The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » magic course for kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
I am going to teach magic to grade school kids, probably ages 9 to 11, and would like some advice. This will be a two hour class and I will be drawing heavily on the old Harlan Tarbell course in magic.
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
330 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Hi Flooglestreet,

May I suggest that you do not use the Tarbell material for your classes? I teach magic classes and for children in the age group you are about to teach I suggest you teach self working magic tricks.

These are easy to teach, and fun to learn and do by the kids. The most valuable source of self working magic is the Karl Fulves line of books. The subjects range from paper magic, to card magic, coin magic, magic numbers (a great educational theme), and tricks with everyday items, and even mental tricks.

Most magic dealers carry the Fulves line of self working magic books. Lots of luck. Continued success.

Best Regards,
Doc Dazzal
Dr. Dan
The Dr. Dan & Ozzie Dugan Show
Magic, Ventriloquism, & Mentalism
www.drdanandco.com
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Flogglestreet,

I too agree with Doc Dazzel and wouldn't use Tarbells as a reference to teach children magic. Great advice about using Fulves however! I have to agree with Doc again and would have recommended using those books.

Good Luck with your Magic Classes!! Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Flooglestreet,
Check out a search engine like Google for "teaching magic".
You'll find about a zillion sites, for all skills and ages.
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Check out http://www.mr-jim.com. There is an article in the March Magic magazine about magic camps.

Tim
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Richard Landry
View Profile
New user
Chatham, Illinois
18 Posts

Profile of Richard Landry
Flooglestreet, I teach a magic class that last 1 hour. Just remember that the tricks you teach have to be very easy for the kids to do otherwise they will get discouraged. I teach very simple, basic tricks and I buy my supplies in bulk from Rhode Island Novelty and D. Robbins & Co.

The kids get a magic instruction booklet along with several magic tricks that they can actually do (mind reading crayons, 2 card monte, snapper, loop de loop, etc.)
Richard Smile
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I am teaching a class this summer at camp and have just ordered the complete set of Fulves' Self Working Magic. Should be enough material for a long time!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I really think a "real" trick will be appealing to the kids. Any who are interested in magic probably have come across the crayon mindreading effect online or in books.

I would suggest a rope trick -- the one where you toss a knot onto the rope (or "snap" a knot onto the rope). I use a slip knot and "slide" the knot off the rope.

You might also consider a C&R rope (using the extra loop method) with a jump rope.

0pus
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
135 Posts

Profile of lhughes
The Tarbell course can have some good ideas, but you have to sift through a lot of material. I suggest the Buddha Papers as a good trick to teach. If it is made from different coloured papers, the trick is colourful, versatile, and gives something that the kids can take home. Fulve's book or Mark Wilson's course are also excellent places to look.
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
I also plan on teaching a magic class but mine will be for ages 11 and up. I have lots of ideas for putting this together and would help you out but this stuff is going to be a bit tricky for any one under 11.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » magic course for kids (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL