The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movie Falsehoods thought as truth. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2008-02-29 14:06, Payne wrote:
Braveheart

I especially love the scene where the King of England sends his Queen to Scotland in a wagon with a couple of guards. In truth she would have traveled with an entourage of several hundred.

The Patriot.

Pretty much got nothing right

Gladiator

Loved the fact that Rome looked more like Speer's Berlin than it did ancient Rome

Wasn't that particular queen like 3 when Wallace died? They really screwed up several of the battles, but the one that really gets me was the depiction of Wallace. He was a Saxxon. He wouldn't have been wearing a kilt (or whatever you want to call whatever it was they were wearing) even if Scotts of that era wore kilts, which they didn't. "Great" or otherwise.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Another one, more general than specific to any particular movie is Tarot card reading. The character usually just puts the cards down in a row and each one is supposed to indicate something that's going to happen. (This shows up in "Live and Let Die," but I suggested to my wife, who used to read Tarot cards, that Solitare's power was such that she just might get away with it.)

Another thing is the reader will turn up the Death card and react in a shocked manner that the person getting the reading will... ulp... DIE!

Nope, sorry. The Death card indicates stagnation and decay... but that doesn't read as well in the movies.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
They are obviously a lot better at reading tarot than you or me for that matter LOL
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I saw Wiley Coyote on TV the other day and in reality, there is no way he could have survived after swallowing all of that dynamite.
ME
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
That's true.

Godzilla and King Kong are both a lot smaller in real life.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
The entirety of Patch Adams.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The DaVinci Code. What I find sad is that Dan Brown wrote the book as a piece of fiction....go into any bookstore, and you will find it in the FICTION section, however, there are numerous people out there who think the book is a work of NON-FICTION. I was at a "motivational" seminar, and Zig Ziglar was one of the speakers. He started his speech out talking about how The DaVinci Code was so full of lies and that Dan Brown was trying to pass these lies off as truths.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2008-03-02 12:54, mandrake01 wrote:
Another one, more general than specific to any particular movie is Tarot card reading. The character usually just puts the cards down in a row and each one is supposed to indicate something that's going to happen. (This shows up in "Live and Let Die," but I suggested to my wife, who used to read Tarot cards, that Solitare's power was such that she just might get away with it.)

Another thing is the reader will turn up the Death card and react in a shocked manner that the person getting the reading will... ulp... DIE

Nope, sorry. The Death card indicates stagnation and decay... but that doesn't read as well in the movies.

In "Live and Let Die" didn't they correctly use the tower, or 3 of swords for that?

As a Tarot reader, surely your wife knows there are a whole myriad of reading spreads. Many of them are pretty simple. All that really matters is that the significance of the placement be known before the card is shown, depending on your belief of the subject, of course.

Day 4
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
Saving Private Ryan
No Americans involved at Dunkirk
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 21:47, magicgeorge wrote:
That's true.

Godzilla and King Kong are both a lot smaller in real life.

The Stuntman; "How tall was King Kong?"

Quote:
On 2008-03-02 12:54, mandrake01 wrote:

Another thing is the reader will turn up the Death card and react in a shocked manner that the person getting the reading will... ulp... DIE

Quote:
In "Live and Let Die" didn't they correctly use the tower, or 3 of swords for that?

As a Tarot reader, surely your wife knows there are a whole myriad of reading spreads. Many of them are pretty simple. All that really matters is that the significance of the placement be known before the card is shown, depending on your belief of the subject, of course.

Day 4

She was in fact impressed that they got The Tower ("He brings destruction") and the Queen of Cups in an upside down position ("A decitful woman") right. However, Solitare would just lay the cards out in a straight line and each card would be the next link in the chain... no pattern is that simple.

And another "wowser" moment, (although it doesn't count specifically as getting something wrong.) They had their own Tarot pattern printed up and someone got the bright idea of having the back of the cards be a stylized "007" symbol!

...and they still always get Death wrong.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 12:34, trickytrav wrote:
Saving Private Ryan
No Americans involved at Dunkirk

A little off topic but still related.

War is hell and many movies miss that point. I had seen John Wayne type rolls storm the beaches in film so many times with a yell and a charge that it became something I just expected and never thought that much about. Of course that yell and charge always resulted in over running the enemy so that must be how it is in real life.

When the landing craft door dropped down in the opening scene of Private Ryan I expected more of the same Hollywood BS. I expected them to take the beach with minimal casualties. When they got mowed down before they could even get out of their seats it was like someone slapped me in the face and said.."that's how it really happens." People DIE and war sucks. I was embarrassed that I had been lulled into the hollywood myth of war while I really did know better. I think Speilberg knew this was true of many others as well and took advantage of it to make a point.

Best,

Tim
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
I remember how riveted I was in the first 18 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, and how different it was from every war movie I had ever seen. The moment the doors dropped and within seconds everyone was dead took my breath away.

My girlfriend's father made two of those landings. He was in the first marines division and landed at Peleliu and Okinawa--two of the bloodiest battles in the Pacific Theater. He managed through both of them without a scratch and was getting ready for the invasion of Japan when the war ended.

Sometimes I think that John Wayne did those men a little bit of a disservice by making war look so clean and simple and romantic.

Her father has told me a few stories...there was nothing romantic about it.

Day 4
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The Great Escape. No Americans involved in that as well.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Rambo: First Blood "Anti war protesters spat on me"

"Stories of spat-upon Vietnam veterans are bogus. Born out of accusations made by the Nixon administration, they were enlivened in popular culture (recall Rambo saying he was spat on by those maggots at the airport) and enhanced in the imaginations of Vietnam-generation men — some veterans, some not. The stories besmirch the reputation of the anti-war movement and help construct an alibi for why we lost the war: had it not been for the betrayal by liberals in Washington and radicals in the street, we could have defeated the Vietnamese. The stories also erase from public memory the image, discomforting to some Americans, of Vietnam veterans who helped end the carnage they had been part of."

- Jerry Lembcke, "The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam" (New York University Press, 1998)

http://www.vvaw.org/veteran/article/?id=350
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movie Falsehoods thought as truth. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL