The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Please read, need clarification (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Okay, I'm Dennis and I live in Belgium.
Therefore, my native language isn't English.

I've done a few paid shows. I'm certainly not a professional. I might be a semi pro, since I still have my regular job.

I learned a lot of my magic trough books and DVDs, and also read about the business side of magic.

There are a few things about the business I don't understand.

Like the college circuit: First, let me state my understanding of college. I think it's a level of school between high school (mid grade in our country) and university. It's a sort of higher education.

We have 'em in Belgium too, only with us they're called "hogeschool" [which literally translates into "high school" (not the same as yours)].

So I think my question is, why would a college which is all about education hire a magician? I don't get it, is it for after-school hours? I can promise you, no school here would think about doing something like that during hours, and most wouldn't after hours. So, why do they do it in America?

Second:

Everyone keeps talking about trade shows. I can understand corporate events, but what exactly is a trade show?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Hey Dennis,
Don't worry about your English. It's actually better than a lot of people here who claim it as their main language.

In the US, the words "college" and "university" are used interchangeably. Most college performers would perform in the evenings in a theater or other venue on campus. I have VERY little experience in the area. Mostly, because I'm a close-up performer. I have done 2 colleges so far this year. One was a few weeks ago for Mardi Gras. The school was having a special Mardi Gras themed luncheon on Fat Tuesday, and they hired me and a Dixieland band to play for 2 hours during lunch. Everyone seemed to love it.

Trade shows-
Some companies utilize magicians to help increase the flow of traffic in their booth during a show. This could be a trade show for computer software, and Microsoft might hire a magician. He would usually perform several shows a day, working the company name and products into his routines. He is more or less a spokesman for the company. He must be familiar with products and services they offer. I don't know about Europe, but here in the states, the masters of this craft are Seth Kramer (member of this forum), Paul Gertner, and Charles Green.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
To answer the question of why a college or university would hire a magician is that they don't. At least in the US, it is the Student Activities Board who do. And they do it to provide leisure activities and entertainment for the student body. On most major campuses in the US, there is usually something of some nature happening every week - some campuses, several times a week.

For trade shows, companies want to do something to attract attention. They might have a magician, they might have a celebrity look alike, or they might have some bikini models. It isn't really about the product or message as much as it really is about drawing a crowd...
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Please read, need clarification (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL