The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Best Night of My Life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pokerplayer269
View Profile
New user
Needham, MA
30 Posts

Profile of pokerplayer269
Hey guys. Yesterday I attended Justin Miller's lecture in Watertown Massachusetts, and I can honestly say that it was the best 3 hours of my life. 2 Years ago, when my entire repertoire was comprised of Ellusionist-produced effects, I said to my dad, "What do you think about going to see Justin Miller lecture for my 16th birthday?" This was when I was 14. Over those two years I became more mature in magic and learned that sites other than Ellusionist existed and that there was much more magic out there. Over time, my interest in seeing Justin Miller decreased greatly. After re-watching his videos, I found his style, performance, and effects to be pretty mediocre and bland. I didn't think he was a "bad" magician, but I didn't see anything too special about him.

Then, a few weeks ago, my cyber buddy Alex Bonner told me that he was going to be attending Justin's lecture in New York on the 28th of February. He told I should go. I didn't particularly care to go, but I thought I'd check it out as I've never been to a magic lecture before. I went to Justin's site and found out that he was lecturing at IBM ring 122 (Magic Art Studio) in Watertown, which is about 20 minutes away from my house. So, I decided to go. It was one of the best decisions I've made in magic. I got there around 8:00 PM. The lecture was suppsoed to start at aroudn 8:30. So I hung around the shop for a little while, while the IBM members were having their meeting. Then I saw Justin walk in. He too hung around the shop for a few mintues and shortly after entering, introduced himself to me in a very curteous manner. This shocked me greatly. I assumed that the sole reason he was there was to make so money and advertise himself. Boy was I wrong. We chatted for a few minutes. He asked me questions like "How long have you been in magic?" and "What kind of magic do you do?" and he really seemed interested and attentive to what I had to say. Soon, it was time for Justin to set up for the lecture so he said "Hey, you should so me your stuff after the lecture, I'd love to see it" which again shocked me. I thought he was simply making conversation to pass the time, but that last line really made me realize what a great guy Justin was. Then the lecture started. After our short conversation I had learned what a kind person he was, but still had my doubts about his presentation. Well, my opinion changed completely after the first 25 seconds of the lecture.

His presentations were very well thought out, interesting, and very believable. I also found out how funny he was. I was laughing and smiling constantly throughout the duration of the lecture at his witty lines. What was great was that unlike some magicians that I've seen, none of his humor felt forced or scricpted. In fact, I have no idea if he came up with his lines on the spot or if he worked them out beforehand. Either way though, he kept me very entertained for the entire show. The material was also excellent. Every single one of his routines were incredibly powerful and practical. The first effect he did I think was titled Traveling Light which was a very nice routine with an interesting storyline. If I remember correctly, I believe each of the 4 aces individually and VERY visually appeared between the Jokers. Then I think 4 selections were taken out and switched places with the Aces. I can gaurantee I forgot some part of the effect so I apologize. But trust me when I say it was a great routine. I think the next effect he did was a 3 card revelation which was very nice. Basically 3 selections were lost in the deck, and one at a time were revealed in various manners. I'm pretty sure then next routine he did was Time and Space which is a FANTASITC version of the classic mystery card plot. He sells it on his website and I highly recommend it. Then he did I think my favorite effect that evening, X Marks the Spot, also sold on his website. It completely fooled me. It combines the Cheek to Cheek deck with a fantastic plot. Check out the trailer on his site. I'm fairly certain that X Marks the Spot was the last of the card work. He proceeded to do a handful of great coin routines including Silver Dream and an excellent and surprising coins through table effect. After a short break, Justin did some AMAZING thread magic with both Loops and The Cloak. He did a very nice version of Banachek's PK Touches routine that I volunteered for Smile. He did a very, very fair rising card front glass effect utilizing The Cloak. He did a bunch of other thread effects, but I forget exactly what they were. Basically, the material Justin lectured was all top notch.

After the lecture I purchased the bundle he was offering which was the The Cloak DVD (including thread), the Time and Space DVD (including 6 gaffs), the X Marks the Spot DVD (including gaffs), the lecture notes on DVD, and a CD with his previous lecture notes titled "Huh?", "Locked In A Room Without Cards", and "Strolling Hands" which totals over 100 pages, I think closer to 150. All of that was only 100$. I think he said separately it was like $160 or so. So after that, he asked me if I was staying around for a bit. We talked a little more and he graciously signed my deck of cards. I also took a picture with him which I will attach once the guy that took the picture emails it. Then he asked me to show him something. I was incredibly nervous and my hands were visible shaking. I tried to get out of it saying "I don't have any original material" and he said "We all have to start somewhere." eventually he was able to coax me into showing him Lee Asher's Silver Surfer which I've been working hard at for a few months. He said smiled and complimented me and thanked me for coming. Justin Miller really the most courteous person I've ever met and a fantastic magician to boot. Sorry for this long post, but I just had to share this with you guys. Last night furthered my magic more than any of the books, DVDs, lecture notes, and eBooks I own ever could. Thanks for reading.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Hey pokerplayer269, that was a great review for the great lecture Justin Miller provided for us last nite. Ive been a big fan of Justin's for a few years now and last nite was my first time seeing him perform live. Justin is a great performer and excellent lecturer. Ive been to quite a few lecturers and Im usually yawing after the first 30 minutes but Justin kept my attention and eyes wide open for 3 HOURS!!! Ive been watching Justin's lecture DVD Backstage Pass all day and his effects VCR and Traveling Light along with playing with his new move Four on The Floor have kept my hands and mind very busy all day! One last thing, Justin has magic sleeves! Ive never seen sleeving done so beautifully. I wish I could have stayed longer but I had to run to the bus station before I missed the last bus back to Boston. Hope you come back soon Justin and get to see all the wonderful pieces of magic history The Magic Art Studio and Mini Museum preserves in Watertown,MA. Justin thank you for the inspiration.
-Paul
Astonishment as Therapy...?
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1168 Posts

Profile of APC
I was very upset that I could not go to the lecture. I am from Newton, so it would have been a great time to meet Justin in person. Unfortunately, school comes before magic. I have always had great experiences talking with Justin, and he is a great magician and person. I hope to see him lecture one day.
Adam
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It was a great lecture. Both ring 122 and assembly 9 meet at the Magic Art Studio. The lectures are often great. Ray Goulet also hosts lectures and auctions.

I was really impressed by his sleeving as well. He also added some touches just for magicians. He did a retention vanish, sleeved the coin, and placed his hand in a "Ramsey" posiiton to fool the magicians into thinking the coin was there when it was actually long gone.

Very nice.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
pokerplayer269
View Profile
New user
Needham, MA
30 Posts

Profile of pokerplayer269
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 14:13, marty.sasaki wrote:
It was a great lecture. Both ring 122 and assembly 9 meet at the Magic Art Studio. The lectures are often great. Ray Goulet also hosts lectures and auctions.

I was really impressed by his sleeving as well. He also added some touches just for magicians. He did a retention vanish, sleeved the coin, and placed his hand in a "Ramsey" posiiton to fool the magicians into thinking the coin was there when it was actually long gone.

Very nice.

Where were you sitting at the lecture?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I'm so glad you guys enjoyed Justin's lecture. He spent a few days with me while on tour and showed me some of his new material that we will be shooting and putting out on DVD this year JUST KILLER material. I think its the best stuff ever from Justin.

so look for that
Koz
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Justin Miller is one of the top selight of hand artists in the world and one of the TOP cretaors of closeup magic.

Anyone ever write Justin asking for help? I have and he treated me like I was an old friend ( I've never met or spoken to him ). He has a heart of gold and gifted hands!

And...He has another DVD coming out through Kozmo Magic? 2008 is THE BEST year for Magic since the early eighties!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I'm the big Japanese guy, these days with longish black, with streaks of gray hair. I was sitting near the back on the side away from the magic shop.

I was tempted to make the trip out to the Magic Barn last week to see his lecture again, but I got sick and decided to stay home and sleep.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Best Night of My Life (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL