The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Tricks And Stunts With Animal Traps (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
If I do...I'll clear the idea thru you as a test dude...Has a ring to it...Todd: Test Dude!

If you read it and say it's ok then I will...maybe it's old hat but I don't think so, as there is a fundemental stumbling block to the Prop (and it is but a prop) being used for anything but a sideshow stunt...I altered the stumbling block...not the trap, that remains un-messed with. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've been using my trap all the time (thanks again Ken, you were right they're great!), so would be more than interested in learning what other stuff can be done with it.

The eBook has my vote.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
It sounds great, has a lot of promise, especially wih the type audiences I play to.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Wouldn't be much of an eBOOK...more eNOTES...also I don't think it would be of much interest to a Side Show performer...more geared toward a Magic Can or Mental Cyst. But Xmosis could fly on a sideshow riser.

I don't know...let me think on it. Maybe I can throw some other stuff in there as well like my 'Lightning Monte' demonstration routine that uses a gaggle of $2 packet tricks...(blows 'em away) sort of the Anti-card trick for those who hate card tricks...doesn't give 'em time to 'peep'

Posted: Mar 22, 2006 10:56pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok...eNotes are ready $5...for Mentalists and Magicians...

http://grindshow.com/GrindShow/Traps.html

Thanks
Higley

OH...Xmosis is not part of it.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Great stuff.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Just got my copy of the notes.

I love em. Thanks Doug!!

If you want something that takes the traps from being a "show off" item to a full effect, then this is it.

Thanks again,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
I went on E-bay and bought 5 traps for $30. They were already "distressed" because they were used--and they smelled like it! Which, actually, was great because after I hand a trap out for inspection and people start looking it over, I hit them with the fact that they are used...and people start to have a "visceral" reaction before I have even started. I use that as part of my patter, building on it...

I recommend E-bay as a good place to get your "already distressed traps".
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Good score! Well since you ordered the Traps Routine...you'll see it's not exactly for a sideshow presentation as I've said...but hopefully you will find some value in it for a different approach.

For others not familiar with the traps or less experienced...Be careful...some are very strong and can hurt like hell...the Abbotts traps will not.

Thanks Doug
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I came home this evening to find Dougs email waiting for me. Well thought out Doug! Smile

I will email you tommorow with some thoughts, you clever git!

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Denny & Lee's magic shop in Baltimore also carry the Abbott's traps. Denny is the best and I like to throw him business whenever possible.

Todd
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks Todd! Abbotts sold out right away I understand but has started a list and getting more in. Smile Denny's probably got a few calls as well.
The Trap appeared on their best seller list at #9 on Sat and then moved to #4 and then #2 just under the Catalog (which is a perpetual #1)

The eBook thread will be keeping up with this. I'm not in contact with Abbotts but I'm hearing things from 'the boys'

Abbotts should put a '3 fer' package price together.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Update: Just talked to Abbotts and they got a new shipment of UNPLATED traps in today and can be ordered today. The Plated Traps will be next week. Abbotts:(269)432-3235
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Well, Doug Higley’s “Traps-A-Monte-Mental” (or Three Traps Monte) had its first outing last night at my regular stand-up bar gig. A bar full of slightly inebriated individuals is the perfect place to perform this routine. “Gross” goes a long way in a working class bar/pub (yes I will perform the “Razor Blades” and “Blockhead” in a pub, where else?).

I hesitate to write about any new routine after its first play for a paying public. I usually wait until it has been refined, with the lines settling into place, and worked a number of times (over a dozen) before I say “yea” or “nay” to the trick/routine. This routine is an exception. It has worked right out of the box.

I have been using “Real Danger” as a penultimate routine (next to last routine) for several months. It’s a “Stigmata”/”Shattered” trick wherein the magician can get really hurt (yeah sure hurt!).

I replaced “Real Danger” with “Traps-A-Monte-Mental” last night and got some of the strongest reactions ever from this kind of routine.

The three traps are set up on a rather old, nasty, stained (is that dark stain blood?) board resting on two chairs. They are covered by bandanas. I set them up before the show and covered them to keep then from stealing attention from me during the show (it’s all about me!).

When it is time of the routine I uncover the traps and begin the patter line and routine right from Doug’s notes.

The demonstration involves having a guy from the audience re-set a sprung trap then springing it using a bone (painted pretzel stick). The bone shatters. The reaction from both the guy having the stick shattered and the audience is great!

I really can’t go into the details of the by-play. Get Doug’s email notes for that. You can get the notes at:
http://grindshow.com/GrindShow/Traps.html

Bottom line, after much by-play and much moving of the set traps there comes a point where I must plunge my hand into a trap. You cannot imagine the squirming just before I plunge the hand or the squeals and screams when I finally plunge my hand into the trap and set it off.

There was stunned silence for a beat or two after the hand plunge, then a good strong round of applause as I lifted my hand, took off the trap and held the hand up for all to see (rotating it back to front a couple of times) and holding the trap up in the other hand (perfect applause cue). It was hard to follow so I didn’t. I bowed off!

The total investment in this trick is under $100.00. $5.00 for the notes, $83.00 (including postage) for three traps from Abbott’s (if you buy the Abbott’s traps, less if you go the eBay route), and the table or board to set-up on. I used three bandanas ($5.00 from Wall Mart) to cover the traps at the start (this is my touch, not in the notes, and is not necessary). Plus some thick pretzel sticks (bought mine at the dollar store) $1.25.

Please note I did paint the sticks with an old off-white paint that I had lying around. This step is not in the notes, is totally unnecessary, and is just a bit I did myself. I called the sticks “bones”. I believed that it added to the presentation.

All I can say is “that’s entertainment!”
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Harry said: "This step is not in the notes,..."

Doug says...It is now!

Great idea Harry!! And thank you for the field test and fine review. You are a War Horse! Smile

Wow...what a great post to wake up to!
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Hey guys... Would this type of trap work for this bit...It seems like it would be an easy one to de stress let me know what you think

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/CATALOG/d......0840.htm

Anton James
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You could probably use that trap. Its spread is only 4 inches while the jaw spread of the Abbott’s is 4 3/4-inches to 5-inches.

There is no work needed on the traps just use them as in the notes.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
So I have some animal traps but they make your hands realy dirty cause of the oxidised mettle...so is there any way you can seal the mettle with a clear selent?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Just clean em' off. Pour some lighter fluid on them and rub with steel wool, that should clean them nicely.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
You could also put a coat of clear matte paint on them. Just give them a light spray and it should do the trick.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Could someone PM me how to weaken the snap of a regular trap? I bought a few old rusty traps off of ebay and I want to go for this......but I need one of the pros to look out for a young buck. I would appreciate any help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Tricks And Stunts With Animal Traps (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL