Cubes to Cross" available on Duane Laflin's site. It is direct, powerful, and yet very simple to do, it can't really be messed up. So this might be good one to start out with to gain some confidence in one on one presentations. It also packs small, and is not at all expensive. Might want to give it a try.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Thanks guys! I hope I find a close up effect that can be used to illustrate a point and one that works for me.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Please let us know what you find! I would be interested in hearing about it!
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
So far I have found a good message about our value to God using a silver dollar and a quarter. Transforming the quarter after talking about how people put unfair value on other people depending on their popularity, strengths, etc, the quarter is then transformed into a silver dollar, showing how our value to God is better and even then the value people place on others.

I've also thought of illustrating how when we walk closer with Christ we are forever transformed into His likness using a card transformation method I recently invented, taking for example a low value card from a deck, say the 5 of hearts, say that when we walk with Christ we learn and grow and become more Christ like, then I put the 5 of hearts on top of deck and pick it up again showing that it has been replaced with a high value card, say the king of hearts.

just something that can help illustrate a point.

-Guy Jarrett

dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
Most of my work has been in stage shows as well, but I find now adays I get lots of opportunities to talk with people on-on-one. There is a very good pocket effect I use called "He died for you" that is basically a packet of business-sized cards with a cross printed on it. You have the spectator sign his name on the at the bottom of the cross, remove the card from the packet & place it face down in front of the spectator. After giving some thoughts on what the cross symbolizes and its' meaning, the spectator turns the card over & printed across the cross are the words "He died for you." The spectator can keep the card as a souvenir. This is a great one-on-one effect that gives you the opportunity to witness as to what Christ did on the cross for us. The effect works on the "Out to lunch" card trick principle, if you are familiar with it. You can get this effect through most gospel magician suppliers.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
What is the name of the coin trick that uses a silver dollar and a quarter? thanks and GOD bless.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Another idea which I've used is performing the Ambitious Card routine, but the card in question represents a sin in the spectator's life that they've tried to hide from others. You show that they might be able to hide their sins from other people, but they can't hide it from God. I won't get into the whole routine with the message I use, but it has worked really well for me. The ending,(if I had them sign the card) is to make their signature on the card change to "Jesus Christ". I'm sure many can come up with their own message to this trick.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
One I do is using "Out to Lunch" to illustrate allowing Christ to answer the door to your heart when temptation knocks.
I draw the sign of the fish, and have the spectator intial inside the symbol to represent 'himself in Christ.'
I then draw a trident, symbolizing Satan's attack.
When Satan knocks and you allow Christ to answer the door, Satan departs.
At the end, the trident has vanished, leaving only the fish with the spectator's initials.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Mostly what I have been doing is just performing the best close-up illusions I can, and if God gives me a message or I find a message that fits it I let it come out.

The coin trick with the sivler dollar and the quarter is just the Bobo Switch. I didn't want to say the method in fear of having this topic locked and my account washed down Steve Brook's drain.

-Guy Jarrett

CraftyOne
View Profile
New user
Peterborough, ON
13 Posts

Profile of CraftyOne
Quote:
On 2008-02-27 06:26, Terry Owens wrote:
...Another is a Hot Rod making sure you have a red version. Each stone could represent different areas in your life that are sinful, but the blood of Jesus can cover all of our sins and make us whole...

I have a Black Hot Rod that changes to all Diamonds... What kind of patter could be used for witnessing with that prop.

CraftyOne
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
CraftyOne,

The diamonds could symbolize purity from sin. We're all diamonds in the ruff to God, until we receive Christ into our hearts as our Lord and Savior.

God bless,

Dave

Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
I like Dave's suggestion that the diamonds could symbolize the Christian once he has repented and put his trust in Christ.

Personally, I would stay away from saying 'we receive Christ into our hearts' because, well, I don't believe that's accurate. You and I both know what we really mean when we say that, but non-Christians don't. It's "Christian-speak". People really don't become saved or born again by asking Jesus into their heart. They do when they first repent of their sins and then put their trust in Christ (like they trust a parachute after jumping out of a plane).

Saying that we should 'ask Jesus into our heart' might lead people to think that Christ is actually living inside our physical heart. The Spirit of God does in fact take up residence inside us. That's an awesome thing indeed! But not in our physical heart, or for that matter, stomach, liver, small intestine, or kidney.

Think about it, if that were true, would we lose Christ if we had a heart transplant? And if we donate our heart after dying, does the heart recipient become an instant Christian because Jesus is inside that heart? Sorry to bring it up but in my opinion, that phrase does more harm than good when trying to evangelize.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Check out Hell's Best Kept Secret at http://www.wayofthemaster.com for a really good and clear explanation. I think you will love this.

Joe
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
To clarify: When I say heart, I mean the heart or core of our very being. I know Joe and I agree on this. Smile

ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Good one guys

-Guy Jarrett

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2747 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2008-03-05 21:27, Joe Marotta wrote:
Personally, I would stay away from saying 'we receive Christ into our hearts' because, well, I don't believe that's accurate. You and I both know what we really mean when we say that, but non-Christians don't. It's "Christian-speak". People really don't become saved or born again by asking Jesus into their heart. They do when they first repent of their sins and then put their trust in Christ (like they trust a parachute after jumping out of a plane).

Saying that we should 'ask Jesus into our heart' might lead people to think that Christ is actually living inside our physical heart. The Spirit of God does in fact take up residence inside us. That's an awesome thing indeed! But not in our physical heart, or for that matter, stomach, liver, small intestine, or kidney.

Think about it, if that were true, would we lose Christ if we had a heart transplant? And if we donate our heart after dying, does the heart recipient become an instant Christian because Jesus is inside that heart? Sorry to bring it up but in my opinion, that phrase does more harm than good when trying to evangelize.

:
Joe

Ok.
I recently did a search to confirm that there is not a passage in the Bible (NAS) that talks about asking Jesus into our hearts. I understand the sentiment, but wonder where this phrasing came from.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Close-Up Gospel Illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL